Cross-platform password managers with browser support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abduct
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Cross-platform password managers with browser support Reply with quote

Hi everyone I am having a bit of a problem migrating my password database from Windows to Gentoo.

I am trying to migrate Keepass 2.31 database to Gentoo only to find out that Keepass is .net and only supported under mono, which I do not want on my system (and even if I did it gives me a long list of compile errors from emerge).

The reason for choosing Keepass on Windows was because:

-It allows password databases to be stored locally and it was up to you to provide a synchronization method
-It had fairly good FireFox integration support via KeeFox.

But now that I am trying to move databases onto my Gentoo machine the whole fact that it was written in .net is really putting a fork in my plans. I have seen some replacements in the Wiki such as KeepassX (which I use GTK and not QT so I don't want it), and KeepassC (Which only supports 1.x databases and there are no signs of FireFox support).

So I am here to ask:

What are some cross-platform password managers that have good support for both Windows and Gentoo?

-That have FireFox add-ons to implement password auto fill or password finding
-That have the standard functions of a password manager such as password to clipboard, auto clipboard clearing, password groups for organization, etc
-That has command line support (I spend a lot of time with elinks in screen and only start X11 when needed)
-That are not cloud based and are a single file solution
-That are actually secure and hopefully reviewed by peers
-That *hopefully* has an android client as well
-*Bonus* That can work both via command line and X11 (GTK) (To be honest as long as Firefox can add passwords and I have a way to edit the database to remove/edit them it can be a headless server daemon for all I care).

Does anyone have a solution for me? I don't mind if I can't export the database directly and have to do it by hand as long as it has the majority of the feature set I need. I guess if the FireFox add-on support can't be had then as long as the UI is intuitive enough to copy the username/password from it so I can manually paste it could be fine although a pain in the butt.

Thanks!

edit:: It seems the closest solution I have found so far is Pass (https://www.passwordstore.org/). It seems to have cross platform support all-be-it buggy, although it requires some form of GPG to be installed on all platforms. So far this seems like a solution I will have to look more in depth into since everything else I have come across so far is not even remotely close to fulfilling my quota of features.
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!,

I use keepass on windows, linux and android + owncloud to share the password file on my Gentoo NAS.

The latest unstable versions of mono, libgdiplus and keepass are OK on my computer.
spectromas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest Pass but I've only used in linux. The PassFF firefox addon works really well. I've no idea about Windows usage though, I guess that could be the sticking point in your case.
abduct
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaviermiller wrote:
Hi!,

I use keepass on windows, linux and android + owncloud to share the password file on my Gentoo NAS.

The latest unstable versions of mono, libgdiplus and keepass are OK on my computer.

I will have to pull up the mono installation logs to figure out why it was not installing later on if I can't find a suitable replacement. After about an half hour of emerging it decided to spit out a mouth full of errors.

spectromas wrote:
I was going to suggest Pass but I've only used in linux. The PassFF firefox addon works really well. I've no idea about Windows usage though, I guess that could be the sticking point in your case.

The more I look at Pass the more it seems to be like a semi suitable choice. I am going to give its Windows and Android applications a test, although I've heard really good things about it on Linux.

I may even attempt to just use the two separate managers. KeePass on Windows/Android and Pass on Linux, since my passwords don't have to be synced all to often I can use the Keepass2pass.py script provided to sync databases once in a while.

It still sucks that there isn't much of a all in one solution with native clients for each platform.
abduct
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectromas wrote:

Can you help explain how to setup PassFF.

I have a bit of a unique setup in which firefox is ran as it's own user while everything else runs as my user.

PassFF doesn't seem to list any of my passwords even though I set the user home to /home/abduct and pass store dir to .password-store.

The permissions on the /home/abduct/.password-store and all sub directories is 0770 and it is owned by abduct:firefox in which myself and the firefox user is added to the group firefox.

I've imported my data from keepass2 xml and the file format is:

Code:
Password Store
> MainDatabase
  > Sites
    >gentoo.org

and the output from a decrypted file containing the passwords are in the format of:

Code:
*randomly generated password*
UserName: abduct
URL: https://forums.gentoo.org/login.php

I don't think this is a problem with the install and importing since everything is functioning normally, so it is something relating to permissions and PassFF specifically.

Edit:: I went as far as to adding a symlink owned by firefox:firefox pointing from /home/firefox/.password-store to /home/abduct/.password-store and changing PassFF to point to /home/firefox to see if that would do anything and nothing as of yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: