View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Mozilla Firebird & Thunderbird instantly close themselve Reply with quote

Has anybody else have the same prob? I have just emerged both firebird and thunderbirs. But as soon as the try to access the internet the apps close themselves. (Trying one alone, of course.) I am using 2.6-test9-love2 kernel (based on mm2) and glibc using nptl. Mozilla 1.5 works without major probs. (Mozilla is closed when trying to start firebird or thunderbird.) The firebird-bin from portage works though. Is this a gcc issue or nptl issue, or just a silly prob I can easily solve? Are there some logs which I can examine? IIRC the very first times I tried starting firebird from the shell I got a message like something trying to start esd, which isn't on my system anymore. (I have removed it days ago vie emerge -C and also added -esd to USE.) But now the message doesn't appear anymore, nevertheless I have above prob.

This is my emerg info:

Portage 2.0.49-r15 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.2, glibc-2.3.2-r8, 2.6.0-test9-love2)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.0-test9-love2 i686 AMD Athlon(tm)
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.11
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86 x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse -O2 -pipe -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -s"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /var/qmail/control /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/3.1/share/config /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse -O2 -pipe -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -s"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="sandbox ccache autoaddcvs"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://www.fhh.opensource-mirror.de/gentoo.org ftp://ftp.fhh.opensource-mirror.de/pub/gentoo.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage.local"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 apm avi crypt cups encode foomaticdb gif gpm jpeg libg++ mad mikmod mpeg ncurses nls pdflib png quicktime spell truetype xml2 xmms xv zlib directfb gdbm berkdb slang readline tetex svga X sdl tcpd pam libwww ssl perl python imlib oggvorbis qt kde motif opengl mozilla ldap -esd 3dnow acpi acpi4linux alsa arts cdr dga dv dvb dvd dvdr ext-png ext-zlib faad fbcon ffmpeg flac -gnome gtk gtk2 java javascript jikes matroska mmx moznocompose mpi nocd nptl nvidia pic qtmt S3TC scanner sse threads tiff transcode usb v4l videos wmf xfs xine xvid -oss"
adammc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this problem with thunderbird (don't use firebird) - I usually launch it twice at the same time, so if it fails to load I can just use the profile selector to get it going. According to bash, it exits with sig 11 (seg fault I believe) - must be a bug in the app
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting is not the big problem. If I configure to NOT connect to internet, both (not meaning simulatanously...) come up, but as soon as I want to eg. get mail or go to a website, then the window disappears...
adammc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah I see, so it dies when it trys to use the network? Thunderbird checks my mail as soon as it opens, so the bug is probably in the part of the code that handles sockets.
adammc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at mozilla's bugzilla, I found these:
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=221217
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=218843

seems pretty similar, I don't have the time to patch/rebuild to test this (it'd take me like 4 hours)...but maybe it'll help you.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, it could be a similar issue, but I am not completely convinced, as they couldn't open the browser/emailer at all. I'll try to play around and maybe I'll get it working... Thanx for the links.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did two recompiles, but it didn't help at all. Seems above bug reports are not related to my problem. I treid compiling without xft, but it didn't help. I think it is nptl related. Gotta fiel a bug...
ganiman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adammc wrote:
I also have this problem with thunderbird (don't use firebird) - I usually launch it twice at the same time, so if it fails to load I can just use the profile selector to get it going. According to bash, it exits with sig 11 (seg fault I believe) - must be a bug in the app

I get the exact same thing... Exit 11.

However, if I run it as root, it works every time. I use Firebird 0.7, and never experienced this; only with Thunderbird. Could it be the ebuild creates the wrong permissions on something Thunderbird might use?
adammc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe, but I don't think that's very likely as that should make it impossible to ever start thunderbird.

I've noticed something odd...yesterday I emerged firebird (I didn't have it before) and since then I've had no problems starting thunderbird
boojummy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this exact same problem before... runs as root, right? Check to make sure by running something like 'sudo MozillaFirebird &'

Check your permissions for /usr/bin/MozillaFirebird and /usr/lib/MozillaFirebird/ Both should be accesible to users other than root.

Also, if it gets stuck on the profile selector and won't go past that, check the permissions on ~/.phoenix

HTH
-b
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked it as root and have the samy symptoms as normal user: app starts up, but as soon as I want to connect to internet, it is gone...
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sometimes noticed this behavior if you have a symbolic link to the wrong java plugin .so file. You have to have the gcc-3* one.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you be more specific? A week ago I fiddeled with java around, as I wanted to update db, whcih finally worked. I am using sun jdk, is this a problem? Why should java be used in Thunderbird? I tired turning java and javascript off in firebird, but no difference.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with Thunderbird. It starts up fine the first time, but whenever the ~/.thunderbird directory exists, it refuses to start again. No error messages or anything.

Somewhat related.... Mozilla Firebird becomes unresponsive all the time. Refuses to accept input from both the keyboard and the mouse for 1-2 minutes. Had this problem with both 0.6 and 0.7 on two different Gentoo systems. Anyone else experienced this?
boojummy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try reading this thread, down at the bottom:
http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/67/lev3/70/pid/619/qid/642668

Ignore the stuff about making Firebird setuid, obviously :D

-b
theonlymcc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also getting the exit 11 with Thunderbird but only with version 0.3. It never happened with 0.2.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: