View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: KDE5 crash and window decorations gone Reply with quote

I recently upgraded to the KDE5 as of a few weeks ago and I am running into stability issues. One such issue comes up where all of my windows suddenly lose their decorations/title bars (kwin crash?) and I have no more focus control of the windows I have on my screen. This forces me to log out (panel still works) and log back in clearing my workspace of whatever windows I had previously.

Is there a way to restart kwin or whatever it is that just crashed so I don't have to log out/lose all my windows and just get back to productivity? I'm still able to spawn a terminal and type in it.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE5 crash and window decorations gone Reply with quote

John5788 wrote:
I recently upgraded to the KDE5 as of a few weeks ago and I am running into stability issues. One such issue comes up where all of my windows suddenly lose their decorations/title bars (kwin crash?) and I have no more focus control of the windows I have on my screen. This forces me to log out (panel still works) and log back in clearing my workspace of whatever windows I had previously.

Is there a way to restart kwin or whatever it is that just crashed so I don't have to log out/lose all my windows and just get back to productivity? I'm still able to spawn a terminal and type in it.

It could be either Plasma Shell crashing or Kwin... You can restart either on the fly, see:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356225
and...
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=361154
both have a simple command that can be bound to a global hotkey... Possibly a breeze decoration issue (like I saw in the latter but) - so a Kwin problem... Typically the panel(s) will die if it's a Plasma Shell issue...

Ah I'm subscribed to so many Plasma bugs now :wink:

Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was on a stable streak, but it happened again just now. This command:

Code:
$ DISPLAY=:0 kwin_x11 --replace

was able to restore functionality without logging out/in. Have to put that in a shell script now to execute whenever things go bad. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: