Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Replacing the kernel... how do I do that?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoshimaru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Replacing the kernel... how do I do that? Reply with quote

Hi,

From the many Highpoint raid controller threads I've read, the best solutions is to use the ac-sources. Currently, I have the gentoo-sources.

I emerged ac-sources and changed the /usr/src/linux link with ln.
Next I did a genkernel. However, it's still compiling kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6 instead of kernel-2.4.22-ac1 if I'm not mistalen.

I couldn't find a doc where ppl explain how to install another kernel.

How do I do it ? 'cause if I've to reinstall everything once more, I'm afraid I'll download RH9 :S
To
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think it's time for you to learn how to copile a new kernel;)

1. enter the dir /usr/src/linux
2. type
Code:
make menuconfig
or if you have X
make xconfig

3. browse all the options using the arrows and select/deselect using the space.
4. when you're donne exit and save the changes.
5. then:
Code:
make dep && make clean bzImage

6. If it copiles, then we move for the modules, if don't well, just try back from step 2, or ask here in the forum whats wrong.
7. make modules modules_install
8. Copy the boot image to /boot and name it bzImage-new for ex: cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-new
9. Edit your boot loader, on grub is /boot/grub/grub.conf , just copy your old option to load linux and give it other name, ex: gentoo-new. On bzImage, change it to the name you gave it befor, bzImage-new was what I used on my example. And save the file. If you use lilo it's on /etc/lilo.conf the procedure is similar.
10. reboot and on boot choose the option for the new kernel.

3th party modules need to be reemerged, things like nforce-net, nvidia-kernel, alsa drivers, xfree-drm. Just remerge them if you use them.

Good luck

------------------------------------------------
Linux Gandalf 3.2.35-grsec
Gentoo Base System version 2.2
------------------------------------------------
Braempje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genkernel has an option to use a different source, so I guess
Code:
genkernel ac-sources
will do the trick
Hoshimaru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks To :)
I'll try that ^^ It's also something I liked to know too, compiling a kernel.

About that make menuconfig, when I tried it, it said kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6, not kernel-2.4.22-ac1. Do I've to care about that notice ?

Braempje, I tried what you said, but it's an invalid parameter ...
chrome13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a question about compiling the kernel as well. To, your instruction seem to be following the instructions in the documentation. My question is why is it that neither you nor the documentation ever mention anything about saving the .config file or moving the System.map file to /boot. How about the make mrproper step? What about when you have multiple kernels in /boot, do you need a System.map for each of them?

I've scoured google for kernel compiling instruction and the best I've found was the tldp.org kernel-HOWTO. They go over a lot more steps so it is a little confusing as to what might be the proper way of approaching this.

Sorry Hoshimaru for adding my two cents to your post, but I'd figure since we're on the topic of kernel compiling...
Braempje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoshimaru wrote:
I'll try that ^^ It's also something I liked to know too, compiling a kernel.

About that make menuconfig, when I tried it, it said kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6, not kernel-2.4.22-ac1. Do I've to care about that notice ?

You should care!
If you emerge another kernel, check that the symlink linux in /usr/src is pointing to the right directory (ls -l will do the trick).
Braempje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrome13 wrote:
I actually have a question about compiling the kernel as well. To, your instruction seem to be following the instructions in the documentation. My question is why is it that neither you nor the documentation ever mention anything about saving the .config file or moving the System.map file to /boot. How about the make mrproper step? What about when you have multiple kernels in /boot, do you need a System.map for each of them?

I've scoured google for kernel compiling instruction and the best I've found was the tldp.org kernel-HOWTO. They go over a lot more steps so it is a little confusing as to what might be the proper way of approaching this.

Sorry Hoshimaru for adding my two cents to your post, but I'd figure since we're on the topic of kernel compiling...

Everyt time you change kernel settings, you should save settings. Menuconfig and xconfig do that for you, but you can also manually change settings in that file (if you're very brave).
I have multiple kernels of the same sources, and grub lets me boot them without copying System.map.
I don't make mrproper everytime, only when I start getting strange errors. Normally a make clean is sufficient.

Btw: you could consider mailing you remarks to the documentation people, so other users won't be confused any more :wink:
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in these FAQ.

There are also feedback threads, please post there if you have a related question. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: