Trying to install gentoo with no cdrom no eth0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chompi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Trying to install gentoo with no cdrom no eth0 Reply with quote

Well it was not by choice!

First of my cdrom did not autoboot - so I tried using smartboot mgr, and it could not boot from the cdrom either.
Quote:
drive error 0x0c
Every time!!. Then I created the tomsrtbt bootup floppy to boot with linux. The darn thing does not register under tomsrtbt linux either. This following:
Code:
mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom

gives an error saying the special device does not exist. I ran ifconfig and it does not show an ethernet interface (shows only lo). I have an old linksys NIC and reading all other posts about these, I have given up on the chances of it working. I think if someone can help me getting the CDROM to be recognized and used I will be all set (or so I hope).

I have a Mitsumi FX320S CDROM and it does work (I have used it with windows as well as a Win98 bootable floppy before (the Win98 bootable floppy used a Adaptec driver!).

To summarize, here's what I have so far:

1) I can boot using the tomsrtbt floppy.
2) Setup partitions as described in guide. (I am installing on a system which already has Win2K). Followed all instructions collected from other posts here regarding co-existence with a Win OS.

I am ready to read the CD and untar the tarballs, etc. as soon as my cdrom works!!

Thanks in advance.

chompi.
fp2099
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use this http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/ Smart Boot Manager or better yet use the version they made for Morphix download at http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/morphix/morphixboot_02.img?download

This floppy should allow you to boot from cd-rom.

Quote:
This version brings with it a feature request by Calcpage. This request was auto booting. Now, the floppy will automatically boot the cdrom after ten seconds. On Linux, Copy this image to your floppy drive using the dd command. (example dd if="image name" of=/dev/"floppy device name") Special Thanks goes to btmgr.sourceforge.net for making such a nice piece of software.

URLS:
http://morphix.sourceforge.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=28
chompi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: smart boot manager Reply with quote

Tryied using Smart Boot Manager, i get a two different of "Disk Error"s when I try to boot from CD using SBM at different times. One of them is "Disk Error 0x0C" and the other is "Disk Error 0xAA". Someone suggested testing the CD on other CDROMs and I did so. It works on other CD ROMs - they all see the contents of the CD (I did this only on Windows machines mind you). Also, i boot the same computer using Win2k and that seems to recognize the CD and works properly. Any help would be highly appreciated.

chompi :roll:
fp2099
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Have your tried other live cd and see if it boots? This is very strange.
chompi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: never mind Reply with quote

I figured out what the problem was!! It was dumb of me. When I downloaded and burnt my LiveCD with the ISO image, I expected Windows XP to automatically detect that I am trying to burn a CD image and not just transfer files. Well WinXP is not that smart. It just copied the ISO image file like any other file. So the "LiveCD" I had was never a bootable CD to begin with. I went to my third PC and used Roxio Easy CD Creator and used the "Create CD from ISO Image" option and voila I had a real LiveCD to boot from. No problems booting from this one. I am running into other problems though (which I will post in a new thread), but it is safe to close this discussion.

Thanks for all your help.

chompi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: