OpenGL and EGL together on desktop?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhon987
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: OpenGL and EGL together on desktop? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
To my understandings, in essence, EGL is an API graphics library meant for embedded devices (i.e non desktop ones) whilst OpenGL is for the desktop.
If that is so, I'm wondering - some packages allow for both useflags to be enabled at once, such as: net-libs/webkit-gtk, media-video/mpv, etc...

If I'm running Gentoo on the desktop and enables both, which one will be used by these packages?
(Obviously, I'm looking to use only the optimal one)

Last edited by jhon987 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kicked off die USE flags egl, gles and gles2 from my system - now KDE KF5 menus are much more responsive and quicker than before.
jhon987
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
I kicked off die USE flags egl, gles and gles2 from my system - now KDE KF5 menus are much more responsive and quicker than before.

Yeah, not using egl, gles, gles2 was my starting point, but now I want to check out Wayland progress with KDE 5 and for some reason I must use egl for gst-plugins-bad.
From what I read, it seems that Wayland makes use of egl because it's modular, whereas OpenGL relies on X-server or something.
So, in the mind that Wayland will become my default sooner or later, I wonder how will using egl affect my system...?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn the flags on for Mesa, leave them off everywhere else when opengl is an option. That seems to be the safest way to set things up at the moment.
jhon987
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys thank you for the advice but I already know what to do with my use flags...
I'm just interested in knowing which one of the flags (egl or opengl) will be used upon enabling both? or will they both be used somehow?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on what each individual ebuild and source package does with them... but usually EGL disables full OpenGL.
jhon987
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
That depends on what each individual ebuild and source package does with them... but usually EGL disables full OpenGL.

OK, thanks.
That's the kind of information I was looking for, if you have more specific info, or you can refer me to some links that'd be great too
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enabling egl just gives you the option in systemsettings' compositor to switch between GLX and EGL. But gles2 should be avoided in Qt/Frameworks/Plasma packages as it disables full OpenGL and leads to bugs at least at the moment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: