Why is /dev/snd/* locked by kded5?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehrichweiss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Why is /dev/snd/* locked by kded5? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this so feel free to move it.

I've got a BeatsAudio(ALC3241) sound system that I'm using hdajackretask to attempt to get the pins connected correctly but recently for no reason that I can discover kded5 has started to put a lock on the files in /dev/snd/ which in turn keeps hdajackretask from being able to apply its settings.. I can kill the process that has the lock and everything works after I reload alsa but I can't find what's causing the lock in the first place.

I have read a post from 2006 that describes a situation similar to mine that said that it had something to do with desktop icon previews but I have turned off all the preview settings I can think of and still get the lock after a reboot. The lock also seems to reapply itself when the screensaver kicks on.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a week with no luck in figuring out what the underlying cause is. Anyone have any ideas what I could try next?

Here's the post I reference above..

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/39145?db=5
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure they're locked, or only already-opened?
If locked, it's likely to do with the "modern" approach of locking device-nodes so only the logged-in user can access them.

What is the process with the "lock", which you can kill prior to restarting alsa?

Though I'm not using kde5 yet, so not sure how helpful I can truly be, ehrich.
You will get more immediate support on IRC: chat.freenode.net channels #gentoo and #gentoo-desktop
ehrichweiss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Are you sure they're locked, or only already-opened?
If locked, it's likely to do with the "modern" approach of locking device-nodes so only the logged-in user can access them.

What is the process with the "lock", which you can kill prior to restarting alsa?

Though I'm not using kde5 yet, so not sure how helpful I can truly be, ehrich.
You will get more immediate support on IRC: chat.freenode.net channels #gentoo and #gentoo-desktop

According to tee, it's locked. The process that has it locked is kded5, and there's nothing that I have found so far that tells why it should be locked or even opened other than for some form of preview, that if is actually real then I can't find the setting for. This hadn't happened until recently as I'd been using kde5 no problem up until this point.

I'll try to get on IRC and see if anyone there can help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: