Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
new install, what is the position on systemd?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: new install, what is the position on systemd? Reply with quote

Must say I haven't followed this for the last year and now I need a new install. So I started reading the handbook before I started and saw that systemd is "optional" and the handbook focusses on openrc. Fine for me. Did a quick search on the forum but there wasn't any recent posts about this.

But the handbook was last updated on 2 january 2015. So no new things last year? And what is now the position on systemd?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are profiles for systemd. I have seen people post emerge --info for systemd profiles when asking about issues that are not init-system specific (e.g. an X11 package failing to build), so I expect the systemd profiles work well enough for daily use. I use a non-systemd profile and stay on openrc, and that has not caused me any problems.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'll just follow the handbook then. I assume it is still conform.
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: new install, what is the position on systemd? Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
Must say I haven't followed this for the last year and now I need a new install. So I started reading the handbook before I started and saw that systemd is "optional" and the handbook focusses on openrc. Fine for me. Did a quick search on the forum but there wasn't any recent posts about this.

But the handbook was last updated on 2 january 2015. So no new things last year? And what is now the position on systemd?

Philosophically, systemd is pretty much universally reviled here, but the gentoo implementation on desktops (for me) is rock-solid stable and has been for a couple of years. So I use systemd rather than having to go off-reservation to make gnome3 work. I'm not that happy that Gnome went the way of systemd dependency, but by the time they did that I was already using systemd/Gnome3 here and quite liked it. Others understandably just gave away Gnome3 rather than migrate to systemd.

I keep a few openrc machines running xfce4 just to stay current in case of sudden license changes that require moving my desktops back ;)

So, if your question is one of usability, systemd is a perfectly usable imperfect system ;) If your question is: 'what is the default these days?' it's openrc. I see (rightly or wrongly) systemd purely for gnome3 desktops. I don't use it anywhere else (excluding a couple of testing vm's with various configs).

The devs here have done a great job making systemd optionally available, however, if I had to choose one system and stick with it: I'd stick with the default.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using systemd with kde4 on ~amd64 (I manually masked qt5 packages) for 6-9 months without any problems related to systemd. Gentoo systemd support is good in my opinion. As mentioned make sure to use a systemd profile if/when you switch to it. What I did was ran openrc for a while and then switched to systemd using the Gentoo Wiki entry for systemd. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd

Also I should mention that when I ran KDE Plasma 5 on Gentoo systemd things worked fine with the systemd part as well. In fact, in my opion it worked better with systemd at the time as there was some weirdness with consolekit.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: