View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Cannot login through sddm after kde-plasma 5 install Reply with quote

Hi, I'm fighting against my incompetence studying all what I find in Gentoo forum, but I have no success as regards my problem. Here it is: I installed without any trouble through Sakaki's EFI Install Guide my openRC encrypted lvm UEFI Gentoo system, but I used kde-plasma 5 (kde-plasma/plasma-meta) instead of Gnome. I rc-updated dbus and consolekit, set /etc/conf.d/xdm to "sddm", configured sddm.conf, put sddm user in video group. I did all what I think should have been done, but I can't login through sddm since my user passwd is accepted, but the login shell disappears for about 1 second, and then comes back again, and so on. Commuting to Ctrl-Alt F1, I can login and work, but I have no usable GUI. I think it could be a problem of permissions, but I don't succeed to manage it. I hope someone will help me to win my battle. Many thanks in advance.
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it could be a problem of permissions, but I don't succeed to manage it.

can you get into the desktop with startx command?
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

albright wrote:
Quote:
I think it could be a problem of permissions, but I don't succeed to manage it.

can you get into the desktop with startx command?

Sorry for my late answer, but I was at work.
Thanks for your question. No, absolutely not. If I modify the default runlevel in /etc/inittab so to boot directly into a virtual terminal, and run startx as user, I see just for a second or two KDE-plasma trying to come up, but immediately vanishing, and I receive this output:

"The X11 connection broke (error 1). Did the X11 server die?
kdeinit5: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit5: sending SIGHUP to children.
xinit: connection to X server lost
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kdeinit5: Exit.
Closing SQL connection: "kactivities_db_resources_139785567188864_readwrite"

Then I'm put back into my home prompt, and I read:

"Could not connect to D-Bus server: .... /usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.

startkde: Shutting down...
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-giocitta'
Error: Can not contact kdeinit5!
xprop: unable to open display ':0'
startkde: Done."

That is all.
Thanks again for your courtesy.
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wandered lonely as a cloud three days along the Internet, and finally I found solution to my problem: at the moment, the solution is that no solution is possible, since SDDM/Breeze and perhaps consolekit don't perfectly engage each with the other in Gentoo's kde-plasma/plasma-meta 5.5.5. See, in example, what is accurately discussed in SDDM/Breeze Issue With qt5 (bbs,archlinux.org). So, I'll work only through my CLI while waiting for Gentoo's kde-plasma 5.6. How long will it be necessary to wait?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it works perfectly fine for a lot of people, could you at least provide a link to what you have found? The problem is not obvious to me.

PS: consolekit-1.1.0 was just released which implements XDG_RUNTIME_DIR so you might want to give that a try.
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
As it works perfectly fine for a lot of people, could you at least provide a link to what you have found? The problem is not obvious to me.

PS: consolekit-1.1.0 was just released which implements XDG_RUNTIME_DIR so you might want to give that a try.

Reason: Hi genstorm, thanks for the kindness of your message. I wish to immediately try consolekit 1.1.0, but I don't know how to proceed: where to find the ebuild, and how to install in place of my consolekit-1.0.0 ? Can you help me further? Again thanks.

Merged from 'Report violations, duplicates, misplaced posts, etc.' as it seems the above post was accidentally reported, instead of quoted.Chiitoo
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:

Hi genstorm, thanks for the kindness of your message. I'll shall immediately try consolekit 1.1.0.

Last edited by giocitta on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="giocitta"]
genstorm wrote:

Hi genstorm, thanks for your suggestion. I immediately downloaded the ebuild of consolekit 1.1.0, and installed the package. Nothing changed. The problem is that my Gentoo works perfectly from CLI, but I can't login to plasma 5: my passwd is accepted, but the login GUI disappears for 1-2 seconds showing my CLI interface, and again reappears asking for the passwd. And so on. If I modify /etc/inittab so to have the next boot with initdefault 2, login as user, and call startx, I get the messages reported above. Few days ago, my desktop was correctly working using Gnome 3.18, before I reinstalled everything to try plasma 5.
Tae_kyon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem today, after an emerge world.
Login from sddm to plasma no longer worked.

I found out this was due to consolekit having upgraded from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0 - downgrading to 1.0.1 worked, but then I realized how dumb I was - emerged the new consolekit again and

Code:
/etc/init.d/consolekit restart

Code:
/etc/init.d/xdm restart

Everything works fine. So, are you sure your consolekit is running?

Code:
/etc/init.d/consolekit status

And the one you are running is the one you last installed? If you have a very long uptime this might be a problem.
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tae_kyon wrote:
I had a similar problem today, after an emerge world.
Login from sddm to plasma no longer worked.

I found out this was due to consolekit having upgraded from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0 - downgrading to 1.0.1 worked, but then I realized how dumb I was - emerged the new consolekit again and

Code:
/etc/init.d/consolekit restart

Code:
/etc/init.d/xdm restart

Everything works fine. So, are you sure your consolekit is running?

Code:
/etc/init.d/consolekit status

And the one you are running is the one you last installed? If you have a very long uptime this might be a problem.

Hi Tae_kyon, I followed your suggestions, but got no success. Now I'm reinstalling xorg-server, xorg-drivers and plasma-meta. I'll come back soon. Thanks.
Satarsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same problem after the latest update. I found that
Code:

chmod g=r /etc/shadow
chmod o=r /etc/shadow
chmod u+s /usr/lib64/libexec/kcheckpass

solves my problem.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should not be necessary under normal circumstances. What filesystems do you use? Which use flags for kinit?
Satarsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
That should not be necessary under normal circumstances. What filesystems do you use? Which use flags for kinit?

I agree, it is less secure.
I use ext4 over LUKS.

Code:

[I] kde-frameworks/kinit
     Available versions:  (5) (~)5.18.0(5/5.18) (~)5.19.0(5/5.19) (~)5.20.0(5/5.20) **9999(5/9999)[1]
       {+caps debug doc +man}
     Installed versions:  5.20.0(5)(06:47:38 03/21/16)(caps man -debug -doc)
     Homepage:            https://www.kde.org/
     Description:         Helper library to speed up start of applications on KDE work spaces
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably, you're on latest version of pam (1.2.1-r1)? Did you configure XATTR support in your kernel? See also https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=564618#c15
Satarsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Presumably, you're on latest version of pam (1.2.1-r1)?

Yes, I am:
Code:

[I] sys-libs/pam
     Available versions:  1.1.5 1.1.6-r2 (~)1.1.8 (~)1.1.8-r1 1.1.8-r2 (~)1.1.8-r3 (~)1.2.0 1.2.1 (~)1.2.1-r1 {audit berkdb cracklib debug +filecaps nis nls +pie selinux test vim-syntax ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_PPC="32 64" ABI_S390="32 64" ABI_X86="32 64 x32" ELIBC="FreeBSD glibc"}
     Installed versions:  1.2.1-r1(15:03:01 12/19/15)(cracklib filecaps nls pie -audit -berkdb -debug -nis -selinux -test -vim-syntax ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32")

genstorm wrote:

Did you configure XATTR support in your kernel?

There is no such option for ext4, I have only checked the POSIX ACL option in, which is, probably, the same?

genstorm wrote:

See also https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=564618#c15

Thank you for the link. This is exactly my issue. It is suggested to rebuild pam with -filecaps. I'll try to do that.
Satarsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, after rebuilding kscreenlocker (just in case), pam with -filecaps, and removing flags o=r and g=r from /etc/shadow everything works fine. Thank you.
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Satarsa and genstorm, I accurately followed your suggestions, but got no success. I hope my wgetpaste about "emerge --info pam" will be useful: https://bpaste.net/show/de093acb05fc. Thanks.

Made the period not be part of the URL, as it was leading to a 404.Chiitoo
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck yet on that matter?

In IRC someone did solve a similar problem like yours by removing .Xauthority...
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Any luck yet on that matter?

In IRC someone did solve a similar problem like yours by removing .Xauthority...

Hi genstorm,
thanks for your interest in my desperate problem.
In the past I tried to remove .Xauthority with no success.
It is not a problem of password or permissions, nor it seems to be an sddm/breeze problem. At the moment, I removed at all kde-plasma, and I installed without any problem gnome 3.18 and afterwards gnome 3.20. The single partition hosting Gentoo is crypted and lvm formatted, secure boot is enabled both for Windows 10 (that I do not use...) and for Gentoo. My kernel has been signed following Sakaki's EFI guide.
As soon as kde-plasma 5.6 will be ready in Gentoo's overlays, I'll try again. And obviously I'll inform you of my results.
Again thanks.

Giorgio
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your "emerge --info pam" output you have both consolekit and systemd USE flags set, if you are running systemd than the consolekit USE flag should not be set.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jburns wrote:
In your "emerge --info pam" output you have both consolekit and systemd USE flags set, if you are running systemd than the consolekit USE flag should not be set.

Yes - nice catch... Plus this is (cough) mentioned on the Gentoo systemd wiki page .../

I've had consolekit globally disabled for many months now ...
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jburns wrote:

Terrible disattention! Yes, as BobWya wrote: nice catch!! I followed Sakaki's EFI Guide where this necessity (-consolekit USE flag in make.conf) is not considered owing to the fact that the target desktop is gnome (and so consolekit will not enter ionto plasy). Now I'll unmerge Gnome 3.20, change profile to plasma/systemd, adjust all what is necessary to adjust, and try installing again kde-plasma/plasma-meta. I hope my wandering will so arrive at its conclusion. Thanks to both my helpers.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first posts didn't give the impression you were running a systemd system? What profile have you been using then?
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Your first posts didn't give the impression you were running a systemd system? What profile have you been using then?

Hi genstorm, you are absolutely right! After the repeated unsuccesses, I changed from openRC to systemd (but forgot to report this raptus...). Nothing changed owing to my disattention not to keep away consolekit from make.conf.
Conclusion: with openRC it is at the moment impossible to login through sddm or other dm. The same happens with systemd (but here probably the reason lies in that consolekit/systemd conflict of coesistence). Obviously, I'll try again in the next days, and I'll inform you of the results.
Thanks again for the resolutive help you gave me in many instances.
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giocitta wrote:
genstorm wrote:

Hi genstorm, you are absolutely right! After the repeated unsuccesses, I changed from openRC to systemd (but forgot to report this raptus...). Nothing changed owing to my disattention not to keep away consolekit from make.conf.
Conclusion: with openRC it is at the moment impossible to login through sddm or other dm. The same happens with systemd (but here probably the reason lies in that consolekit/systemd conflict of coesistence). Obviously, I'll try again in the next days, and I'll inform you of the results.
Thanks again for the resolutive help you gave me in many instances.

Hi all,
as promised I tried again (Gentoo, crypted partition, lvm, Sakaki's directives, systemd, nouveau, X, plasma-meta 5.6.1, no consolekit - every passage performed with the greatest attention!). Nothing changed: I reach sddm login screen, passwd is accepted, but in 1-2 seconds I'm again presented an sddm login screen, and so on. The same happens if I change from breeze theme to any other sddm theme. The same happens if I call startx as user from a cli. I cannot unmerge sddm since it is now integral part of plasma-meta. If I try to install lightdm, kde-plasma is nearly completely unmerged.
Any suggestion for me?
Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: