Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Is it just me or doesn't Wayland work under Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Is it just me or doesn't Wayland work under Gentoo? Reply with quote

I love Gentoo but I must admit I've noticed that Wayland isn't so well-functioning under it, compared to how well it works under say Arch Linux (when we control for hardware, that is). To be precise whenever I try to start a Wayland session whether it be Sway or Plasma on Wayland using SDDM, it immediately crashes. On Arch Linux this issue does not occur and all Wayland sessions launch fine at least and with the exception of Plasma on Wayland they run flawlessly. Is this a bug I should report at Gentoo Bugzilla? I ask because frankly it's not like as though I have an awful lot of information to report to them (in order to help them fix this bug), unless you's can tell me about some logs I can attach that I'm not aware of. My graphics cards, if relevant, are NVIDIA 740M and Intel integrated graphics 4th generation.

Last edited by fusion809 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use systemd or openrc?
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

systemd, which I would have thought would have worked better with Wayland if anything given the fact that the distros with the best Wayland support, Arch Linux and Fedora, both use systemd.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then nothing speaks against Wayland sessions working flawlessly on Gentoo, you'll have to compare your Arch setup with your Gentoo one, most likely graphics stack. On openrc I am using elogind to enter Plasma Wayland sessions working just as fine as with systemd.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using dual NVIDIA and Intel graphics cards like me? If not well maybe it could explain it as I heard from a guy in the #gentoo channel a few weeks ago that Sway always crashed on startup for him and he had dual NVIDIA and Intel graphics cards.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both without a problem though when launching runescape-launcher (games-rpg/runescape-launcher) with Optirun though so I am doubtful it's due to a problem setup.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't go anywhere near Nvidia and it has served me well. Depending on nvidia-drivers would make it impossible for me to test Plasma Wayland sessions. Works with Intel and AMD.

fusion809 wrote:
I use both without a problem though when launching runescape-launcher (games-rpg/runescape-launcher) with Optirun though so I am doubtful it's due to a problem setup.

What does runescape-launcher have to do with Wayland?
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to run runescape-launcher with Optirun (using both graphics cards NVIDIA and Intel) has something to do with graphics cards and graphics cards, I was speculating (and you seem to have confirmed), may have something to do with the Wayland crashes. If I could launch runescape-launcher with NVIDIA and Intel cards it would suggest that the way I've set up my Gentoo system, with respect to hardware support, wasn't the problem and you were suggesting earlier my configuration (or at least that's what I thought you meant by graphics stack, although I suppose you could have been referring to hardware) might be the problem. Has that cleared it up? Not asking sarcastically but I would like to think that I've helped ya see why I mentioned it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's two entirely different things, unless runescape-launcher also starts a Wayland session you do not gain any information from it.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine on the same hardware under Arch Linux and Fedora though, so it does seem to be specific to Gentoo.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works for other people, so it's specific to your setup. :p The only thing you know via runescape-launcher is that Optirun seems to work, that's good, but Wayland is a different matter.

No, really, there's probably something USE flag related that is not working on your Gentoo setup.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got these global USE flags and VIDEO_CARDS variables (in /etc/portage/make.conf, of course):

Code:

USE="alsa bumblebee gtk kms nvidia wayland X xwayland -bindist -bluetooth"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia intel"

this and my other configs can be found at https://github.com/fusion809/gentoo-config. If I've got something wrong it's a complete mystery to me. Especially seeing how everything else seems to be working fine. The only package I've explicity disabled Wayland support (via setting the USE flag to -wayland in /etc/portage/package.use) on is dev-libs/efl and that is because it wouldn't allow me to build it with the wayland and the opengl USE flag enabled on this package. There is no reference to wayland in /etc/portage/package.mask (like masking a package with the wayland USE flag). The way I tested for these references to wayland is by running:

Code:

grep --include="*" -Ri "wayland"

in /etc/portage/package.use and /etc/portage/package.mask, just so you know my methods for searching aren't flawed. Oh and my system is up-to-date, I regularly (daily, if not more frequently) sync with emerge --sync and then update the world set with:

Code:

emerge --verbose-conflicts -uDU --with-bdeps=y @world

Frankly as far as I can tell I did everything right for it.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll be I re-emerged efl with the wayland USE flag enabled and now Plasma on Wayland launches fine, although Sway is still crashing. I hadn't tried Plasma on Wayland for like a week though so maybe it was just an update that fixed it. Does this mean I should report this as a bug in Sway? How do I get logs for it? I know the Bugzilla guide tells ya how to get logs for a program you can launch from the command-line but to my understanding this cannot be done for Sway.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvm the Arch Wiki taught me I could launch it that way didn't realize compositors could be.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reported at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=622808. Marking as SOLVED as now it's up to the devs. Funny thing is that it seems like a very trivial issue with the package. It seems like they created a USE flag (swaylock) for an 'option' that is actually not an option as without it Sway crashes.

Last edited by fusion809 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusion809 wrote:
Well I'll be I re-emerged efl with the wayland USE flag enabled and now Plasma on Wayland launches fine

Plasma has no dependency on efl for sure so that would be strange.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya that's why I posited an alternative explanation, namely that maybe a fix had been pushed for the Plasma on Wayland issue. Sway seems to be failing for a trivial reason, which I mentioned in my last comment, must admit I was surprised that it wasn't picked up earlier, must mean Sway is under-used on Gentoo or everyone uses the USE flags that by-pass this issue.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusion809 wrote:
Ya that's why I posited an alternative explanation, namely that maybe a fix had been pushed for the Plasma on Wayland issue.

None that I know of, at least not as far as Frameworks/Plasma is concerned, unless you only recently made a major upgrade to either 5.34 or 5.10.2 - each new release is supposed to improve things on the Wayland front ofc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: