Stage 1/3 question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Stage 1/3 question Reply with quote

Ok, I'm new here so I apologize in advance to any breaks of etiquette.

After reading through the online documentation, I have a nagging doubt about which install stage to use. Basically, if one of the main points about using gentoo is that I can customize everything through compiling, wouldn't using stage 3 make that pointless to a certain extent? I would NOT be compiling the really heavy stuff like OO or Mozilla, where my scarce knowledge tells me the performance difference would be noticeable the most. Yes, I know I can get specific binaries for, say, a Pentium 4, and yes, I know it's my problem wether I am patient enough to compile everything or not. But my question, put in short, is: Is it worth it? Or, when is it worth it? i.e., how deep must my knowledge be in order for it to make a difference?

dsd
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compiling takes a long time, especially on lower spec systems. if you are new to gentoo, then i'd suggest starting with a stage3/grp isntallation so that you can get used to it.

then, if you choose to in the future, you can recompile all packages on your system with your own optimizations, through a single command.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on how optimized you want your system as well as the power of your system. Stage 1 will be the fastest and most responsive, but if you don't have time to compile everything, perhaps a stage 2 or stage 3 would be best. It's really up to you. If you can wait, I'd say start from stage 1, other wise stage 2 or 3. You can always compile things again once your system is set up the way you like it. I've seen several people use stage 3 just to get a system up, then go back and compile everything, while still having a functional system to use. There are many options possible, it really depends on you. Which ever you choose, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like he said, even if you do a stage3 to get up and running, you can recompile the entire system with a single command, and have the whole machine customized. If you do have a PIV though you have plenty of machine to compile from stage1. It's a little daunting if you've never compiled a kernel, or any programs for that matter. Don't let it scare you away. Even those of us that have done it many times before screw it up once in awhile.
Eldomir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the fast responses! :o

Poor n00bie me, I wasn't aware I could get the system up and running and re-compile stuff -after- :roll:. I think that would be a better idea, mostly so that I can try different things on not-so-big packages and learn more before I work on the big stuff (it would all be a bunch of wild guesses at the start). Weee!

Pete_Keller
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldomir,

If you follow the instructions, everything should work out fine, once the system is installed, follow the desktop configuration guide to get the desktop working, from there, you just have to decide what software you want loaded and emerge it.

Pete
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: