View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesterspet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: xf86cfg is my new friend :-) Reply with quote

One tip for those who are upgrading your video or input harware, use the tools provided by XFree86.

While this may not seem like a great tip, as there are plenty of threads & forums & such for getting Xfree86 to work for just about any configuration, this obscure app that is in practily every XFree86 install, really helped me out when I was upgrading.

A misconfigured Xserver can damage a monitor, and I am not the saviest person when it comes to setting up the XF86Config file by hand.

I have avoided a great deal of hardships by using xf86cfg to preconfigure Xfree86 for a new monitor. I was able to test out Xinerama, and Multi-monitor configurations, before just getting rid of the old monitor. I have also used it to troubleshoot my mouse & getting my Windows Keys on my M$Natural keyboard working the way I wanted them to.

Not only can you get your equipment working, but you can take all those specs for your equipment and ensure that X knows about the capabilities & limitations of what you are throwing at it.

Oh, did I mention that it runs on any WindowManager/DesktopEnviroment :?:
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the thing can save your hide since it also has a little numpad2mouse program.

You can actually use your computer, even if you forgot to compile your USB mouse drivers into the kernel... :oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: