View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snkmoorthy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg-server slot conflict will come if you have fglrx in VIDEO_CARDS. I faced this issue yesterday. One way to force fglrx is to remove xorg-server-1.18.*, xorg-drivers(latest, don't know the version exactly), xf86-input-evdev-2.10.*(update Manifest files afterwards) and keep xorg-server-1.17 (1.18 cannot be used with fglrx).

I have Hawaii based card and decided to use amgpu driver.
cv01302
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way for Tahiti based cards (e.g. R9 280X) to use the new amdgpu drivers? Perhaps with unmerging linux-firmware and emerging amdgpu-ucode with LEGACY use ?

Unfortunately I had to ditch the ati-drivers (fglrx) due to previous massive conflicts and I didn't want to mask the new versions of xorg-server and xf86-input-*.
Steam performance sucks with the open-source radeon drivers..
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
x11-base/xorg-drivers will only request x11-drivers/ati-drivers if told to do so by USE=video_cards_fglrx. Budoka: please confirm that you have set VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/portage/make.conf to a value that does not include fglrx. Then, run emerge --oneshot --verbose x11-base/xorg-drivers && emerge --ask --depclean --verbose x11-drivers/ati-drivers. If either of those fail, post the output.

Thank you, everyone, for your help and input. I delayed replying because I was really trying to sort it out on my own before coming back to the board but no such luck.

As best as I can tell I don't have fglrx set in Video_Cards in my make file. At some point I did have it but it has been commented out for some time now.

Quote:
# cat make.conf |grep -i fglrx
#added as per http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Fglrx
#VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"
#added as per http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fglrx
#VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx intel"

make.conf can be seen here: http://bpaste.net/show/24409f0b8300

Code:
emerge --oneshot --verbose x11-base/xorg-drivers && emerge --ask --depclean --verbose x11-drivers/ati-drivers
returns:
Quote:
# emerge --oneshot --verbose x11-base/xorg-drivers && emerge --ask --depclean --verbose x11-drivers/ati-drivers

* IMPORTANT: 2 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news read to view new items.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild U ] x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.70::gentoo [2.4.65::gentoo] USE="libkms -static-libs -valgrind" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu* intel radeon (-exynos) (-freedreno) -nouveau (-omap) (-tegra) (-vc4) -vmware" 677 KiB
[ebuild U ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.18-r1::gentoo [1.17::gentoo] INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse -acecad -aiptek -elographics -fpit -hyperpen -joystick (-libinput) -mutouch -penmount -synaptics -tslib -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu* intel -apm -ast -chips -cirrus -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx* (-freedreno) (-geode) -glint -i128 (-i740) -mach64 -mga -neomagic -nouveau -nv -nvidia (-omap) (-omapfb) -qxl -r128 -radeon -radeonsi -rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx (-tegra) -tga -trident -tseng -vesa -via -virtualbox -vmware (-voodoo)" 0 KiB
[ebuild N ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu-1.1.0::gentoo USE="glamor" 372 KiB
[blocks B ] <x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.99.917_p20160122 ("<x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.99.917_p20160122" is blocking x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.18-r1)
[blocks B ] <x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.10.0 ("<x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.10.0" is blocking x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.18-r1)

Total: 3 packages (2 upgrades, 1 new), Size of downloads: 1,048 KiB
Conflict: 2 blocks (2 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.9.2:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev required by (kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.6.5:5/5::gentoo, installed)
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev required by (x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.18-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.18-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>=x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.17 required by (x11-base/xorg-server-1.17.4:0/1.17.4::gentoo, installed)
x11-base/xorg-drivers

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages

snkmoorthy, I don't have 1.18* on my system but portage is trying to pull it in.

Quote:
# eix -I xorg-server
[U] x11-base/xorg-server
Available versions: 1.12.4-r5(0/1.12.4) 1.12.4-r7(0/1.12.4) 1.15.2-r2(0/1.15.2) 1.15.2-r4(0/1.15.2) 1.16.4(0/1.16.1) 1.16.4-r5(0/1.16.1) 1.17.4(0/1.17.4) ~1.18.0(0/1.18.0) ~1.18.1(0/1.18.1) ~1.18.2(0/1.18.2) ~1.18.3(0/1.18.3) 1.18.4(0/1.18.4) {dmx doc glamor ipv6 kdrive libressl minimal nptl selinux static-libs +suid systemd tslib +udev unwind wayland xephyr xnest xorg xvfb}
Installed versions: 1.17.4(11:52:07 AM 09/20/2016)(glamor ipv6 nptl suid udev xorg -dmx -doc -kdrive -libressl -minimal -selinux -static-libs -systemd -tslib -unwind -wayland -xephyr -xnest -xvfb)
Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
Description: X.Org X servers

When I mask ati-drivers and/or xorg-drivers ore even xorg-server 1.18* it has no effect and the same package block error is kicked back.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is something that I am not seeing that the Gentoo guru's will notice instantly but at this point I am really stuck. I can't emerge anything anymore because this package block kills it. if I --exclude the packages in question when emerging...it doesn't help.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your installed version of x11-base/xorg-drivers was installed with VIDEO_CARDS=fglrx. Your current configuration does not request that, so a rebuild would install without VIDEO_CARDS=fglrx. Until the installed version no longer requests it, --depclean will refuse to remove x11-drivers/ati-drivers. The quick way out is to cheat. Observe that x11-base/xorg-drivers installs no files of its own. It exists solely to depend on packages that your USE flags say you will need. Based on that, removing x11-base/xorg-drivers cannot, on its own, break any programs because it will not remove any files. Thus, you should emerge --ask --unmerge x11-base/xorg-drivers && emerge --ask --verbose --depclean x11-drivers/ati-drivers. This will forcibly remove x11-base/xorg-drivers, which cannot be removed by emerge --depclean because x11-base/xorg-server requires it. Once x11-base/xorg-drivers has been removed, you should be able to remove x11-drivers/ati-drivers using --depclean. If you cannot, please post the output that explains why not.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Your installed version of x11-base/xorg-drivers was installed with VIDEO_CARDS=fglrx. Your current configuration does not request that, so a rebuild would install without VIDEO_CARDS=fglrx. Until the installed version no longer requests it, --depclean will refuse to remove x11-drivers/ati-drivers. The quick way out is to cheat. Observe that x11-base/xorg-drivers installs no files of its own. It exists solely to depend on packages that your USE flags say you will need. Based on that, removing x11-base/xorg-drivers cannot, on its own, break any programs because it will not remove any files. Thus, you should emerge --ask --unmerge x11-base/xorg-drivers && emerge --ask --verbose --depclean x11-drivers/ati-drivers. This will forcibly remove x11-base/xorg-drivers, which cannot be removed by emerge --depclean because x11-base/xorg-server requires it. Once x11-base/xorg-drivers has been removed, you should be able to remove x11-drivers/ati-drivers using --depclean. If you cannot, please post the output that explains why not.

That did the trick and more importantly, I understood your explanation. Thank you!!!

The world update afterward pulled in xorg-drivers again without fglrx and since I am already under the hood will see what my best option is in terms of video drivers is now since it appears fglrx is dead and my Radeon Adaptor apparently isn't supported by AMDGPU. I also vaguely remember that it wasn't supported by radeon driver either.

Code:
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series] (rev ff)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: