How private is www-client/chromium?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CPUFan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: How private is www-client/chromium? Reply with quote

Hello,

it might be a dumb question, but since Chromium contains large parts of Google's Chrome, I wonder if the ebuild "www-client/chromium" could send any data to Google that other browsers (like e.g. qupzilla or firefox) don't. Especially, are there any use flags that I should set/unset in order to avoid Chromium sharing my user data with Google?

Thanks + regards,
CPUFan
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In pg_overlay there is a version with Ungoogled patches
CPUFan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
In pg_overlay there is a version with Ungoogled patches

They have the older version 56.x of Chromium, while Chromium has already version 58.x on Gentoo. Does it mean that if security patches are going into Chromium, it takes a long time until they are in the ungoogled overlay? If so, this would be a real security issue.
saturnalia0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always install and do some testing with tcpdump. I'm not sure about the aforementioned version, but it is known that the Chromium official binary sends data to Google even with all malware protection/url suggestion/etc settings disabled. Might be harmless stuff like your user agent, I didn't check. Firefox also talks to Mozilla with everything from the standard settings page disables (check with tcpdump), but at least you can tune about:config to disable everything that sends data (there are various websites on how to do it).
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPUFan wrote:
They have the older version 56.x of Chromium, while Chromium has already version 58.x on Gentoo. Does it mean that if security patches are going into Chromium, it takes a long time until they are in the ungoogled overlay? If so, this would be a real security issue.

PG_overlay has the newest chromium-stable release there, which has security fixes. Remember that ungoogled, inox and iridium are often compatible only with chromium from stable channel. PG_overlay does a good job of bumping stable chromium, when its behind in Gentoos main portage tree.

EDIT: To clarify, the 56 "channel" receives updates too, until 57 comes stable. Currently, 57 is "beta" channel and 58 is aimed for developers only (its most likely very broken)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: