Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lines across screen during first boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Lines across screen during first boot Reply with quote

Hello,
I just installed Gentoo Linux 1.2 on my machine, GRUB is working and I followed all the directions necessary in the handy install guide. My problem is that whenever i try to boot to Gentoo, some modules are loaded, then the screen goes blank except with many vertical lines across the screen. I am then forced to do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot and go back to my GRUB menu.
My boot partition is 100 MB and is running on ext3 while my root partition is running XFS. I used the kernel specified for XFS and compiled it according to what was in the install guide along with seperate support for my Sound Blaster live and such. Is it a known problem during a bad kernel compile or is it a known problem as a gentoo install?
If it is either, could I please get instructions on what to do so I may use my Gentoo install CD as a rescue disk?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Enrique

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I didn't mention it in the parent message, could it also be an etc/fstab issue? All the dump/pass numbers were 0 0 as it was default, should I have changed them? Could that have been a contriburing factor?

thanks again
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_o

What kind of video card do you have? What settings do you have in your kernel for framebuffer support?

First reaction is that you have a fancy framebuffer loaded that is b0rked in one way or another, and when it gets loaded it screws everything up. Try taking out all the framebuffers other than the VESA VGA graphics console out. (keep the advanced low level drivers in with support for higher color settings)

Assuming the Gentoo boot CD has XFS support, you can use it as a rescue disk like so:

boot it, and hit enter 18 billion times until it gives you a prompt. do:

Code:
dhcpcd (only if you want/need net support- making the assumption you use dhcp to set up your network)
cd /mnt
mkdir gentoo
mount /dev/hdax (where x is your / partition) /mnt/gentoo -t xfs (I think.. never used XFS :P)
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
mount /proc
mount /bash
swapon -a
env-update
source /etc/profile

Voila, you're now in your normal environment. Of course, none of your real fancy tools will work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: