working as a normal user?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: working as a normal user? Reply with quote

I have the habit of working as root. I know it isn't right so with the new install I made a normal user and added it to the following groups: wheel, audio, cdrom, video, usb, users and portage. So at least I should be able to do the normal things I do dailly.

It starts already to go wrong when starting the desktop. As I'm apt do break the setup I have it set to start in runlevel 3 at boot and then go manually to runlevel 5 by starting kdm.

If I log in as normal user I cannot start kdm. Ok, I run "su kdm" and give the root password. This fails because not allowed as user. So I log into runlevel 3 as root, then start kdm. This works.

I log into kdm as my normal user and start an xterm. First I try is to emerge kate. This fails because I have to be a superuser...

So why can a user that is part of the portage group not run "emerge"? I tought that was the whole idea of being to that group? If I have to be part of all those groups and then again have to use su to start emerge, jack, xine or any other applications I use every day then what is the use of a normal user?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

non-root users can't install or uninstall through emerge because then they would be able to make arbitrary root level changes to the system. The portage group allows regular users to search and check the result of commands with the -p flag.

Your KDM setup is problematic since it was never meant to be used this way. KDM must be run with root privilege since allows any user to log in. You should simply start it by default and use its console log in if you need a non-GUI shell or abandon a login manager altogether and use startx.

The solution to your woe is sudo. You can give your user the power to run your daily applications either with or without a password. I would recommend using a command whitelist without a password and limiting to harmless commands otherwise an attacker could exploit it both locally or remotely.

The problem here is mostly between the keyboard and the chair. The reason is security. Running as root is basically equivalent to running windows. You allow any attacker unlimited access to your machine. You have no protection. If you examine your machines you will probably find some nasties running on them. A user has only limited power and therefore can't actually use most attack vectors. Orders of magnitude safer.

Xine has me confused. It should run without any issue. Unless you are trying to read media from a location where you don't have permission. Most likely you have been running as root and messed up your home directory. You can use ls -l to view the permissions. Everything should either be owned by <user> <user> or <user> users. Jack probably has the same problem.

I would recommend you read up on unix permissions. You don't understand them and it would take a too much to fully explain them here.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modifying and managing your system is a task for root, not for user.
If you want to install new software, you must be root. Why are you surprised about it? That's the purpose of this account!
Start services? As root. It's not a part of user's daily chores either. Switch runlevels? Root! Linux has evolved from initial desktop system to general purpose one, including support for multiple users. Why should one user be able to alter behaviour of the machine in a way that affects other users? That's something _only_ admins should be able to do.

Yes, you DO need root access to start services. You do need root access to install or remove software, and you do need root to switch runlevels.
You can launch xorg as user with startx (or something similar) - without init scripts and without switching runlevels.

And group "portage" is being used for user-mode downloads and builds. You still need root access to install the software build by portage user.
Also, a hint on runlevel: Typical setup only needs 2 levels. Regular (Default/3) and panic or recovery mode (single/1) which is quite often handled by initramfs itself. If you're traveling with a laptop a lot, you may consider powersave (nonetwork/2), but there is hardly ever a point in populating 4 or 5. Yes, 5 used to be graphic mode, it's still available, but not needed anymore.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a new install following the handbook, just finished kde and kdm. So /root is "empty"

The reason for running kdm after booting into a console is that most kde updates bork the system so that you need a console to get it going again. Just self-defence.

I agree with your argument about safety, that's why I want to put order in it. But if I have to run each and every command/application as superuser (aka root) then what is the use of being a normal user? I really miss something there. To me this looks just the same as if I run as superuser from the start.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik,

You use your normal unprivileged user to err, use your system.
You become root to administer the system.

You can configure your normal user, to have the startx command start KDE.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused, does that mean all you do with Gentoo is administrating it? :lol:
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same thing you do on any other linux system is that the root user is to administer the system. The normal user is what you usage for normal every day usage. Like for me, I have 1 linux box that I only login as root once every 6-12 months to update the system (no it is not a Gentoo system, as I don't have time to administer that system too much), every other time I use a regular user to surf the web, file management, print and that stuff. My main linux system, I login as root once a week to update the system. Since the system is setup, I don't need root access anymore as all the necessary services is already started.

In the end, there's a reason why linux is designed around this key piece; security... In my case, I moved my mom (classical id10t user) onto a linux box, even though it caused me more issues right away. My reasoning was because on windows, she was downloading numerous viruses weekly ( or more frequently) and it got tiring on removing all of them on a constant basis. In the end, she only needed to be able to do 4 main things; use the web, print, file management (including to flash drive), and use her embroidery program (an old windows app, that should have been put out of it's misery a while ago, but keeps limping around due to costs). Beyond that, she doesn't ever do anything else on her computer, so she won't ever have access to the root account.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are running OpenRC, all you have to do is run "rc-update add kdm" once as root and it will start automatically every boot. You then can login in as your user and surf the web, check and write e-mail, compose and print letters, watch videos and more as a regular user. If kdm barfs, you can (even as a normal user) press CTL-ALT-F1 or CTL-ALT-F2 thru CTRL-ALT-F6 to get a console in the normal installation. (the kdm logon screen will be running on console CTL-ALT-F7) If your home directory has it's permissions screwed up, run (as root) "chown -R tony:tony /home/tony" as an example for user "tony". At least half the time I'm playing with my system, so I've screwed up permissions a few times.

If the GUI screen is screwed up, CTL-ALT-F1, login as root and run "/etc/init.d/kdm stop" and it will kill kdm.
Opinions differ on whether you should update your GUI and/or X11 from a GUI screen. I also do, but that doesn't mean it's safe. After all, I've never broken my arm, but I don't assume my arm is unbreakable.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I tried it a bit more. I wanted to mount the USB backup disks to get my datafiles on the pc. "Fdisk -l"... need to be root, "mount": need to be root. I need these almost daily when transfering SD cards from the camera to the pc and then back them up to the usb HD's. Same with usb memory sticks for updating systems, or using dd to make SD boot cards. All data is normally on mounted disks but none of these are auto-mounted. I do not want them to be either because of previous bad experiences where for one reason or another the enumeration changed and thus the auto-mounts as well, leading to confusoin and lost files.

So yes, I can edit a photo but I cannot get it from where it is right now and I cannot save it where I need it. (I know, can su or sudo for each and every thing but then what is gained?) Haven't tried jack and audio recording/editing yet. I'll try that when they are installed.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make your disks mountable by user in fstab. I'm not sure of the exact syntax.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik,

You need the option user or users in /etc/fstab

user only permits the user performing the mount, to use umount.
This prevents another user stealing optical media out of the drive.

users lets any user perform umount.

One tiny gotcha - users must use the lazy form of mount or fstab will not be consulted.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my experiments, the following applies if the partition is NTFS:

1. emerge sys-fs/ntfs with flags suid and -external-fuse

2. add user to disk group and make sure the group can access the mount point

Code:
sudo usermod -a -G disk tony # for username tony
sudo chown:root:disk /mnt/edrive #for mount point edrive, substitute your mount point
 sudo chmod g+w /mnt/edrive  #ditto
User tony can now mount and unmount /mnt/edrive without sudo.

My fstab line:
Code:
/dev/sda5               /mnt/edrive     ntfs-3g         users,noauto,uid=1000,gid=10    0 0

Haven't tried the following for the thumb drive yet:
Quote:
UUID="647A-695C" /media/kingston ntfs-3g users,noauto,uid=1000,gid=0 0 0
But it should work.

NeddySeagoon: I know you believe in "teaching to fish", but this syntax took a while to figure out and I didn't really learn anything except what is the right syntax.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:

My fstab line:
Code:
/dev/sda5               /mnt/edrive     ntfs-3g         users,noauto,uid=1000,gid=10    0 0

Haven't tried the following for the thumb drive yet:
Quote:
UUID="647A-695C" /media/kingston ntfs-3g users,noauto,uid=1000,gid=0 0 0
But it should work.

NeddySeagoon: I know you believe in "teaching to fish", but this syntax took a while to figure out and I didn't really learn anything except what is the right syntax.

I don't have ntfs drives (but i do have fat32, xfs, jfs and reiserfs). The trouble is that today the drive is /dev/sdi and tomorrow perhaps /dev/sdk, there are 5 usb hd's, a sd card slot, a CF card slot and a couple of possible usb stick positions. All used but not necessary all at the same time or in the same order. Depending on where I put them they get other letters. So the only thing to do is "fdisk -l" and then according to what it finds mount it where I need it, from the filesystem, partition scheme and size I recognise them. And today I may need /dev/sdi1 at /mnt/data, tomorrow it can be /dev/sdk1 at /mnt/data. Heck, even the internal HD's sdd and sde are not always mounted in the same order. I'm lucky that the first 3 at least stay the same or it wouldn't even boot every other time.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

You never need to add a normal user to the disk group.
That gives them block level access to all your disks.

Its trivial for such a user to run hexedit on say /etc/shadow, insert a new root password hash, do anything they want as root, then revert the root password hash.
There is no valid reason to have any users is the disk group, ever root.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into identifying your external media by label or UUID. These ids are independent of the sd* designations.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Tony0945,

You never need to add a normal user to the disk group.
That gives them block level access to all your disks.

Its trivial for such a user to run hexedit on say /etc/shadow, insert a new root password hash, do anything they want as root, then revert the root password hash.
There is no valid reason to have any users is the disk group, ever root.

Good to know. However, then do I have to make the mount point rw by everyone? At least the group limits to the members of the group whose membership is under root control.

Actually prior to this I had been using sudo. If a user has sudo privilege doesn't he have total privilege anyway?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Actually prior to this I had been using sudo. If a user has sudo privilege doesn't he have total privilege anyway?
Only if you configure it that way. Since I am the admin on my desktop (pause for shock) I trust myself with total sudo powers with password. However sudo was designed to be highly configurable. You can configure it to allow this kind of privilege only via local access and not via ssh. You can also only allow the access of certain commands.

For example, here are three lines pulled from my sudoers file
Code:
%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/halt, /sbin/reboot, /etc/init.d/vmware
%wheel ALL=(spotify) NOPASSWD: /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify
The first says wheel is trusted completely after an identity check. Members of wheel can run any command as any user with their password.

Next, any member of wheel is allowed to shutdown, reboot, or run vmware without a password. This is a desktop so these functions are routine and harmless.

The last line says all wheel members can run the spotify app as the user spotify without a password. Convenient since I don't fully trust spotify to behave itself so it gets its own user.

EDIT: If you want to see the cool stuff, check out the man page and the config file itself. Always access with visudo as root. This checks the file to make sure it is valid before saving it.

Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
You can configure it to allow this kind of privilege only via local access and not via ssh.
Horrors! Then I would be spending all day running up and down stairs. I do deny ssh from outside the LAN.

Excerpt from my sudoers (don't hit me!)
Code:
## Uncomment to allow members of group wheel to execute any command
%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

## Same thing without a password
# %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo   ALL=(ALL) ALL

## Uncomment to allow any user to run sudo if they know the password
## of the user they are running the command as (root by default).
Defaults targetpw  # Ask for the password of the target user
ALL ALL=(ALL) ALL  # WARNING: only use this together with 'Defaults targetpw'
tony ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
# allow mounting and unmounting of usb sticks
tony  X3 = (root) NOPASSWD: /bin/umount /media/*
jacob  X3 = (root) NOPASSWD: /bin/umount /media/*
cindy  X3 = (root) NOPASSWD: /bin/umount /media/*
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

With the fstab entry option user or users users can mount that filesystem.
However, they cannot use the full
Code:
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/someplace
as fstab will not be consulted.
mount /dev/sdc1 or mount /mnt/someplace both force fstab to be consulted, so mount reads the mount options there too.

This prevents random users doing random mounts. You can force noexec,nodev for example, on user mounts.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: