Installing Gentoo on MSI B250M Pro-VH - not able to boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo on MSI B250M Pro-VH - not able to boot Reply with quote

I assembled a new computer that has a MSI B250 Pro-VH motherboard (with Click Bios version E7A74IMS.130).

I installed Gentoo following the Gentoo handbook (and to double-check I did it again but installed Funtoo, following their installation instructions). But when at the end of the procedure removes the Systemrescuecd USB, I cannot boot the computer. The computer goes into setup mode and in the BIOS I do not find the Grub2 boot entry that should be there. But if I use again the Systemrescuecd and ask to boot the Linux version on the hard disk (actual an SSD), my new Gentoo installation comes up without problems. But when checking with efibootmgr, the GRUB2 entry has disappeared. I re-installed Grub2, checked with efibootmgr that the GRUB entry was their but after rebooting, I has disappeared again.

Any hint on what setting in the BIOS makes that the entry disappears after rebooting?

Many thanks in advance,
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Workaround found Reply with quote

I found a workaround (http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/installation.html#alternative-naming). copying grubx64.efi from /boot/EFI/grub to /boot/EFI/BOOT and renaming it to bootx64.efi.

Still would like to know why it does not work the normal way.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is secureboot disabled or shimmed??
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you use gpt partition table?
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Anwsers to your questions Reply with quote

To DONAHUE: yes, secure boot is disabled

To Roman_Gruber: yes, I use gpt partition table.

As said, via the workaround it works - I moved refindx64.efi (I am now using Refind instead of Grub) to /boot/EFI/BOOT and renamed it to bootx64.efi. Now the system boots (the first entry in the boot menu is the hard disk).

It is very strange: if I use efibootmgr, the refind boot entry that is created during the installation of Refind is there (as was my Grub entry when I was using Grub), but in the boot menu in the BIOS, this entry is not present. It looks as if efibootmgr is not able to update the real boot menu that is used by the BIOS. Must be a strange behaviour of the Click Bios of my MSI motherboard.

Thanks anyhow for the suggestions,
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

refind on your cheapest usb stick for use as a boot drive is probably your most elegant solution. http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html
Is gentoo the only installed operating system? In 2012 I had a similar problem where the efibootmgr created entries vanished from the uefi flash ram. I was dual booting Windows and used bcdedit from windows to install rEFInd as a remedy. Some glitch in some of the UEFI/BIOS at the time. Rod mentioned the glitch somewhere. Conspiracy theory is possible.
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. But as I said, I already have a workaround and everything is working OK with this workaround.

Gentoo is indeed the only OS on the computer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: