Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help! All object (.o) files have dissapeared!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neoklis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Help! All object (.o) files have dissapeared!! Reply with quote

Hi all,

After a test install of another distro (Arch 0.5) on my second disc, I found that I could not run XFree, because some modules could not be found. I unmerged xfree and re-emerged but gcc failed to compile it, again because various object files could not be found (crt1.o and others, all missing from /usr/lib). After further checks, I found that just about all .o files are missing from various directories in my gentoo install!

During configuration of Arch Linux I mounted the /usr partition of my gentoo disc while running in Arch, in order to copy the .config file of the kernel, so I presume some sort of recursive delete command must have been issued somehow while configuring Arch Linux. I am sure I did not do such a thing myself and strangely Arch has not been affected so I am using it now to beg for help!

Please, is there a way to rescue my installation? If I could re-install gcc perhaps I could recompile packages and fix this strange problem.

My thanks in advance for any hints!

Neoklis My Ham Radio call: 5B4AZ
My website with ham radio software: http://5b4az.chronos.org.uk/
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it ran a make mrproper, but that should only delete kernel modules. Can't really tell you a straitforward answer, but hopefully there is no need to reinstall because that sucks :/
neoklis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaska wrote:
Maybe it ran a make mrproper, but that should only delete kernel modules. Can't really tell you a straitforward answer, but hopefully there is no need to reinstall because that sucks :/

It sure does! ;-)

Well, there was more to it! about 200 files were also missing from /usr/lib so this makes it stranger. I managed to fix it (I hope!, just got gcc to work) by copying missing files from a backup I remembered I had. It took a lot of time since gcc stoped at each missing file, although in the end I copied all the /usr/lib backup to save time.

I recon this is setting me back since the backup is a few months old so some emerge -u's must have been clobbered. But eventually I suppose any bugs/faults will turn up for fixing. Phew!

Thanks for the reply

neoklis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaska wrote:

It sure does! ;-)

Well, there was more to it! about 200 files were also missing from /usr/lib so this makes it stranger. I managed to fix it (I hope!, just got gcc to work) by copying missing files from a backup I remembered I had. It took a lot of time since gcc stoped at each missing file, although in the end I copied all the /usr/lib backup to save time.

I recon this is setting me back since the backup is a few months old so some emerge -u's must have been clobbered. But eventually I suppose any bugs/faults will turn up for fixing. Phew!

Thanks for the reply

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: