View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: sddm segfaults with >nvidia-drivers-361.42 Reply with quote

After a routine --update, my DE (KDE) screen locker stopped working with an interesting message about needing to be manually unlocked with a systemd tool. Since updates sometimes cause a DE to become wonky, and since I don't use systemd, I switched to a text console, stopped xdm, reloaded the nvidia kernel driver, and restarted xdm. No good; sddm now segfaults:
Code:
Jan  3 15:08:30 msd-service01 kernel: sddm[3969]: segfault at 0 ip   (null) sp bfac765c error 14 in sddm[8048000+69000]
At that point I did a little bit of studying of emerge.log and discovered that nvidia-drivers had been upgraded from 361.28 to 375.26. Downgrading nvidia-drivers to the previously installed version fixed the issue.

A little more forensic compiling revealed that this issue exists for me on >nvidia-drivers-361.42. The video card on my at work workstation is a little old:
Code:
secmt-service01 ~ # lspci | grep VGA
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106GL [Quadro K4000] (rev a1)
but in the past I have generally gotten incompatibility warning messages when stable nvidia-drivers leaves a card behind.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

- John
Markus09
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just sddm or is X also affected? (So can you login as normal user, and do startx or startkde?)

I'm using x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-375.26 with x11-misc/sddm-0.13.0-r3 and
Code:
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] (rev a1)

which is a card that is even a year older, without problems. It's a consumer card, so I would assume that nvidia supports professional CAD cards like yours longer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: