KRB/LDAP authentication/authorization to AD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: KRB/LDAP authentication/authorization to AD Reply with quote

I have been wondering about this, and maybe one of you could explain this to me. I am working on setting some some linux guests to authenticate to an AD (Windows Server 2012 r2 specifically), but yet most guides is always having you using samba and setting up with winbind on the linux machine. From my understanding, AD uses LDAP as it's foundation with Kerberos; so you should be able to just connect directly to it without using winbind and Samba.

From my what I have gotten to work and my own tests, it's fairly straight forward to setup krb5 to authenticate to the AD DC (which is also the KDC) quite easily, without much issues). I'm still working on setting up ldap connection (as I have no experience using ldap directly), but my initial setup has already yielded to where I can retrieve records from the AD. The only small hurdle that I am encountering now, is authenticating the host to the AD, to allow like PAM to connect (I am slowly working on resolving this, and should be resolved soon). I could have disabled this security feature in AD, but I don't see where this would have to be done.

So it lies down to, why both going through the hassel to setup winbind, when it's use isn't necessary much anymore? (Windows 2012 on has Unix attribute extensions already applied, so translation between Windows and Unix login shouldn't be necessary anymore)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: KRB/LDAP authentication/authorization to AD Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
I have been wondering about this, and maybe one of you could explain this to me. I am working on setting some some linux guests to authenticate to an AD (Windows Server 2012 r2 specifically), but yet most guides is always having you using samba and setting up with winbind on the linux machine. From my understanding, AD uses LDAP as it's foundation with Kerberos; so you should be able to just connect directly to it without using winbind and Samba.

Yeah you can, using krb5 (MIT iirc) as you outline. We did this, many years ago, using Gentoo on a web-server. (The requirement was for an intranet phpBB instance to log users in via AD over ssl, for convenience and so password maintenance was not handled by the bulletin-board.)
You need a DNS server that will accept record updates (I can't remember the exact term); djbdns with patches serves very nicely as a caching-DNS (on the Linux server), even where AD provides it for the LAN. ISTR something about needing to add records, and you definitely need access to the non-standard data, so djbdns gave us that (and speed-up on other dns queries.)
Quote:
The only small hurdle that I am encountering now, is authenticating the host to the AD, to allow like PAM to connect (I am slowly working on resolving this, and should be resolved soon). I could have disabled this security feature in AD, but I don't see where this would have to be done.

The bit that sticks in my mind is "SAMAccountName" is what Windoze calls user names (relevant to code which is constructing a login request.) UNIX tends to call that "user login name" formally or just "user" or "login" in code. "$LOGNAME" in shell.
Though maybe that's not needed any more, with what you said about translation.

And may not be relevant to the overall job, as I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already put out PAM modules for this.

wrt samba/winbind, I think people just find it easier. It's certainly useful for browsing the Windows Network to see what's out there.
LISA was the best GUI app for that.
Syl20
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think SSSD is the easiest solution. You can configure it to use the AD as an AD, or as a "simple" ldap server. And it provides a PAM module.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lost now; what's SSSD?

Sorry, not had to deal with this stuff for ages (TF.)
Syl20
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-auth/sssd
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/

:wink:

I discovered SSSD recently, when I had to enrol some CentOS servers in a AD 2012 structure. Once SSSD and its dependencies installed, the registration is very simple : just one command, which makes nearly all the job (ldap, kerberos, NSS, PAM, and so on), and, potentially, two or three tweaks in its configuration file. And voilà... :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: