View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: DHCP Reply with quote

Ok I have two networks in my house, one that is completely (if such a things exists) from the outside worlds and one that is connected to the internet using our block of 16 ips. Both networks have DHCP because while DHCP is nice so I don't have to recall what IPs other systems are using. I also use it so I just need to tell my systems to grab a new IP (and move to a different port on the switch) when I switch from network to network. My question is how can I tell the DHCP client to use one of its old IPs if it is available. This would be nice because I'm always SSHing or VNCing to the box and I hate having to type ipconfig every time. It would be nice if the system just tried to use the old one. I know I can set this up on the DHCP server by assigning that IP to that systems MAC address but I was just wondering if I could do it in the client because I really don't know how to do that stuff on the Cisco routers (DHCP server).

Greg

P.S. hope that all makes sense

Gate.Ilive4Code.net
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more the realm of the server than the client. Theoretically, the server should have a 'lease' for the computer (based on the MAC address of it's card), and will automatically assign that IP back as long as the lease hasn't expired. If this doesn't seem to be happening, you might check what the lease timeout is set to, and turn it up if it's short.

Cool.
some_bob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can setup your dhcp server to assign ip addresses based on mac address... for instance, if you are using dhcp on *nix, you can use:

host XXX {
hardware-ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
fixed-address aa.bb.cc.dd;
}

this way, you more or less have a static ip, as long as your dhcp server is available.
gate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Looking into it Reply with quote

I know about the reserving in the DHCP server but did nto really want to do that. I don't care if the IP change over time just not ever boot or ever time I run the scripts to reconfigure the device. Will look into the lease time and see if that fixes the "problem".

Greg

Gate.Ilive4Code.net
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: