the runaway eht0 and the newb panic ... :(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
somniator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: the runaway eht0 and the newb panic ... :( Reply with quote

hi all

i have a ¨little¨problem here is an overview of it:

i have one linux box at home and for erm.. test purposes i turned a computer in the college into a dual boot box , the thing is i dont have a network at home , so ..

after using ifconfig and route i managed to connect my college box

i compiled for both boxes a new kernel on '2.4.22-ac4'

and it worked (after reading the kernel howto and the gentoo doc and repeating the whole process like 8 times...)

well yesterday i made a
Code:
 make clean ; make mrproper
on the /usr/src/linux and repatched my ac4 kernel to add 3 pieces of the 'ck'kernel HZ , HZdt and Bootsplash

and after making sure that my lilo resolution is the same as the bootsplash and pretty much making everyconfiguration identiacl to my working kernel just configuring the 3 new options my new kernel DOES compile flwlessly and does patch flawlessly but thats about it i cannot boot with him

i did configure my lilo and runned it afterwards

my liloconf is like that (omitting the useless lines like my widows option and the install)
Code:

vga=792
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8
   label=linux
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
   read-only
   append="hdc=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/ pci=biosirq"
image=/boot/bzImage.2.4.22ac4
   label=linux
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22ac4.img
   read-only
   append="hdc=ide-scsi root=/dev/hdb2 pci=biosirq"
image=/boot/bzImage.2.4.22rp
   label=nulinux
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22rp.img
   read-only
   append="hdc=ide-scsi root=/dev/hdb2 pci=biosirq"

where the first is is my old redhatkernel ,the second my new working hand compiled and the third is just the non working one

the new kernel always panics on boot, he says that he cannot mount root
and asks me to initialize ¨init= ¨ on my lilo.

oh and.. i never ever marked any filesystem as module btw.

well thats not my BIGGER problem just a problem , that i would be glad to have light into

ok , then i went to the COLLEGE BOX and after playing a little bit to learn how to use samba i just decided to try out NFS , as my hand made kernel was very light i knew i had to recompile it to add NFS support and so i did
Code:

cd /usr/src/linux
make clean mrproper
make menuconfig

loaded my ex hand made alternative conf file and added NFS , i MAY have changed other small things but i have not played with anything marked as needed in the gentoo faq

everything went smoothly until i tried to make another initrd
Code:
mkinitrd my kerp.img 2.4.22
and it stated that all my loopback devices were occupied , finding that strange but realising that the initrd would not be that inportant on a system without scsi or bootsplash i just added the kernel to lilo anyways
Code:

image=/boot/bzImage.2.4.22ac4
   label=2.4.22
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22ac4.img
   read-only
   append="root=/dev/hda2"
image=/boot/mykerp
   label=nu2.4.22
   read-only
   append="root=/dev/hda2"

and as always ran lilo and restarted

that when everythig went down the sewer hole...

well the newer kernel does not boot he always states that my partition is not extfs2 (is an ext3 one but that should not be a problem) and that its corrupted and offer me a bash (with Ctrl+D) to try to repair it

finding that fishy i rebooted in the first hand made one and everything worked at the first glance

the computer booted and as i tried to connect to the internet to seek more kernel doc to try to understant where lied my mistake er...

there was no server...

and that is my BIGGER problem
the eth0 is GONE the college box has a via rhine ethernet card i did make it work in my first hand made kenrl(as a modules) but now as i compiled the second without changing the device support but using the same sources he seems to have obliterated it

i tried recompilig the newer kernel (kerp) with the same config file and then changing things to se if it works , i passed throug 9 recompilations of it to change my modules everytime and see if i could make at least EITHER one kernel that booted with card support OR the card work again in the first (working till now) hand made kernel in the last time i almost stripped
down the kernel to the bare minimun +card support but no luck

neither NEWER booted (always the same message) nor the first hand made had his eth0 again

i retried the same steps with a fresh downladed vanilla kernel+ ac4 to no luck at all
and no eht0 means no internet among other things

considering my level of desperation by this moment, if ANYONE can ignore the fact that this is a LONG maybe difficult to read message and maybe off topic , just to lend me some light of hope i would be thankful there are 3 problems listed my two nonworking recompilations and the nonworking eth0

by know the most wondrous is the eth0

tahnks in advance.
somniator

...........in morse code
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: