I'm a bit confused.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamebot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: I'm a bit confused. Reply with quote

I am a little confused about all the extra stuff you need to do or check whenever you run emerge. Things like etc-update, modules-update, masking, make modules, etc.

How do I know if I have to run make modules modules_install to install something?

Where is good comprehensive documentation about building and/or installing programs and the different ways that this can be done?

Is there a log file that is created when running emerge that logs all the instructions that flash by on the screen? Maybe I need to redirect the output to a logfile mabye? What is the best way to do this?

Thanks
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the rest, but make modules modules_install are kernel commands and shouldn't have anything to do with emerge.

However, I am a n00b, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Only docs I have found and used so far are:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml

and this forum.

I used etc-update and modules-update while going through the doc above, but haven't seen another use for it.

man emerge has some good info on using emerge, including emerge search package which I have used quite a bit.

-BiggJ
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you should have to do for most packages is check the config files you might need to update. Follow the directions in emerge --help config, stay away from etc-update and any auto-updating of your config files, and learn how to use the diff command (really easy), i.e.
Code:
diff yourconfig ._cfg0001_yourconfig
to see what it wants to change.

Suggested reading:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-user.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/use-howto.xml
flamebot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks a bunch guys.

I have read the portage user and manual, but they just don't explain things that could go wrong or how to prepare yourself to keep from breaking things.

See I just updated my system (emerge -u system) and then I did etc-config and it gave me an option for 1 2 or 3 and it replaced my rc.conf and fstab with default ones and hosed me all up. It took me forever to figure it out. :oops:

What are a couple of linux books that would help on understanding program locations, configurations, kernel compiling and options and that kind of stuff?
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamebot wrote:

See I just updated my system (emerge -u system) and then I did etc-config and it gave me an option for 1 2 or 3 and it replaced my rc.conf and fstab with default ones and hosed me all up.

Yeah, you'll never do that again. :) I think almost every gentoo user has done that exactly once. Better to stay away from emerge -u world, it can cause problems and then you have no idea which package did it. Stick with emerge -Up world and then emerge by hand the ones you want to update. Just my viewpoint though.

And why buy books when there is so much linux on-line? Google for what you want to know and someone has a guide to it. For starters try these:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/howlinuxworks/
http://www.topology.org/soft/lkernel.html
flamebot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well carp! It jacked my rc.conf... ok I fixed it, and kde comes up, but Quake3 starts with a black screen and it takes about a minute for it to come up... and the hard drive light is not flashing... so now what? :cry:
flamebot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm when I start Quake3 my other windows computer flashes a IP address conflict with another system on the network thing on the system tray.

That must be why it's thinking. What configuration files do I need to look at for that? Maybe it is hard coding the IP and dhcp ain't working eh?

EDIT: Oh dhcpcd eth0 is a nice command! Does it write the fact that you want to do dhcp in a file someplace when you use that command? Or am I just using the last IP that was assigned each time I boot?
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't quote me on networking stuff but AFAIK - dhcp tries to assign the last IP address you had, if it can't renew the lease it gets you a new one. If you keep your computer on for long periods of time it can dump your current IP address and you have to restart dhcp to get a new one.

If you're not automatically online when you reboot try putting iface_eth0="dhcp" in /etc/conf.d/net. Or put dhcpcd eth0 into local.start. The first should work and be nicer though.
flamebot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah... i remeber now... the /etc/conf.d/net file is the ticket.

i was looking at some of those other files in conf.d and don't even know if I should be concerned with any of them or not?
flamebot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well updating the system did something good I guess, because before when I booted up, I had this block of lines that were real bright white that rolled up the screen during the boot process. I didn't remember seeing anything of an obvious error listed in the block, but it's gone and I boot faster now.

Some kind of crazy Voodoo going on! :twisted:
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless something's not working the way it should. They're small files though. Look around and familiarise yourself with things. Then when something breaks you can say "Oh, yeah. I saw that somewhere. Now where the hell was it?" and then go searching all through /etc again.
flamebot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are all the config files in /etc or /etc/* or can there be any other ones hiding someplace else?

There is a /etc/conf.d/usb file with a line that is commented out and it says I probably want to enable it. It's X11_USBMICE_HACK=true

I have a usbmouse and it *seems* to be working ok...

Thanks
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the global config files are in /etc. Some few weird programs keep them in their own directories. Your home directory has lots of hidden config files which are local for that user. I feel like I'm forgetting something else obvious but I don't know what.

Don't know anything about USB. Still stuck in the PS/2 age. Uncomment it and see what happens. If it breaks anything at least you know where to look first. :D
flamebot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uncommented it and it still works the same.

I apparetly broke either file permissions or changed my user login because I get popups as a user in KDE that says error initializing sound and alsa. But it works ok if I am logged in as root.

Thanks I am all lined out now. :D
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe. I don't use KDE. I'm an fvwm fanatic myself. But I've seen that error across distros so many times. Search anywhere for it and you'll find an answer. Maybe check permissions on /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp0 and/or /dev/sound/dsp. /dev/dsp should be a simlink to something. And make sure you're in the audio group of course.
xentric
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamebot wrote:
See I just updated my system (emerge -u system) and then I did etc-config and it gave me an option for 1 2 or 3 and it replaced my rc.conf and fstab with default ones and hosed me all up. It took me forever to figure it out. :oops:

Next time you could try my cfg-update script for updating your configuration files...
It checks if a configuration file has been modified by you or any program and opens
the two files in a graphical diff/merge tool when the file has been modified. It only allows
overwriting the current config file with the ._cfg0000_ file when the current file has not
been modified after it was installed.

Another GUI tool for updating still is under development, but looks promising!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: