Can' t ping my fresh gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PutinIsLove
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Can' t ping my fresh gentoo Reply with quote

Hello guys, just finished my gentoo on VMWARE on my laptop (wifi)

Now i' m trying to connect to this Vm on my desktop PC from SSH

I' ve installed openssh but it doesn' t work

So the problem is i can' t ping my VM from my desktop pc but i can ping my desktop from gentoo.

I really need some help, gentoo is driving me crazy :twisted:

Thanks guys !
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: vmware network config? Reply with quote

Your vmware (I'm assuming workstation) may be making some assumptions on how to connect your guest to the network that break things for two way exchange. If I remember right, the default is to provide network connection via nat and that would explain why you can't see things from outside into the vmware on the laptop and up into the guest.

The first thing I always do with vmware workstation is to make sure I have the network configured for my guests to be fully bridged. If you use more than one NIC, you may also need to go into the vmware net config to point the guest into the right NIC.

Not sure if the default is nat for a vmware ESXi setup, but I doubt you did that to your laptop :P
PutinIsLove
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm thanks for the reply, my VM is configured in NAT, will try to figure this out !!

Thanks a lot dude !
PutinIsLove
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i tried bridged but now i' ve no internet on my VM, i guess i have to conf my bridge but i' ve only one interface.

How can i do that ? I don' t want to rebuild a kernel, as i spend so much time in it and i' ve done a lot of work since ...

Thanks
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Don't recall off the top of my head Reply with quote

This is all stuff that has to be done inside of vmware workstation's net guis. Unfortunately the only place I deal with vmware is at work on airgapped networks so can't simply copy and paste screenshots for you. All of my home stuff is via libvirt and kvm since I use gentoo as the hypervisor. The vmware stuff I do is on top of Windows.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Can' t ping my fresh gentoo Reply with quote

PutinIsLove wrote:
So the problem is i can' t ping my VM from my desktop pc but i can ping my desktop from gentoo.

If you have a working connection and are unable to openssh the vm, it might just be because the vm is hidden behind the nat.

When you speak with internet, your card sent its mac address with your IP and the one you speak with answer with that mac in the packet, and the nat know who need to get the packet.
But if someone speak with you, it will not sent any mac destination, as it doesn't know with who it should speak with.
At this point the nat is trying to figure out to who it should sent it to:
- first it will seek if you have a rule for the port that get query, and sent the info to that computer if one is define, that's the forwarding port rule of nat
- if no rule exists, it will than seek out if one of your computer is set as dmz host, and any info that is not for a computer and have no forwarding port rule set will be sent to this host.

If you have no forwarding rule and no dmz set, your nat is just unable to route your ssh query to your host. It doesn't mean one of your computer setup is not fine.
So are you sure your router have the needed clues to sent your ssh query to your vm?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: