installing 2.6 Livecd (slightly long)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: installing 2.6 Livecd (slightly long) Reply with quote

Well, I started installing yesterday from the new 2.6 livecd and boy what a bear it has been.

I decided to do it on a seperate hard drive to just do some experimenting with it and see just how much different things are going right into the 2.6 kernel vs upgrading from 2.4

From boot everything went normal(only thing is the bootsplash picture didnt not work). Started from stage 1 and the bootstrap went amazingly well.

The problems came about when I tried to do
Code:
emerge system

I could not get modutils to install. From what I can tell it had something to do with the hardended-gcc package. Once, I turned that off, modutils compiled fine.

The other problem I had was installing sash, which I never even noticed on my system before. It too would not install but I dont know why for sure and because I didnt keep good notes of error messages, I cant offer and kind of help to debug. For that package I changed the name of the -r3 ebuild to the current -r5 ebuild and it compiled fine.

Finally when I thought I was over my hurdles, i once again tried to emerge system and that damned hardend-gcc got in the way. It is really a pain. Once I turned it off AGAIN, everything compiled fine.

But now, it is time for me to go to be so I will compile the kernel tomorrow. Usually i am done by now but what a mess this has been.

Thanks for listening

Cat
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: