View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apreche
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: kwrite/mail sans kde Reply with quote

Thanks to this forum I have discovered the wonderfun window manager known as xfce. Very soon I am going to redo my entire gentoo installation with the 2.6 kernel (which will support SATA) and begin using linux much much more. But I have one problem. I have always used KDE for two reasons, KMail and KWrite. I'm not really interested in using alternative software. I'm not the biggest fan of evolution and KWrite is just my all time favorite text editor. My predicament is that I'm going to have a completely new gentoo installation, but I don't plan on emerging KDE. It takes a long time, and I'm not going to use it. However, I really want to have those two applications. Is there a way to emerge just kwrite and kmail without carrying in all the other kde baggage? I don't mind the qt baggage since I need it for other apps anyway.

Oh yeah, side note. If anyone knows of a good replacement for the xfce panel please tell me. I don't like the gnome panel though, so don't suggest that one.
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every kde package accepts an environment variable called DO_NOT_COMPILE which contains a list of all of the parts of that package you don't want to install.

You will have to spend some time tweaking that variable in order to achieve the effect you want, but it is possible to do all the these things.
Apreche
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically, how exactly would I go about using emerge to install just the following programs, without installing all of kde?

Kwrite
Kmail
Kdevelop
Kpanel (Kappfinder, Kmenu, and panel applets to acheive full functionality in another wm).

I know I'll have to have qt working properly, but that's as simple as emerge qt.

This question has been on my mind for awhile. Thanks!
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge kdelibs and kdebase and you'll get 99% of it

kmail is in kdepim, and you'll need kdenetwork for that. As for how much of all of it you want, you'll have to experiment as I don't know what the internal dependencies are.
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try
export DO_NOT_COMPILE="
doc
kdict
kfile-plugins
kget
kit
kpf
kppp
krdc
krfb
ksirc
ktalkd
kxmlrpc
lanbrowsing
knewsticker
certmanager
knode
korn "

I only am emerging the kmail *libkdenetwork *libmimelib and kmailcvt parts. I may experiment if this doesn't work.

*edit: I tried w/o libkdenetwork,libmimelib and it failed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: