View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: virt-manager vs X drivers Reply with quote

I have an issue with virt-manager, which I'm now fairly sure comes down to an X driver problem.

When I try to run virt-manager on the box I have dedicated to virtualization, it works fine until I try to open a console from a VM. Then virt-manager crashes. Running with --debug reveals

Code:

The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
  (Details: serial 4296 error_code 1 request_code 153 (unknown) minor_code 1)

Researching that error, it looks like it generally comes down to a display driver problem. lspci reveals the following:

Code:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS780L [Radeon 3000]

I'm running

Code:

[IP-] [  ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-7.7.0:0

I dug a bit, and it looks like there are proprietary drivers from AMD which could do a better job. There's one reference to the fglrx driver fixing the issue I have. But that's now deprecated, and amdgpu-pro is not part of portage, and amdgpu doesn't look like it supports my hardware.

So I think this is a question for the X driver wizards in the house: What's the best driver for my hardware? And if there's anyone who's seen this problem and found another workaround for it, hints appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's not that many driver options. Best bet is to see if you can recompile virt-manager and all its X11 dependencies and see if the errors could go away.

Are you using spice or vnc for connecting to the guest OS? Could you try the other one?

Currently I've only tried virt-manger/spice with xf86-video-intel and fglrx... I'm kind of surprised ati does not work hence first trying to recompile the X11 programs to make sure they're all synchronized with each other, I'd need to try to see if I can replicate this on a machine using xf86-video-ati...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: