Aspell installation and "build cloud" suggestion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ocatrapseee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Aspell installation and "build cloud" suggestion Reply with quote

I'm using Gentoo since some time ago, not much, but sufficient to have adapted myself well from Chakra to Gentoo, and I'm liking it a lot. :) So hello to all from this recent Gentoo user.

This is my first message here, so excuse if I'm not familiar with the conventions in this forum; also excuse the errors with the language, but even if there is a Gentoo forum in my language, it seems that real experts are in the american forum, so, it's more probable that I can get the rightest and quickest answer here.

Well, I wanted to ask a couple of questions:
[Edited. I forgot that also Hunspell wants to force users to install the english dictionary]
Is there any reason to install the english dictionary for aspell and hunspell for non english speaker users? Aspell's ebuild contains a line which reads
Code:
PDEPEND="app-dicts/aspell-en"

And Hunspel's:
Code:
DICT_DEP="app-dicts/myspell-en"

I experimented deleting those lines, recreating the manifests and reinstalling, and everything functions well: Portage installed the correct diccionary for my locale, and a couple of months since that "lightening" action I still have not noticed any extrange functioning. The annoyment is that every time I sync Portage tree my modified ebuilds disappears. I have it copied elsewhere and just need to restore it and recreate its manifest when needed, but its an annoying process. Could said unnecesary -apparentely, since users desired dictionaries seem to get installed correctly without it- dependence be removed in the "official" ebuilds?

The suggestion:
The main "problem" with source code based distros that I percieve is the long time needed for compilations. Would it be possible -and affordable, of course- to set up "compilation servers"?: The users starts the merge process on his computer, and thanks to some configuration in make.conf or wherever, which especifies the URL of a compilation server, Portage sends all the needed user's Portage configuration data to said server, which does all the build process according to the mentioned configuration data -USE flags, CPU flags, GCC version, etc- and sends the package once built to Portage on the user's PC to be installed.
This would make the merge process of GCC, or any of those sets of packages like QT, Plasma, etc, that take hours on average PP.CC, just minutes. To reduce server and bandwidth load the servers could only accept big packages or sets, and reject small "quatities" that take only some minutes to build on an average computer; or perhaps the server could estimate, according to the configuration info sent to it by Portage, if the compilation process would be very slow on the user's PC and then decide if it, the server, "accepts" the job or not.
The security concerned users perhaps won't like to install software compiled outside their machines, but with good encrypted channels, checksum verifications and all those measures used all across the Internet to minimize risks in transmissions I think most users would greatly appreciate this method.

Is just a "draft" of an idea, I'm sure you experts can reelaborate better, of course just in the case that Gentoo.org, or some other collaborative organizations can afford it in terms of resources and bandwidth.

Cheers.

Last edited by Ocatrapseee on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ocatrapseee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aspell installation and installation related suggestion Reply with quote

It seems that nobody knows the answer about the a/hunspell issue, so -and please excuse my ignorance about the precise protocol-, in these cases what should one do, contact the mantainer of the packages at the Gentoo bugzilla site?

BTW, wouldn't it be more logic if it were necessary only to register once, and the created user were valid for all Gentoo sites? For what I've seem, if I want to participate in the forums I need to create one account; if I want to report bugs I have to create a new account on the Bugzilla site; if I want to collaborate in the wiki, translating or whatever, I need another more account. It's rather absurd, no? Wouldn't it be more intelligent to centralize all that stuff?

Cheers
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Aspell installation and installation related suggestion Reply with quote

Ocatrapseee wrote:
It seems that nobody knows the answer about the a/hunspell issue, so -and please excuse my ignorance about the precise protocol-, in these cases what should one do, contact the mantainer of the packages at the Gentoo bugzilla site?

Ocatrapseee ... looking at the ebuild I think you should be able to to the following ...

Code:
# USE="-linguas_en" emerge -pv app-text/aspell app-text/hunspell

... this way the useflag is negated (something you can't do in the LINGUAS variable). If this is the case (untested) then the following should work ...

/etc/portage/package.use:
app-text/aspell -linguas_en
app-text/hunspell -linguas_en

Subsequently you should be able to --depclean and have app-dicts/aspell-en slatted for removal.

Ocatrapseee wrote:
BTW, wouldn't it be more logic if it were necessary only to register once, and the created user were valid for all Gentoo sites? For what I've seem, if I want to participate in the forums I need to create one account; if I want to report bugs I have to create a new account on the Bugzilla site; if I want to collaborate in the wiki, translating or whatever, I need another more account. It's rather absurd, no? Wouldn't it be more intelligent to centralize all that stuff?

Most sites do this by the use of OpenID, unfortunately using such a service would make gentoo dependent on it, and that would be a violation of gentoo's Charter.

best ... khay
Ocatrapseee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Aspell installation and installation related suggestion Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
Ocatrapseee wrote:

Ocatrapseee ... looking at the ebuild I think you should be able to to the following ...

Code:

... this way the useflag is negated (something you can't do in the LINGUAS variable). If this is the case (untested) then the following should work ...

Thank you, khayyam. I thought that kind of "hardcoded" dependencies could not be removed by simple package.use editing or USE flag "recipes" when emerging; that's why I went edit the ebuild file.. I don't know why I thought that, because in fact I haven't read it anywhere, so it was a silly assumption of mine.
Anyway, I think I'll ask in the Bugzilla if those dependencies can't be removed by default. Most people won't probably notice that they are installing innecessary stuff; true that it doesn't weigh a lot nor decreases agility of the system, but if someone speaks mandarin why should them install an orthography corrector in any other language.

khayyam wrote:
Ocatrapseee wrote:

Most sites do this by the use of OpenID, unfortunately using such a service would make gentoo dependent on it, and that would be a violation of gentoo's Charter.

Ah, wasn't aware of that. For instance, kde.org only requires one registration to log in their forums and bug report system. I thought it was something sort of "standarized", easy and not independency compromising. Ok, I can live with it.

Thanks again. :)

## EDIT ##

Doesn't work :-/
Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] app-text/hunspell-1.3.3::gentoo  USE="ncurses nls readline -static-libs" LINGUAS="es -af -bg -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en -eo -et -fo -fr -ga -gl -he -hr -hu -ia -id -is -it -km -ku -lt -lv -mk -ms -nb -nl -nn -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -sl -sq -sv -sw -tn -uk -zu" 963 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] app-text/aspell-0.60.6.1-r1::gentoo  USE="nls" LINGUAS="es -af -be -bg -br -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en -eo -et -fi -fo -fr -ga -gl -he -hr -is -it -la -lt -nl -no -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr -sv -uk -vi" 1.835 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-dicts/aspell-en-7.1.0::gentoo  172 KiB[/

It seems that the only way is editing the ebuilds.
Ok, I'll contact the mantainers. Thanks anyway.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Aspell installation and installation related suggestion Reply with quote

Ocatrapseee wrote:
khayyam wrote:
... looking at the ebuild I think you should be able to to the following ...

Code:

Thank you, khayyam. I thought that kind of "hardcoded" dependencies could not be removed by simple package.use editing or USE flag "recipes" when emerging; that's why I went edit the ebuild file.. I don't know why I thought that, because in fact I haven't read it anywhere, so it was a silly assumption of mine.

Ocatrapseee ... you're welcome. Just to explain a little bit ...LINGUAS is a USE_EXPAND and so, like CPU_FLAGS_X86, ABI_X86, etc, can be applied similarly to USE.

Ocatrapseee wrote:
## EDIT ##

Doesn't work :-/ [...] It seems that the only way is editing the ebuilds.

Oh, ok ... well, there is another way, you can add the package to package.provided:

/etc/portage/profile/package.provided:
app-dicts/aspell-en-7.1.0

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: