Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
install step 9: emerge sync - update portage (?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyfulcrum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: install step 9: emerge sync - update portage (?) Reply with quote

Step 9 of the install - emerge sync:

everything runs fine, but the message:

An update to portage is available . It is _highly_ recommended that you update portage now, before any other packages are updated. Please do so and then update ALL of your configuration files.

I don't get it. is this because I'm running a fake version for compiling and building my system? I grabbed 1.4 iso images of cd1 and cd2 and using stage1.

to update Portage would I just:

emerge -u emerge

or

emerge -u portage

?

how do I then update ALL my configuration files?
scootersmk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to update portage you would do:

Code:
emerge portage

or
Code:
emerge -u portage

You will probably be alright to go ahead and skip this because it will get updated when you do emerge system, but I do not think it would hurt.
hadfield
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't get it. is this because I'm running a fake version for compiling and building my system? I grabbed 1.4 iso images of cd1 and cd2 and using stage1.

The 1.4 iso images are 2 months old now, new versions of portage have since been released. Since you just ran emerge sync, emerge can now see that your portage version is old. So it's not really a 'fake' version, just an outdated version.
johnnyfulcrum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadfiel wrote:
Quote:

The 1.4 iso images are 2 months old now, new versions of portage have since been released. Since you just ran emerge sync, emerge can now see that your portage version is old. So it's not really a 'fake' version, just an outdated version.

Cool - so it'd make sense to edit the make.conf for my set up BEFORE doing this emerge on the protage system - right? An I could have avoided this alltogether if I would have just Downloaded the stage1 tar ball instead of using the one on the disk?

Thanks - all - I'm excited to be learning this much about linux!
johnnyfulcrum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadfiel wrote:
Quote:

Cool - so it'd make sense to edit the make.conf for my set up BEFORE doing this emerge on the protage system - right? An I could have avoided this alltogether if I would have just Downloaded the stage1 tar ball instead of using the one on the disk?

Thanks - all - I'm excited to be learning this much about linux!
hadfield
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so it'd make sense to edit the make.conf for my set up BEFORE doing this emerge on the protage system - right?

After you run emerge sync, but before you emerge anything else is when you should edit the settings in your make.conf file. The make.conf file contains settings mostly related to compiling software. emerge sync does compile anything, but emerge anything else will compile stuff.

Quote:
I could have avoided this alltogether if I would have just Downloaded the stage1 tar ball

As long as no new versions of portage had been released between the build of the stage1 tarball and now.
hadfield
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so it'd make sense to edit the make.conf for my set up BEFORE doing this emerge on the protage system - right?

After you run emerge sync, but before you emerge anything else is when you should edit the settings in your make.conf file. The make.conf file contains settings mostly related to compiling software. emerge sync does compile anything, but emerge anything else will compile stuff.

Quote:
I could have avoided this alltogether if I would have just Downloaded the stage1 tar ball

As long as no new versions of portage had been released between the build of the stage1 tarball and now.
kmj0377
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll upgrade your portage and other stuff later when you do the bootstrap and emerge system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: