Problem installing with 2.6 experimental livecd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Problem installing with 2.6 experimental livecd Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a p4 2.4c asus p4p800 motherboard with a single sata hard drive. I want to install gentoo, and i heard that the 2.6 kernel is the only one that works with sata, so thats why im using the experimental livecd.
I boot up from the livecd, but when it comes time to load the kernel i just get a blank screen. I tried using the nofb kernel. I was able to see the kernel booting, but then an error message came up and there was a kernel panic.
How can I fix this? Is this a kernel bug perhaps? Is there any way that I can get gentoo running on my system?
torchZ06
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ross,

i'm having sort of the same problems-- i've got a abit ic7-g with a 80GB Seagate SATA hanging off the ICH5. i downloaded two gentoo CD's to try: a x86 basic 1.4 cd dated 9/11/03 and a exerimental liveCD 2.6kernel dated 11/5/03

both recognize my drive-- the 1.4 cd i belive mounts it as /dev/hda while the experimental 2.6 kernel cd mounts it as /dev/sda

both throw multiple error messages from segfaults to kernel panics to usb errors that i really don't know what to try next.

are you using the ICH sata controller or the auxillary one that asus puts on the board-- is it a promise i belive? i know my aux sata is a sillicon image.

i've read so many posts that i'm not sure what to do: some posts say the ICH works--others say that the ICH doesn't work-- some say that the silicon image works-- others that the silicon image doesn't work--

as far as i can tell SATA support under any linux or BSD leaves a lot to be desired-- at least as far as plug and play goes. you apparently gotta f*ck with it for awhile and even then there's no guarantee-- supposedly even when people do get it working the speed is way below where it should be-- all in all SATA + LINUX = PITA!! i wish i just popped for a MB with SCSI and then i could be enjoying this screaming machine sitting on my desk right now instead of swearing at it.

if i have any good luck i'll let you know-- but i'm not too optimistic-- i just located a copy of XP to put on it-- that would be a worst case scenario though!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: