Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
"Create New" templates in Dolphin: Where are they?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: "Create New" templates in Dolphin: Where are they? Reply with quote

It used to be you could right click in a file manager folder and the context popup would give you an option to "Create New..." and there would be options for all kinds of things: text files, spreadsheets etc. This would work from a source directory, where templates for the various file types you could create would reside.

With Plasma 5, this option appears to have disappeared. At least, the ability to do that is restricted to text files and html files. None of the likely places that used to work in kde4 seem to do anything. So far I've dropped template files all over my file system in places that the google has suggested including:

~.kde4/share/templates
/usr/share/templates
/usr/share/kde4/templates

None of them has any effect on dolphin's behavior. I would file a bug, but want to check first if I'm missing something.

Cheers,

Jon.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not related to Plasma-5 in any way, but any path containing 'kde4' is also obviously wrong if we assume you are running an in-tree (kf5-based) dolphin version.

You have the choice of two directories, either global or local:

/usr/share/templates/
~/.local/share/templates/

What you do is create a .desktop file that describes your template and contains an URL to your actual template source. Calligra e.g. creates a .source directory within the templates dir for that purpose.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
This is not related to Plasma-5 in any way,

Help me understand this: I'm using Plasma-5 and this previously very easy thing is now pretty opaque. Not that I'm complaining, I just want to get an understandable procedure documented to do it, so that I can mark it "solved" and other people can find it. The google is not very helpful so far.

Quote:
but any path containing 'kde4' is also obviously wrong if we assume you are running an in-tree (kf5-based) dolphin version.

Exactly, that's why I was asking for help. If I were using something exotic I would say so.

Quote:

You have the choice of two directories, either global or local:

/usr/share/templates/
~/.local/share/templates/

What you do is create a .desktop file that describes your template and contains an URL to your actual template source. Calligra e.g. creates a .source directory within the templates dir for that purpose.

This is useful, except that for most users creating a .desktop file by hand is not that straightforward. I think I can figure it out, but some more explanation or an example would be very useful.

Thanks,

Jon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: