Asus z170 deluxe: "waiting for uevents to be processed"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sensi_tuX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Asus z170 deluxe: "waiting for uevents to be processed& Reply with quote

Hi guys,

some week ago i bought a new machine, installed win and left space on my two disks for building a multi boot system afterwards.
Yesterday finally i wanted to install gentoo but failed.
These are the specs of the board: Link
I was using a usb stick and tried the x86, amd64 and system rescue iso/live cds but everytime im booting with default options the system is stuck at "waiting for uevents to be processed".
I suppose the reason could be UEFI which is quite new to me as i never was using/having it before.

My questions:
- Are there any recommended bios settings for installing gentoo for a multi os system with a uefi board? A far as i can see i can at least disable/enable "secure boot" with the board im having (and i dont care if its activated or not...).
- Does anybody know how i could get out some more debug messages while booting to find out the reason why its stucks at this point? I read in other posts it could be connected with firmware which cant be loaded (or isnt available on any of these live cds)
- Are there any custom kernel/boot params which could help in this situation for making the system at least boot and finding out the reason afterwards for this problem (dmesg?)

Appreciating any help as im having not really a idea atm what i could try next...
Maxxx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed gentoo on a uefi system disabling "secure boot".
The fact is that if you want to be able gentoo to boot with Uefi you must install it from a system that is booted from Uefi, and then enter in Gentoo by chroot.
I installed my Gentoo from Ubuntu live usb (Ubuntu is recognized from Uefi, but, for example, Debian NO).
Furthermore you must to create boot partition as fat32 (vfat) and GPT partition table.
Alternatively you can boot Gentoo in BIOS legacy mode (if your BIOS is able to be that).
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction, you do not need to boot in EFi mode to install Gentoo. But you need to boot in EFI mode to get access to efivars. In other words, install Gentoo, make it ready for UEFI boot, boot in UEFI mode to enable Gentoo UEFI boot.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ sensi
I think you are saying that the livecd's will not boot. Is that correct? You might see if the ubiquitous ubuntu livecd is having the same problem. You should disable secure boot or install a shim http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html . Disabling secure boot is done by selecting Other OS in the UEFI(BIOS).
Recommend https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8 which works with Windows 10 also. I had no problem booting sysresccd in UEFI mode, selecting altkernel in the sysresccd menu, and installing to a Z170 chipset ASROCK motherboard that looks very similar to your ASUS.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: