Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why... just... why is systemd a bad word for the majority?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roboto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Why... just... why is systemd a bad word for the majority? Reply with quote

Why use OpenRC as the default init system when systemd is faster and more efficient?

"But systemd takes more resources!" Configure it to not use more resources. That's what Gentoo is about, right?

Why put in a ton of time getting systemd to work on your computer instead of OpenRC. Before you pound your keys telling me that systemd was easy to set up, this is according to my experience, not yours.

An example of OpenRC and systemd:

https://youtu.be/4NXMmHYNYfA

Gentoo is about efficiency and speed after compiling, but using a slower and crappier init system by default just turns me off.

Systemd is faster and more secure than OpenRC. OpenRC is a bad word to me, and I don't know why I'm saying it over and over in this post.

When there's a start job stalling your boot time in systemd, you just hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter to skip it. With *bleep*, you're just stuck.

To hell with *bleep*.

And to hell with that NetBSD developer who created the Gentoo/FreeBSD project--he started the idea of *bleep*.

The true hater of man expects nothing from him and is indiscriminate to his works.
-Ayn Rand
Quote:
Dude. Minus 30 credibility points.

Yep
mirekm
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody will stop you from using of systemd. It is just your choice.
Most of gentoo people decided to use openrc, and it is their choice.
Most of gentoo people don't trust poetterware, and there are reasons for that. But is you want to make flame about systemd, there is another thread.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this thread will end badly.

Quote:
Why use OpenRC as the default init system when systemd is faster and more efficient?
It isn't and it isn't. The boot up times are about the same. Efficiency is a vague concept that requires some metric to be meaningful. More efficient at what?

Why prefer openRC? Because it is what most of the users want. There are no shortage of enterprise admins who have chosen not to upgrade, or indeed to buy older releases, to avoid systemd for stability and usability reasons. Currently Gentoo is welcoming many users who switched to avoid it.

Pottering has a huge ego that many of us want nothing to do with. He has a habit of breaking promises and writing substandard code. In fact some key developers on the systemd project have been bared from contributing code to the kernel because of their attitude and poor code.
Quote:
"But systemd takes more resources!" Configure it to not use more resources. That's what Gentoo is about, right?
But you don't need to configure openRC to be lightweight, so it is the logical choice if that is what you care about. Also systemd can't compete with openrc in this department since Poettering has explicitly stated several times he doesn't care about the resources used. It will always be bloated.
Quote:
An example of OpenRC and systemd:
https://youtu.be/4NXMmHYNYfA
That isn't a fair test. Set rc_parallel="YES" for openRC if you care about speed. On my machine I get a login prompt before my screen can adjust from the bios screen resolution to the console resolution. Any more speed is totally unusable.
Quote:
Gentoo is about efficiency and speed after compiling,

No it isn't. Gentoo is about choice. If you choose speed is important than you are free to prioritize it. Others are free to choose stability. Systemd can't compete with openRC in terms of stability or customization.

If you try to customize too heavily on systemd you will start to break things.
Quote:
but using a slower and crappier init system by default just turns me off.
Again, without a metric to compare them this is subjective. It seems you are judging by speed and ignorance.
Quote:
Systemd is faster and more secure than OpenRC.
I already covered speed. As for security I'll debate you on that one. Systemd has a history of serous security holes that have gone unpached for over a year. OpenRC runs and shuts down meaning that by the time you get to login it isn't running and therefore can't comprise the box.
Quote:
When there's a start job stalling your boot time in systemd, you just hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter to skip it. With *bleep*, you're just stuck.
I'm curious. Did you take any time to learn how to use OpenRC? rc_interactive="YES" provides this functionality.

The fact is that the Gentoo population is growing in no small part due to users actively avoiding systemd.

Perhaps this article will explain why not everyone shares your view?

EDIT: Keep it civil or this thread will be locked and if there is no technical discussion you can expect it to be merged with the politics of systemd thread. An admin might decide to do that anyway since this is kind of what that entire thread is about.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Why... just... why is systemd a bad word for the majorit Reply with quote

roboto wrote:
Gentoo is about efficiency and speed after compiling, but using a slower and crappier init system by default just turns me off.
Even assuming that using systemd and only using systemd will bring efficiency and speed: For some people Gentoo is about speed and efficiency, for some people it isn't. There are valid reasons why someone would want to use systemd, and there are valid reasons why someone would not want to use systemd.

roboto wrote:
Why put in a ton of time getting systemd to work on your computer instead of OpenRC. Before you pound your keys telling me that systemd was easy to set up, this is according to my experience, not yours.
There are systemd stages. Did you use them?
http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64-systemd/
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Why... just... why is systemd a bad word for the majorit Reply with quote

roboto wrote:
Why... just... why is systemd a bad word for the majorit

systemd breaks unix design principles.. bad! i have no choice on arch & debian, other than systemd.. bad! currently, i am migrating everything (almost done) away from arch & debian, because of this..

roboto wrote:

i use openrc because it is faster and more efficient than systemd.
also, openrc is more open ;) if you can understand what i'm trying to say.

i think openrc could be more efficient, if it didn't use sysvinit.. openrc allows you that choice too.

roboto wrote:
Systemd is faster and more secure than OpenRC. OpenRC is a bad word to me, and I don't know why I'm saying it over and over in this post.

systemd is definitely not faster or more secure than most other inits, including openrc.

roboto wrote:
And to hell with that NetBSD developer who created the Gentoo/FreeBSD project

why are you here, sir?

Last edited by josephg on Sun May 07, 2017 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roboto,

roboto wrote:
To hell with *bleep*.

And to hell with that NetBSD developer who created the Gentoo/FreeBSD project--he started the idea of *bleep*.

The true hater of man expects nothing from him and is indiscriminate to his works.
-Ayn Rand

Oh dear, yet another systemd flame thread on the way to being locked.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
luiztux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Why... just... why is systemd a bad word for the majorit Reply with quote

Why... just... why not just use OpenRC?

roboto wrote:

Mind your manners! :(
roboto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There are systemd stages. Did you use them?
http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64-systemd/

Yes I have.

Quote:

I'm curious. Did you take any time to learn how to use OpenRC? rc_interactive="YES" provides this functionality.

I have never heard of this setting. Where is it?

Quote:
systemd breaks unix design principles..

Who told you that?

Overall, I take back what I said... but, I'm still holding on to systemd.

-Ayn Rand
Quote:

Yep
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically:

Older hands who are more familiar with Linux internals tend not to like systemd. What do you think why?
The style of original post looks like trolling. I. E. instead of asking if systemd is more secure or not it is declared to be more secure. Which it is not of course.
How one can tell one piece of software is better than another without even knowing how the other one works? Quote: "I have never heard of this setting. Where is it?"
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roboto wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
I have never heard of this setting. Where is it?
It is located in /etc/rc.conf which is OpenRC's config file.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why... just... why is systemd a bad word for the majorit Reply with quote

roboto wrote:
To hell with *bleep*.

I'm perfectly fine with you not liking Gentoo and/or FreeBSD.

You are in no way required to use either.

Since you have chosen to not use Gentoo, and this forum is specifically for Gentoo users, you might want to consider deleting your account here.

Goodbye.
roboto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The style of original post looks like trolling. I. E. instead of asking if systemd is more secure or not it is declared to be more secure. Which it is not of course.

If my original post sounds like trolling, please take notice that it is not intentional.

Quote:
How one can tell one piece of software is better than another without even knowing how the other one works? Quote: "I have never heard of this setting. Where is it?"

That, is an example of my ignorance. :|

I know Gentoo is for non-ignorant people, but I'm still learning about this distribution. I've only used this distro for two months and infrequently used it.

Quote:

Since you have chosen to not use Gentoo, and this forum is specifically for Gentoo users, you might want to consider deleting your account here.

Goodbye.

Goodbye.

At least I still use Gentoo. :D

-Ayn Rand
Quote:

Yep
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this might shed some light:

Considering that systemd breaks UNIX design principles, and since many mainstream distros have adopted it anyway, I strongly suspect that many people who used those distros and who are opposed to the adoption of systemd have migrated to Gentoo in order to avoid systemd.

This is just a theory, but it makes lots of sense to me. It also may help explain why so many Gentoo users feel so strongly about systemd one way or another.

Again, if you are so intent on using systemd you are free to either install systemd on your Gentoo box, or you're free to go find another distro. I like it here, and I'm staying.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why... just... why is systemd a bad word for the majority?

Roboto, let's say we do not hate systemd.

We hate preachers and fanatics.

I'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt though.
Have a second look at the title of your topic. Have a look at gentoo's design and priorities. Have a look at that title again.
Do you see why it makes you look bad? If you do... Thats great. The vast majority of systemd advocates does not. And it makes a big chunk of the problem with systemd.

Last edited by szatox on Thu May 04, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roboto wrote:
I have never heard of this

roboto wrote:
Quote:

Who told you that?

unix design philosophy nicely summarised on wikipedia: http://wikipedia.org/wiki/unix_philosophy

Last edited by josephg on Fri May 05, 2017 7:05 pm; edited 6 times in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets add some spice to the dullness of this thread. In short, there is conspiracy theory Big Brother wants us to use systemd ...
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roboto wrote:
Quote:

Who told you that?

This is one of the main arguments against using systemd. You should google the statement you quoted and read up, it appears you're a newcomer. It makes no sense to repeat what has been chewed over a million times already.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll bite...

OpenRC slower than Systemd?

I just recorded this ... Note the time it takes to reach BIOS, for GRUB2 to load, for the kernel to finish THEN OpenRC to my XDM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxW4BDaqkIc2M3NhM1Z1WlRTdGs/view?usp=sharing

and a bootchart. This is all the way to my desktop as well
https://i.imgur.com/hm3L4KH.png

At about t=4s OpenRC is started
t=7 the login prompt is visible.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Lets add some spice to the dullness of this thread. In short, there is conspiracy theory Big Brother wants us to use systemd ...

Wake up, morons – and that includes you Linus
roboto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If OpenRC is faster than systemd, then how come the other distributions that use systemd--Fedora, Solus, Gentoo--have a boot time of at most 6 seconds.

My experience with OpenRC on NetBSD, TrueOS, and Gentoo has a boot time of at least 15 seconds and at most 30 seconds.

If you're accusing me of misconfiguring OpenRC, I will accept it.

Now I will turn this thread into a technical thread.

One of my crappy computers--not my laptop--has Gentoo on it and is running OpenRC. If OpenRC is faster than systemd, can you show me how to do it?

My /etc/rc.conf file:

Code:
 # Global OpenRC configuration settings

# Set to "YES" if you want the rc system to try and start services
# in parallel for a slight speed improvement. When running in parallel we
# prefix the service output with its name as the output will get
# jumbled up.
# WARNING: whilst we have improved parallel, it can still potentially lock
# the boot process. Don't file bugs about this unless you can supply
# patches that fix it without breaking other things!
rc_parallel="YES"

# Set rc_interactive to "YES" and you'll be able to press the I key during
# boot so you can choose to start specific services. Set to "NO" to disable
# this feature. This feature is automatically disabled if rc_parallel is
# set to YES.
rc_interactive="YES"

# If we need to drop to a shell, you can specify it here.
# If not specified we use $SHELL, otherwise the one specified in /etc/passwd,
# otherwise /bin/sh
# Linux users could specify /sbin/sulogin
rc_shell=/sbin/sulogin

# Do we allow any started service in the runlevel to satisfy the dependency
# or do we want all of them regardless of state? For example, if net.eth0
# and net.eth1 are in the default runlevel then with rc_depend_strict="NO"
# both will be started, but services that depend on 'net' will work if either
# one comes up. With rc_depend_strict="YES" we would require them both to
# come up.
#rc_depend_strict="YES"

# rc_hotplug controls which services we allow to be hotplugged.
# A hotplugged service is one started by a dynamic dev manager when a matching
# hardware device is found.
# Hotplugged services appear in the "hotplugged" runlevel.
# If rc_hotplug is set to any value, we compare the name of this service
# to every pattern in the value, from left to right, and we allow the
# service to be hotplugged if it matches a pattern, or if it matches no
# patterns. Patterns can include shell wildcards.
# To disable services from being hotplugged, prefix patterns with "!".
#If rc_hotplug is not set or is empty, all hotplugging is disabled.
# Example - rc_hotplug="net.wlan !net.*"
# This allows net.wlan and any service not matching net.* to be hotplugged.
# Example - rc_hotplug="!net.*"
# This allows services that do not match "net.*" to be hotplugged.

# rc_logger launches a logging daemon to log the entire rc process to
# /var/log/rc.log
# NOTE: Linux systems require the devfs service to be started before
# logging can take place and as such cannot log the sysinit runlevel.
#rc_logger="NO"

# Through rc_log_path you can specify a custom log file.
# The default value is: /var/log/rc.log
#rc_log_path="/var/log/rc.log"

# If you want verbose output for OpenRC, set this to yes. If you want
# verbose output for service foo only, set it to yes in /etc/conf.d/foo.
#rc_verbose=no

# By default we filter the environment for our running scripts. To allow other
# variables through, add them here. Use a * to allow all variables through.
#rc_env_allow="VAR1 VAR2"

# By default we assume that all daemons will start correctly.
# However, some do not - a classic example is that they fork and return 0 AND
# then child barfs on a configuration error. Or the daemon has a bug and the
# child crashes. You can set the number of milliseconds start-stop-daemon
# waits to check that the daemon is still running after starting here.
# The default is 0 - no checking.
#rc_start_wait=100

# rc_nostop is a list of services which will not stop when changing runlevels.
# This still allows the service itself to be stopped when called directly.
#rc_nostop=""

# rc will attempt to start crashed services by default.
# However, it will not stop them by default as that could bring down other
# critical services.
#rc_crashed_stop=NO
#rc_crashed_start=YES

# Set rc_nocolor to yes if you do not want colors displayed in OpenRC
# output.
#rc_nocolor=NO

##############################################################################
# MISC CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
# There variables are shared between many init scripts

# Set unicode to YES to turn on unicode support for keyboards and screens.
unicode="YES"

# This is how long fuser should wait for a remote server to respond. The
# default is 60 seconds, but  it can be adjusted here.
#rc_fuser_timeout=60

# Below is the default list of network fstypes.
#
# afs ceph cifs coda davfs fuse fuse.sshfs gfs glusterfs lustre ncpfs
# nfs nfs4 ocfs2 shfs smbfs
#
# If you would like to add to this list, you can do so by adding your
# own fstypes to the following variable.
#extra_net_fs_list=""

# SERVICE CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
# These variables are documented here, but should be configured in
# /etc/conf.d/foo for service foo and NOT enabled here unless you
# really want them to work on a global basis.
# If your service has characters in its name which are not legal in
# shell variable names and you configure the variables for it in this
# file, those characters should be replaced with underscores in the
# variable names as shown below.

# Some daemons are started and stopped via start-stop-daemon.
# We can set some things on a per service basis, like the nicelevel.
#SSD_NICELEVEL="-19"
# Or the ionice level. The format is class[:data] , just like the
# --ionice start-stop-daemon parameter.
#SSD_IONICELEVEL="2:2"

# Pass ulimit parameters
# If you are using bash in POSIX mode for your shell, note that the
# ulimit command uses a block size of 512 bytes for the -c and -f
# options
#rc_ulimit="-u 30"

# It's possible to define extra dependencies for services like so
#rc_config="/etc/foo"
#rc_need="openvpn"
#rc_use="net.eth0"
#rc_after="clock"
#rc_before="local"
#rc_provide="!net"

# You can also enable the above commands here for each service. Below is an
# example for service foo.
#rc_foo_config="/etc/foo"
#rc_foo_need="openvpn"
#rc_foo_after="clock"

# Below is an example for service foo-bar. Note that the '-' is illegal
# in a shell variable name, so we convert it to an underscore.
# example for service foo-bar.
#rc_foo_bar_config="/etc/foo-bar"
#rc_foo_bar_need="openvpn"
#rc_foo_bar_after="clock"

# You can also remove dependencies.
# This is mainly used for saying which services do NOT provide net.
#rc_net_tap0_provide="!net"

# This is the subsystem type.
# It is used to match against keywords set by the keyword call in the
# depend function of service scripts.
#
# It should be set to the value representing the environment this file is
# PRESENTLY in, not the virtualization the environment is capable of.
# If it is commented out, automatic detection will be used.
#
# The list below shows all possible settings as well as the host
# operating systems where they can be used and autodetected.
#
# ""               - nothing special
# "docker"         - Docker container manager (Linux)
# "jail"           - Jail (DragonflyBSD or FreeBSD)
# "lxc"            - Linux Containers
# "openvz"         - Linux OpenVZ
# "prefix"         - Prefix
# "rkt"            - CoreOS container management system (Linux)
# "subhurd"        - Hurd subhurds (to be checked)
# "systemd-nspawn" - Container created by systemd-nspawn (Linux)
# "uml"            - Usermode Linux
# "vserver"        - Linux vserver
# "xen0"           - Xen0 Domain (Linux and NetBSD)
# "xenU"           - XenU Domain (Linux and NetBSD)
#rc_sys=""

# on Linux and Hurd, this is the number of ttys allocated for logins
# It is used in the consolefont, keymaps, numlock and termencoding
# service scripts.
rc_tty_number=12

# LINUX CGROUPS RESOURCE MANAGEMENT

# If you have cgroups turned on in your kernel, this switch controls
# whether or not a group for each controller is mounted under
# /sys/fs/cgroup.
# None of the other options in this section work if this is set to "NO".
#rc_controller_cgroups="YES"

# The following settings allow you to set up values for the cgroup
# controllers for your services.
# They can be set in this file;, however, if you do this, the settings
# will apply to all of your services.
# If you want different settings for each service, place the settings in
# /etc/conf.d/foo for service foo.
# The format is to specify the names of the settings followed by their
# values. Each variable can hold multiple settings.
# For example, you would use this to set the cpu.shares setting in the
# cpu controller to 512 for your service.
# rc_cgroup_cpu="
# cpu.shares 512
# "
#
#For more information about the adjustments that can be made with
#cgroups, see Documentation/cgroups/* in the linux kernel source tree.

# Set the blkio controller settings for this service.
#rc_cgroup_blkio=""

# Set the cpu controller settings for this service.
#rc_cgroup_cpu=""

# Add this service to the cpuacct controller (any value means yes).
#rc_cgroup_cpuacct=""

# Set the cpuset controller settings for this service.
#rc_cgroup_cpuset=""

# Set the devices controller settings for this service.
#rc_cgroup_devices=""

# Set the hugetlb controller settings for this service.
#rc_cgroup_hugetlb=""

# Set the memory controller settings for this service.
#rc_cgroup_memory=""

# Set the net_cls controller settings for this service.
#rc_cgroup_net_cls=""

# Set the net_prio controller settings for this service.
#rc_cgroup_net_prio=""

# Set the pids controller settings for this service.
#rc_cgroup_pids=""

# Set this to YES if you want all of the processes in a service's cgroup
# killed when the service is stopped or restarted.
# This should not be set globally because it kills all of the service's
# child processes, and most of the time this is undesirable. Please set
# it in /etc/conf.d/<service>.
# To perform this cleanup manually for a stopped service, you can
# execute cgroup_cleanup with /etc/init.d/<service> cgroup_cleanup or
# rc-service <service> cgroup_cleanup.
# rc_cgroup_cleanup="NO"

Even with rc_paralell="YES" my boot time is 27 seconds on a hard drive. I've seen with hard drives the boot time is 7 seconds.

I am convinced that OpenRC is the supreme init system.

I'm learning.

-Ayn Rand
Quote:

Yep
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

app-benchmarks/bootchart2

Haven't tried it, why don't you try it and tell us how it works. Also you can turn on OpenRC boot logging, should give clues. Are you using prelink? Custom kernel?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try a different attempt - from personal experience.

Have you ever had a service fail to start, and give you no idea why? I did, and because SysVInit (and OpenRC) use traditional shell scripts to do their work, I was able to hack my way through the problem and fix it. From what I can tell, systemd is only hackable to the extent that the systemd developers have envisioned and permitted.

My case was with "openafs", a cached, networked filesystem. My problem - it simply failed to start, leaving nothing in dmesg or any other logging method. I looked through the initscript and openafs documentation, and discovered that openafs actually was logging startup information - it was just being sent to /dev/null by the initscript. I simply changed the initscript to send that stuff to the syslog. At that point I discovered that there was some overhead to afs caching, and I had to either enlarge the cache partition or reduce the configured cache size - it even gave me the correct numbers. A quick tweak and I was on my way.

Perhaps openafs should have done this by default - but they didn't. Maybe systemd does - I don't know. But forget this specific example - the fact is that I was able to hack my way through an initscript and fix my problem. At the moment, the "language" systemd uses for its service files is not Turing-complete - it's not a real hacking tool.

Look up "Unix Philosophy" and you'll perhaps understand more. The idea is to combine small, simple, universal tools to make something bigger and better. But there is also another aspect to this. The developers have enabled capabilities that they never envisioned or imagined, simply by following this philosophy. Unix has been around and evolving for over 40 years, and the correct philosophy underpinning it is a big part of why it has been able to do that.
proteusx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Systemd is totalitarianism.

EDIT.
Also, having binary logs is dumb.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roboto wrote:
Even with rc_paralell="YES" my boot time is 27 seconds on a hard drive. I've seen with hard drives the boot time is 7 seconds.
Something isn't right. As Jaglover says bootchart2 or a log would be helpful.

Although you can probably get a good idea what by monitoring the boot process.

Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my money is on eth0 obtaining a dhcp address.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: