Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
AM4 Mobos used for Ryzen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What AM4 motherboard do you use. Actually use, not want.
Asus
40%
 40%  [ 48 ]
MSI
21%
 21%  [ 25 ]
Gigabyte
21%
 21%  [ 25 ]
Asrock
16%
 16%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 118

Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the ryzen 3 and x570 chip/mb being released does anyone have any experience with them yet?
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a 2700X for $254. I took NeddySeagoon's advice to wait for the 3000 series to come out. I was tempted to buy a 3700X for only a little more, but I remember the fiasco with the 1800's. It's only 10% faster than the 2700X anyway. Flashed my BIOS to the latest version (still using the Athon X4) and we will see if the upgrade is really that easy.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in either the 3600 or the 3700x not because of being faster, but the fact that they're 65w processors.

I'm running an fx8320 now and quite frankly it's fast enough, but I'd like to drop the heat even from what I have now, along with lower power usage (in general)
greggel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my gaming/music rig:

Ryzen 7 2700X (air cooled, not OC'ed)
Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
16GB RAM 3.2GHz
Radeon Vega 56
500GB Samsung EVO 970 NVMe
1TB Crucial budget NVMe
1TB WD Red SATA (old but fine)

It is about half a year old and i am very, very happy with it, because i could ditch a 10 years old Intel/Nvidia rig for it. For the Gentoo installation i have followed Ryzen, NVMe on our wiki. /home, /usr/portage, /var and /usr/src are located on the SATA device, /var/tmp/portage (4GB, 8GB if needed) is mounted as tmpfs. The root partition is formatted with f2fs using grub-9999 for dual boot. I bought it across 3 months due to the price the parts got.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen talk of an issue with regards to the new 3000-series and RDRAND, one effect of it being broken systemd.

Phoronix might have some kind of an article about it already, but I didn't go look yet.

In any case, I think I'll need to wait until September at least...
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
I've seen talk of an issue with regards to the new 3000-series and RDRAND, one effect of it being broken systemd.

Phoronix might have some kind of an article about it already, but I didn't go look yet.

In any case, I think I'll need to wait until September at least...

On newer Linux distributions, there's a hard regression either within the kernel but more likely some cross-kernel/user-space interaction issue leaving newer Linux distributions unbootable.
That's what convinced me to stick with 2700X, despite the fact that I don't even run recent OpenRC, much less systemd. My thought was, "Oh Oh, here we go again." If AMD had been proactive with the 1800 instead of making Linux users jump through hoops to return what they knew was a buggy chip due to manufacturing defects, then they wouldn't have thrown away a decade of goodwill with me. I almost went with Intel, then Meltdown was announced.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are regular issues not remotely of the same proportions as the initial Ryzen release. Fix of these things in software (not firmware) is going to be a matter of days or weeks, and surely does not involve broken hardware.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already got an Asus Prime x570-Pro sitting next to me, waiting for a reputable seller to have the 3700x in stock so I can put it together. I haven't trusted newegg in a couple years and Amazon had the 3700x in stock yesterday at the MSRP, but they were being sold by a seller named something like "AMD Authorized Reseller" whose feedback page included feedback about housewares, so it just seemed a little too shady to trust.

While we're talking about Amazon, they sent my RAM packaged in one of the paper covered bubble mailers, so I'm hoping it isn't damaged underneath the heat spreaders.

Sure, the x570 chipsets currently have fans attached, which is annoying but not a complete deal breaker. I'm upgrading from a FX-8350, which has been adequate for me for a while, but I'm also looking forward to cutting the CPU TDP down from 125 to 65 watts along with the considerable performance increase.

So, once I get the new processor, I'll be looking at:
Ryzen 3700x
Asus Prime x570-Pro
32GB DDR4-3200

getting swapped in place of my
FX-8350
Asus M5A99FX
16GB DDR3-1866
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks saellaven, I'll be looking forward to how it works.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
I haven't trusted newegg in a couple years ...

Wondering why here. I've never had a problem. I thought I had a hard drive problem and they were very prompt with their RMA. Turned out that I hadn't pressed the tool-less rails in hard enough and the drive cage had enough slack that the drive would shake a bit in use causing the heads to click. Remounted it and it is fine.

Newegg is my primary source. I used to go to Tiger Direct because they had an outlet store fifteen minutes away that was handy to get fans, small parts and to replace a dead power supply, buy a hard drive on sale and especially monitors and televisions. I never buy anything with a screen on-line because you have to pay return shipping for dead pixels. Walmart usually has a sale at the traditional times. When my sister moved out off state near Thanksgiving a few years ago, we bought her a nice refrigerator and television at astonishingly low prices at Home Depot (or was it Lowes?) on Black Friday with delivery of the appliances thrown in free. Now I go to Fry's for the same things. They are not so convenient, 45 minutes away by interstate. I was going to buy an 1800 there six months after release, but they still only had serial numbers in the bad range. I have bought several mobo's there and quite a few hard drives. They are also very good for fans, small parts kits and empty cases. I always want the best power supplies so I buy those online at Newgg. Seasonic and Antec rebranded Seasonics.

I've never bought a computer component from Amazon and I never buy from Amazon/Newegg resellers. I want something cheap from a complete stranger I go to e-bay. I still have (running?) a complete k6-3 mobo with chip, memory and running at 600Mhz (overclocked) that I bought for around $20-$30 from an individual on e-bay who was upgrading his rig. A discarded P-5 tower, a CRT monitor put out for the trash across the street, an old hard drive that I had replaced with a bigger one before being downsized, some elbow grease and he had his own computer running Gnome2 on Gentoo and I had a nice memory. He was a preteen at the time.

I never buy refurbished although another grandson (in his late twenties now) always buys used or refurbished.

I'm putting my wish list together now for the Ryzen 3000 system although I probably won't buy it until next year as money is pretty tight right now. I may buy some components on Black Friday. Looking at a B450 motherboard from MSI. I don't game., my eyes are bad and my reactions are slow. I want high performance for compiling. And a BIG screen for those bad eyes.

EDIT:
I miss the onboard video that used to be popular, now I look for a cheap lowpower video card, preferably Radeon or an Nvidia well-supported by nouveau. Radeon seems more Linux-friendly. But I won't compromise on hard drives. Only western digital. I've never had a bad one in like fifteen years. I still have one in that k6 system, manufactured 4 April, 2004.

EDIT2:
Forgot RAM. I've had a few brands but now I buy direct from Crucial on-line.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of last week an Asus Prime X470-Pro with 2700x.

Couldn't wait and honestly didn't want to be on a new release processor for a long term system. Future upgradeable if I want to go to a znver2 and I see that would give me pcie-4 on this asus board as well so no regrets.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
saellaven wrote:
I haven't trusted newegg in a couple years ...

Wondering why here. I've never had a problem. I thought I had a hard drive problem and they were very prompt with their RMA. Turned out that I hadn't pressed the tool-less rails in hard enough and the drive cage had enough slack that the drive would shake a bit in use causing the heads to click. Remounted it and it is fine.

Newegg is my primary source. I used to go to Tiger Direct because they had an outlet store fifteen minutes away that was handy to get fans, small parts and to replace a dead power supply, buy a hard drive on sale and especially monitors and televisions. I never buy anything with a screen on-line because you have to pay return shipping for dead pixels. Walmart usually has a sale at the traditional times. When my sister moved out off state near Thanksgiving a few years ago, we bought her a nice refrigerator and television at astonishingly low prices at Home Depot (or was it Lowes?) on Black Friday with delivery of the appliances thrown in free. Now I go to Fry's for the same things. They are not so convenient, 45 minutes away by interstate. I was going to buy an 1800 there six months after release, but they still only had serial numbers in the bad range. I have bought several mobo's there and quite a few hard drives. They are also very good for fans, small parts kits and empty cases. I always want the best power supplies so I buy those online at Newgg. Seasonic and Antec rebranded Seasonics.

I used to use newegg almost exclusively for my component purchases from 2002-2014... at some point in there, I stopped ordering things that could just be tossed into the spare room in a box like power splitters and cables because shipping went from "toss it into your box with other stuff" to "$1.99 item with $1.50 shipping for each item" so 4 cheap cables would cost me an extra $6 in shipping in a box that had all of the bigger components of a new computer (PS, mobo, cpu, etc) even though they didn't appreciable increase shipping costs.

These days, all of the brick and mortar component stores are gone in my market, so I just buy all of that stuff off Amazon. Sure, I might be able to pick up a new GPU at Best Buy, but say goodbye to selection, reasonable prices, etc. There are no Frys, Tiger Directs, etc for me to go to.

I have a couple friends that bought new components directly from newegg and received merchandise that was clearly RMA'd - namely, a defective CPU with bent pins and a GTX 1080 that ended up being a 550 in the box. Newegg claimed they were lying and refused to accept a return/exchange.

Quote:

I've never bought a computer component from Amazon and I never buy from Amazon/Newegg resellers. I want something cheap from a complete stranger I go to e-bay. I still have (running?) a complete k6-3 mobo with chip, memory and running at 600Mhz (overclocked) that I bought for around $20-$30 from an individual on e-bay who was upgrading his rig. A discarded P-5 tower, a CRT monitor put out for the trash across the street, an old hard drive that I had replaced with a bigger one before being downsized, some elbow grease and he had his own computer running Gnome2 on Gentoo and I had a nice memory. He was a preteen at the time.

I never buy from resellers and, while I occasionally have had something improperly packaged, I've never had a problem with any computer components I've bought off Amazon where Amazon didn't stand behind the sale.

Quote:

I'm putting my wish list together now for the Ryzen 3000 system although I probably won't buy it until next year as money is pretty tight right now. I may buy some components on Black Friday. Looking at a B450 motherboard from MSI. I don't game., my eyes are bad and my reactions are slow. I want high performance for compiling. And a BIG screen for those bad eyes.

Running Gentoo, compiling is always a factor, and I occasionally game, but extensibility was a big factor for me too.

Quote:

I miss the onboard video that used to be popular, now I look for a cheap lowpower video card, preferably Radeon or an Nvidia well-supported by nouveau. Radeon seems more Linux-friendly. But I won't compromise on hard drives. Only western digital. I've never had a bad one in like fifteen years. I still have one in that k6 system, manufactured 4 April, 2004.

I never cared for onboard video and I've always bought nVidia over ATI and the nvidia drivers over nouveau. Despite the positions we share on certain Linux issues, I'm not quite an idealist when it comes to proprietary drivers - sure, in a perfect world and all of that, but I trend more practical realist than ideological idealist in practice.

Over the last decade or so, my traditional hard drives are exclusively Western Digital Black drives and I exclusively use Samsung SSDs. Despite routine backups, I've never had a data loss from a failing drive before I could replace it, so I've never had to use my backups.

Quote:

Forgot RAM. I've had a few brands but now I buy direct from Crucial on-line.

Crucial is my go-to as well... I only ended up buying it from Amazon this time because I was expecting to be able to put my full system together faster than the RAM could get here from Crucial... instead, I'm still waiting for a reliable source for the processor.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Black here also. I won't touch Blue. Besides the speed issue, the Blue has a significantly shorter warranty. I keep wondering "why?", is a Blue a Black that failed final test?
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard lots of horror stories about newegg's sending out rma'd stuff as "new".
I've bought a few things in the past from them, external disk drive cases, etc, but I wouldn't buy cpu, memory, video cards because of their reputation.

Fortunately I have a couple of fry's near, and I've had good luck with amazon and even ebay (though I'm careful about what I buy from them and which vendor).

Anyway, I keep looking and I see the 3600 out and being sold but I'm not seeing anyone selling the 3700x yet.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon has first party 3700x in stock now... I just placed my order and should have it by Thursday...
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I've heard lots of horror stories about Newegg's sending out rma'd stuff as "new"

Heard that about Amazon too. What i dislike about Amazon is that there is no way to reach anyone to complain. At Newegg there is on-line chat as well as an e-mail address. Amazon only has automated choices with fixed questions. That's okay for a $20 book but not for several hundred dollars in computer parts. Of course, at Fry's I can physically confront someone and the return department is right there as you enter the store. Provided you have astore, nearby. That's how I found out about the 1800 serial numbers. They wouldn't let me open the boxes but you can see the numbers through the window on the box. They showed me all five that they had in stock, all made before the production process was fixed.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:
I've heard lots of horror stories about Newegg's sending out rma'd stuff as "new"

Heard that about Amazon too. What i dislike about Amazon is that there is no way to reach anyone to complain. At Newegg there is on-line chat as well as an e-mail address. Amazon only has automated choices with fixed questions. That's okay for a $20 book but not for several hundred dollars in computer parts. Of course, at Fry's I can physically confront someone and the return department is right there as you enter the store. Provided you have astore, nearby. That's how I found out about the 1800 serial numbers. They wouldn't let me open the boxes but you can see the numbers through the window on the box. They showed me all five that they had in stock, all made before the production process was fixed.

I've always gotten through to people on Amazon... I simply go to Help -> Need More Help? -> Contact Us and there's the option to chat, have a phone call, or send an email.

99% of the time, my interactions with Amazon revolve around how terrible Amazon Logistics is as a last mile delivery service.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
Good news, Asus is enabling PCIe 4 (on the lanes connected to Zen 2 CPUs) on X470/B450 boards:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-b450-x470-motherboards-pcie-4.0-support,39859.html

You wont get the extra bandwidth to the X470 chip, but then you're not paying stupid prices for X570 boards, or listening to a tiny annoying fan that'll inevitably die.

asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This depends on AMD not closing that loophole in next AGESA update, so PCIe 4 on old chipsets can't be taken for granted.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
This depends on AMD not closing that loophole in next AGESA update, so PCIe 4 on old chipsets can't be taken for granted.

Yup, fair warning. Thankfully it'll be some time before PCIe 3 becomes a bottleneck, so v4 can remain under the 'nice to have' column while they work on bringing chipset thermals/price down, or at least come up with less garbage board cooling hardware.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCIe3 is already a bottleneck for some things, like nvme drives (although for most people I'm not sure the difference would matter)

And I would imagine that video cards are coming out or will soon be coming out, to take advantage of pcie4 speeds.

The good news 4 is faster ... the bad news pcie5 is already finalized (as a spec) and 4 may be being leapfrogged.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
I've always gotten through to people on Amazon... I simply go to Help -> Need More Help? -> Contact Us and there's the option to chat, have a phone call, or send an email.
I'll try to remember that!
saellaven wrote:

99% of the time, my interactions with Amazon revolve around how terrible Amazon Logistics is as a last mile delivery service.

Roger that! Thinking they can compete with UPS and USPS is hubris.

Newegg package arrived. We went grocery shopping and when I got back, the mail lady had kindly placed it on the front porch. No throw and run there.

Got an e-mail from Amazon about a new "service". They e-mail or text you when the Amazon truck is near or in a near town and you drive there and get your package off the truck. So, this is different from brick and mortar, how?
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:

saellaven wrote:

Roger that! Thinking they can compete with UPS and USPS is hubris.

Newegg package arrived. We went grocery shopping and when I got back, the mail lady had kindly placed it on the front porch. No throw and run there.

Got an e-mail from Amazon about a new "service". They e-mail or text you when the Amazon truck is near or in a near town and you drive there and get your package off the truck. So, this is different from brick and mortar, how?

I actually have AMZL "deprioritized" on my personal and business accounts now after dozens of attempts at this scenario:

Package scheduled for delivery in 2 days
Next day: Tracking number comes up as TBA#$%@#$% and I curse
Delivery day morning: Your package will be delivered before 8pm despite my address being a business address and I've set up my hours in my shipping info per AMZL's instructions
Delivery day 1pm: Your package is 9 stops away! and, by 9 stops, it means I'm going to watch them to deliver to the dorms at College A first, taking up 2 hours, followed by them delivering to all of the residential neighborhoods while nobody is home, followed by the dorms at College B, taking another 2 hours
Delivery day 6pm: 50% chance that the driver just marks "business closed" without even stopping even though I'm open and sitting there waiting for my package
Delivery day 9:30pm: finally deliver my package assuming the driver didn't mark me as closed earlier in the day. Delivery may or may not entail them walking into my business to deliver the package instead of just leaving it in a random place. Also, 50% chance that the driver will give me the finger or call me a bitch if I suggest they deliver to businesses during business hours.

Best part? I'm literally a 10 minute walk from the distribution center and every delivery route to the city necessitates them driving by my office. I'm paying for delivery but I wish I had the option of just picking it up directly from the warehouse on my way by.

AMZL's delivery strategy is to deliver to residences when everyone is at work so the packages can be stolen before they get home, then deliver to businesses after the businesses have closed for the day so they don't actually have to deliver anything. They totally have a leg up on those legacy carriers that deliver to businesses first thing in the morning and then residences in the afternoon/evening.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was smiling at your exposition, but I know it's not a laughing matter.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the 3700x is installed and Gentoo is running... I ran into the issue where the Ryzen CPUs are missing instructions that were available in the FX-8350, but even after rebuilding everything with march=k8 mtune=generic, I couldn't get anything to run once the kernel passed things off (trapping invalid opcodes). So, I did a fresh install from a stage 3.

Ryzen 3700x
Asus Prime X570-Pro
32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz DDR4

Code:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 23
model           : 113
model name      : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
stepping        : 0
microcode       : 0x8701011
cpu MHz         : 3800.144
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 16
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 8
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 16
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt tce topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc mwaitx cpb cat_l3 cdp_l3 hw_pstate sme ssbd mba sev ibpb stibp vmmcall fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 cqm rdt_a rdseed adx smap clflushopt clwb sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total cqm_mbm_local clzero irperf xsaveerptr wbnoinvd arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold avic v_vmsave_vmload vgif umip rdpid overflow_recov succor smca
bugs            : sysret_ss_attrs spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass
bogomips        : 7200.33
TLB size        : 3072 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 43 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm hwpstate cpb eff_freq_ro [13] [14]

Code:

# free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:       32873928     4269020    12177644       42852    16427264    28410152
Swap:      33554428           0    33554428

and for some compile time porn... note, the first webkit-gtk had 3 other massive C++ packages going on at the same time

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--verbose --jobs=16 --load-average=16.0 --with-bdeps=y --autounmask-keep-masks"
MAKEOPTS="-j16 -l16"

at no point did I come close to using up all 32 GB with 16 threads compiling

Code:

# genlop -t libreoffice webkit-gtk qtwebkit
 * app-office/libreoffice

Fri Jul 19 04:02:45 2019 >>> app-office/libreoffice-6.2.5.2
       merge time: 33 minutes and 27 seconds.

* net-libs/webkit-gtk

Thu Jul 18 23:18:52 2019 >>> net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.24.2
       merge time: 49 minutes and 16 seconds.

Fri Jul 19 07:25:21 2019 >>> net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.24.2
       merge time: 12 minutes and 57 seconds.