Network failure, config is correct
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kickstart70
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Network failure, config is correct Reply with quote

Ok,quite seriously here. I've been using linux for nearly 10 years and am absolutely sure that the network setup is correct, yet fails to work.

Here's what I know:
- Using Athlon LiveCD
- Installed with Stage3+GRP
- Network worked fine (DHCP and Static) with previous linux installs (Redhat, Debian, Knoppix)
- Network worked fine during install booted to LiveCD
- Network doesn't work after reboot, using DHCP or Static
- Driver 8139cp failed to load initially, so I removed it from config and recompiled (genkernel --config)
- Still failed with 8139too after reboot
- Still failed after removing IPv6 support
- Disabled on-board RealTek8139 NIC, installed a Digital card that I had lying around. Identical failure to above. Tulip module loaded fine, but network is unreachable (DNS and Static)
- 'route' takes quite a while to respond (dunno if that means anything)
- manually setting up network card with 'ifconfig' results are same
- manually setting up gatewar route results are same
- 'dhcpcd eth0' returns nothing and does not receive DHCP info
- Booting to windows on same hardware (different HD) using DHCP and Static works fine
- checked all applicable command responses against other linux machines on the same network and have come to the conclusion that something low-level in the installation or code is broken

I will do anything you suggest, however repeating the above steps will result in same response. I've tried everything more than twice with identical results.

Thanks for any info you can give - developers, if you'd like to reach me directly please email to gregwebPLEASENOSPAM@dowco.com (remove PLEASENOSPAM).

Greg
peshwengi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same trouble with an 8139, changed motherboards and everything trying to fix it - because it worked fine in Windows. In the end, it "just started working" after about 3 months of hacking around in Mandrake.... However, since you've changed the card, I guess that it's not the same as the problem I had. Sorry I can't be of much help :o\ but I know how frustrating it is.
saba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few issues myself, too, with a pair of Intel NIC's. The route table took about two minutes to print, so most operations timed out.

In the end I just re-ran the configuration for the NIC's a few times, and it worked.
Arcanum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: It turns out it's a known bug. Reply with quote

Hey Kickstart, I figured I'd answer here instead of on UF. The Realtek problem does indeed appear to be a bug in the Gentoo kernel. It looks like someone solved their problem by using the vanilla-sources kernel instead of the Gentoo's customized gentoo-sources.

EDIT: You also might try reconfiguring your kernel so that all the drivers you need are compiled into the kernel instead of being loaded as drivers. I don't think it should make much difference, but that's what I always do, and have very few problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: