Linus on the G5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Linus on the G5 Reply with quote

As everyone, I'm very interested in the G5, partially because of the great experience I've had running Gentoo on my iBook. I found some interesting comments from Linus' recently about this thoughts on the G5. My writeup, with more details, commentary and even some discussion, can be found here:

http://lefttochance.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=105&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0

I'll be shopping for a new Linux workstation in ~6 months, it'll either be an Opteron box, or a G5 running Gentoo Linux natch, so talk of 64Bit CPUs for Linux (especially with the new 2.6 kernel) is very interesting to me. After getting to play around with and open a dual 2.0 Gig G5 at Fry's yesterday, I have to say I'm leaning that way.

P
shr1nk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i dont know about the whole power pc thing....

after hearing how much everyone like the powerbook g4, how its so fast and how mac os x is so great, i decided to buy a powerbook g4 1ghz wih 1gb ram....

i am never getting a mac again....im sticking with x86 from now on....the only thing i like about my pbook is that its light and sexy...nothing else =/
phil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running OS X on it? I promise I was not one of the people that told you it was fast. ;) If you are running OS X on your pbook, I'd *highly* recommend running Gentoo on it. From your post I can't tell if you are, but while OS X is nice, I much perfer Linux, and on the Apple portables, especially Gentoo.

P
shr1nk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, ive been running linux on my pbook since the third day i got it

the only os i use is linux and has been for a few years

and besides, os x is DAMN slow
shr1nk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although....

this isnt to say that i wouldnt mind trying a g5 out...but, it'd have to be running linux..i cant stand os x
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PowerPC architecture is great - if you're a systems designer, a systems programmer, or an assembly language programmer.

Otherwise, to plain old users - it just means less customisablity, less available hardware etc.

I've never heard of anyone who makes a rather large purchase without first trying it out - I wonder whether you're just trying to start a flamewar.

As for not liking OS X - you must have not given it a chance. It seems quite well architected - compared to the mess that is Windows, or the lesser mess of X11. Plus, you can run those closed source apps people keep on asking for...

If you want to give it a second chance - try MacOnLinux. Free virtualisation software for the PowerPC... Wow, why doesn't the x86 have one yet...?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: