View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the forums, some people got it working, poorly (works slowly) on nVidia cards that have dxvk support.

Right now my ATI and Intel cards are 132'ing on startup. They fail the exact same way, suggesting something in common with my wine and not video hardware related.

--- EDIT ---

Okay it looks like these two things solved the issues:

1. Windows 7 emulation does not work anymore, it tries to use bad DLLs if you do so. I have to emulate Windows 10, and this gets past the first error. This unfortunately tells blizzard that there's one more person who dropped windows 7 and they need not support it as much anymore :(

2. There is a new multithreaded DX11 engine. Using it is extremely slow on my ATI. Going back to the old DX11 legacy engine restored frame rate.

Things are working again so far...

--- EDIT ---

well, not so fast. My Intel graphics gives a black login screen when starting up, but prompts for the usual login information. Servers are down now (3/18/2019) so I couldn't see what else it can or can't do.
Hulda10
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great of you there. Thanks.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no matter what i have tried, i get 15fps (in the menu!) at best with 8.2, unusuable!
Mappy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone inform me of what DirectX version WoW Classic uses? I read that the beta used DX11 but I don't know if that changed in the release.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, probably the same engine as mainline but I haven't tried it yet. I don't really have any nostalgia for back then so I'm not sure when/if I'll try it.

BTW, it seems that the DDoS countermeasures that Blizzard incorporated has killed connections to Linux clients.
It seems setting the default TTL in the kernel to 128 is the workaround as this matches Win10 behavior.

Boo...

[edit]
Apparently increasing the TTL to 96 also works, so that proves that their (probably ISP) "DDoS protection" strategy is kind of dumb...
Makersmarx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to log in by changing /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl to 128. I confirmed Classic and Retail and it worked. Also a link of other Linux users fixing\having this issue in WoW forums
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/linux-users-unable-to-log-in-wow51900328-329-error-after-logging-in/292402/225
Mappy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the "World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration" error in Classic with the latest releases of Wine Staging and DXVK. It seems to work fine with vanilla Wine (WineD3D I think?) but I would like the extra performance boost. Dota 2 runs well with native Vulkan. I think I have all of the necessary 32-bit versions of packages installed but I'm not 100% sure. I'm using the amdgpu driver.
Here's my vulkaninfo
Let me know if any more information is needed.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, they removed the DDoS countermeasure and the ttl change is no longer needed, or at least it seems.

I suspect the botnet they used to DDoS may have been full of Linux zombies and the countermeasure happened to block the attacking machines...

SECURE YOUR BOXES even if you don't play WoW!
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mappy wrote:
Can anyone inform me of what DirectX version WoW Classic uses? I read that the beta used DX11 but I don't know if that changed in the release.

It does use DX11.

Mappy wrote:
I'm getting the "World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration" error in Classic with the latest releases of Wine Staging and DXVK. It seems to work fine with vanilla Wine (WineD3D I think?) but I would like the extra performance boost. Dota 2 runs well with native Vulkan. I think I have all of the necessary 32-bit versions of packages installed but I'm not 100% sure. I'm using the amdgpu driver.
Here's my vulkaninfo
Let me know if any more information is needed.

I'm having the exact same issue, but for me not even WineD3D works anymore.

*edit* - Managed to get it working with WineD3D again with wine-staging from bobwya overlay. Anything else just crashes at start for me. Also tested with Proton 4.11-3, with fsync (kernel patches applied).

Also, I'm on Nvidia. GTX 1070, newest Vulkan beta drivers.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any problems with wow. I only read somewhere that battlenet has troubles starting it (but it still works for updating the game). I start the game directly with:
Code:
env VKD3D_DEBUG="none" WINEDEBUG=-all STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 STAGING_WRITECOPY=1 wine64 '/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/World of Warcraft/_classic_/Wow.exe' -d3d12

It runs very perfectly. I am using wine staging.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are playing classic... what does it look like, is it basically the rules of classic with the engine/artwork of mainline?

The theory is if it's "truly" classic, why can't we play them on older machines...32 bit machines with chipset graphics like we did in the past...
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's classic world (quest... with few modifications here and there), but with wow "normal" engine, it use DX11, but not all functionalities (it's less nice).
Strangely enough, i get 100fps in classic, and 10 in normal last time i have tried.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that it would use the older, simpler engine that could be run on older machines... but I would think they'd be lazy and force people to use the same 64-bit engine as mainline.

I'd expect 100 FPS+ on most modern machines if old machines were able to run it... I knew someone who was running classic on an chipset graphics 855PM P4 2GHz 32-bit, with 384MB RAM (granted this is in Windows XP or something of that age), do you think classic would even run on this machine anymore? Not a chance...
0azza0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: lf intuitive troubleshooting wisdom Reply with quote

I know I am on super old hardware (Geforce 555M/i72720QM) but i am -sure- I oughta be getting better than 30fps standing around alone in the newbie zone. Seems to be about the cap under "ideal" circumstances. - not in combat lol. It's getting like 10fps where there is any population or effects on setting of 1. Soo .. playability is about zero at this point. And I had to buy a subscription to try plain _classic_, shucks.

I know its super old hardware but I am sure that during legion i was on a different i7 laptop with an nvs4200M (which is supposed to be slower than the 555m, although from the same year, and I was at least able to do the entry level raids stable around 28fps on not fully min settings.

I think my stack is just a little wacky and I can't find where.

Anyone on similar hardware having better success? if so .. share your secret kernel option/ wine-staging use flag combo, or w/e please? ;)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10fps is playable by my standards - dealing with 12fps in Boralus (mainline) right now :) Sigh... I'm always dealing with awful hardware...
0azza0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um - the adventure continues .. um im kinda rambling, its been 'hours, but imma send it ..

I got my classic into the platinum playability category on 10yo hardware today.. i understand im not the only person who was expecting a slightly lower hw cost of entry for classic/had expectations dashed slightly and may now have a debian or windows partition where there was none before .. and i hope i can help someone out of that jam... clear headed tests/tutorial(if applicable) yet to come.

Theoretically, my fix was accomplished by ignoring the hip recent how-tos about wine and WoW and instead trying to follow the historical mechanics of wine/wow catch/release cycles. I had a mix of success. Things got real hot and cold. For now, I have to say 'theoretically, and not 'eureka.

The TLDR is that if you don't have a dx12 hardware capable card, you ..might.. be better off with wine3x rather than wine4x. Doesn't seem like anyone else is trying to point that out in tutorials but I don't want to get into why that might be right now ;) I'm really confident this was true for my mobile pci nvidia gpu and genuinely curious about others mileage.

(im actually was configuring the benchmarking in order to see, there were complications.) Please anyone, if your having a similiar problem and try this out, let me know how it works for you. I've apparently developed some interest.

so .. suspecting that the old codepaths which got me a reasonable framerate in the past were still active in the wine releases i was using - i rolled wine waay back.

[i'm] not sure what your hardware situation is like or what you have tried for optimization but .. .. I'm figuring for the hardware that I have, what I actually wanted was going to be something like ~ the latest wine-staging before wine/wow devs started getting allowed/forced into dx12...

I'm not even sure what half of the last decade that would actually be in.

sorta just looking for a random place to start .. lutris gets good reviews and since the install scripts in lutris show that a version of wine -pba is being selectively executed by lutris, and since also, many binary distro gamers also seem to think that wine-pba is a huge assist for WoW- okay ill start working backwards from the latest wine-staging-pba patchset I can find, which happens to be in a gentoo overlay, bobwya tyvm ..

for me, rolling back to USE="$oldwineuse pda vaapi" =app-emulation/wine-staging-3.18_p1-r12::bobwya has helped a ton! (and i actually forgot vaapi and pda, havent gotten to test those use flags yet, just the version helped alot.) like -- now im getting 22-25 fps in combat on settings of 3 at the bottom end of the scale - often over 50

or else it was this other 'hack' .. https://imgur.com/a/am7NzMO
bad form to apply both at once i know i sorta regret it ..

recompiled with pda and vaapi, CSMT disabled, VAAPI enabled (in winecfg,) got the best framerate. WINEDEBUG=-all wine64 _classic_/Wow.exe -- actually ran solid 90 indoors in combat the tunnel out of dun morgoh on settings of 6. Outdoors, kept a fingers crossed 40is in combat (at the low/stable end.) I was utterly stoked.

Bear in mind, there is now a pie-pan of ice-water chilling out on the plastic deck atop the heatsink assembly. That got added during the compile of the wine-staging-pba. Its dropped the cpu temp considerably but not weirdly so - lower than ive seen it in days, for sure. Now 80-94 depending on load. nice. im going to start cycling ice packs through the freezer and into this pie pan.

so im utterly stoked - i open my other laptop cause i want to set up a compiler cache /build server basically and a profiler and start drilling down which wine/pba/esync/use flags combo is going to get me the most out of this season of Wow on the hardware that ive got in my hands .... so i boot up the other laptop, grab a snack, 5 minute break somewhere and ..

Code:
Sep 15 21:33:37 localhost kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 79, GPU has fallen off the bus.
Sep 15 21:33:37 localhost kernel: NVRM: GPU at 0000:01:00.0 has fallen off the bus.

.. my nvidia screen is now black and unresponsive, as is the keyboard attached to it. the nvidia has dropped off the bus. just gone. ghosted. now unseeable. even in bios. out of nowhere. except that it was .. not even measurably working as hard as it had under buggy softwares' duress previously. poof. gone. seriously, id been glancing at nvidia-smi, it was like 516m/1500m vram allocated. hardly in gear. i tried a few bios reflash. no luck. heat from usage seems like the most plausible explanation but with the cpu temp being -lower- than -at all- previously i sort of have my doubts. like it might be an optimus glitch and i may find a board level reset that turns the card back on. might not. i didn't have the where-with-all to have an ssh server running so i could get on and take a crash dump. lesson learned.

sandybridge graffics aint that bad for levelling ;) but man it was nice to see the world at 100fps, if only for a few minutes. seriously i think i had closed wow before the card dropped off. it might still be down there..

anyway, betting wine3>wine4 if your card<dx12 - and now i have to check wine4vswine3 on intel sna. sheesh. and your integrated gpu will be 20c cooler without the pci in the sink .. nbd ..
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.3 dropped. Once again it shifted to DX11, and it gets like 2fps. Switching back to DX11 legacy, it's back up to speed...

I should try my on chip gpu to see how bad it is now, but I'm using an ancient RadeonHD 5770...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that piss me off:

Agent.exe during today's update (and any update) eats 100% CPU. What the he** is it doing that requires 100% CPU while it's downloading a patch...? Probably spectre/meltdown exploitation?

BTW it looks like GLES3 is now needed or something and my older chipset graphics no longer work... Sigh.
SIXyExa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the PTR or the Beta work for anybody? For me they both run for 1-2 seconds and then they just stop responding and I can't seem find anything relevant in the logs.

I suspected it has something to do with DX12 but using the launcher option -d3d11 didn't fix it.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. Shadowlands prepatch dropped today and can't get past the intro video...
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who is playing WoW with wine is able to give me some tips on its configuration optimization? I wrote a post on my setup here
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, Wine-staging-4.16 gets further than wine-staging-5.17 ...

Wine-staging-4.16 starts playing the intro movie and then crashes out. If I override watching the movie, I can get it to pull up the login screen, which promptly crashes as well.

Wine-staging-5.17 will simply bomb out whether or not I skip the intro movie!
Code:
019c:fixme:d3d:wined3d_swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
019c:fixme:dxgi:dxgi_output_GetDesc1 iface 0x435a690, desc 0x21f4c0 semi-stub!
019c:fixme:msctf:ThreadMgr_ActivateEx Unimplemented flags 0x4
019c:err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow 688 bytes in thread 019c addr 0x7f9260580243 stack 0x120d50 (0x120000-0x121000-0x220000)

Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Oddly enough, Wine-staging-4.16 gets further than wine-staging-5.17 ...

Wine-staging-4.16 starts playing the intro movie and then crashes out. If I override watching the movie, I can get it to pull up the login screen, which promptly crashes as well.

Wine-staging-5.17 will simply bomb out whether or not I skip the intro movie!
Code:
019c:fixme:d3d:wined3d_swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
019c:fixme:dxgi:dxgi_output_GetDesc1 iface 0x435a690, desc 0x21f4c0 semi-stub!
019c:fixme:msctf:ThreadMgr_ActivateEx Unimplemented flags 0x4
019c:err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow 688 bytes in thread 019c addr 0x7f9260580243 stack 0x120d50 (0x120000-0x121000-0x220000)

This might be quite the stab into a dark, but this might be a MinGW and PE files to the rescue type of a situation.

We're slowly starting work in getting the Wine ebuilds set up for that, but for the time being, you could try switching the '--without-mingw' to '--with-mingw', and build again (you'll of course need a working MinGW set-up to go with it). I don't know that the game will actually work, but this may at least fix the /later Wine version not getting as far as the earlier one/ issue.

I know the FireBurn overlay [1] already has something for this, but I haven't gotten to really looking into nor testing them ebuilds yet.

See also: https://bugs.gentoo.org/736657

1. https://github.com/FireBurn/Overlay/
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another patch came through launcher, now 4.16 is completely borked too.
Code:
005f:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
*** stack smashing detected ***: terminated
005f:err:seh:setup_exception nested exception on signal stack in thread 005f eip 00007f10b4f6b771 esp 00007fffffeab6c0 stack 0x132000-0x230000

Also, win7 native it's working either on my other machine, so there's more to the problem than just this...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh thanks, looks like the mingw PE binaries was the trick!

I guess 4.16-staging needs to be retired a long time ago but it was working up until the 9.x release...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: