View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Firefox use flags / optimizations Reply with quote

Greetings all, what are people are setting for firefox use flags these days?

What I see available is:
Code:
 USE="dbus gmp-autoupdate jack nsplugin system-icu wifi -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -hardened -hwaccel (-neon) -pgo -pulseaudio (-selinux) -startup-notification (-system-cairo) -system-harfbuzz -system-jpeg -system-libevent -system-libvpx -system-sqlite {-test} (-jemalloc%*)"

There are some descriptions on the wiki https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Firefox#USE_flags

I am curious if anyone sets hwaccel or any of the 'system' ones? and if there is an improvement?
Also pgo?
cheers
thumper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox use flags / optimizations Reply with quote

turtles wrote:

I am curious if anyone sets hwaccel or any of the 'system' ones? and if there is an improvement?
Also pgo?
cheers

I'm using hwaccel and it has made a performance improvement and working well for me in at least the last few versions of firefox, I have a AMD RX-480 video card.
My flags:
Code:
dbus gmp-autoupdate hwaccel nsplugin pulseaudio startup-notification system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -hardened -jack -neon -pgo -selinux -system-cairo -test -wifi

George
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here:
Code:
Installed versions:  52.3.0(08:21:17 12/09/2017)(bindist custom-cflags custom-optimization dbus gmp-autoupdate gtk2 jack jemalloc pulseaudio startup-notification system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite wifi -debug -hardened -hwaccel -neon -pgo -rust -selinux -system-cairo -test
Despite achieved build, pgo is a show stopper here, with scrambled letters at text display.
Network and image displays are fine, though.
rust packages set in gentoo doesn't seem to mach implicit requirements for this firefox version.
Maybe latest unstable firefox matches, haven't tried it yet.
As for hwaccel, here is a HD4000 Intel, so my guess is that it shouldn't be useful (might be wrong).

Thks 4 ur attention.
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
Here:
Code:
Installed versions:  52.3.0(08:21:17 12/09/2017)(bindist custom-cflags custom-optimization dbus gmp-autoupdate gtk2 jack jemalloc pulseaudio startup-notification system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite wifi -debug -hardened -hwaccel -neon -pgo -rust -selinux -system-cairo -test
Despite achieved build, pgo is a show stopper here, with scrambled letters at text display.
Network and image displays are fine, though.
rust packages set in gentoo doesn't seem to mach implicit requirements for this firefox version.
Maybe latest unstable firefox matches, haven't tried it yet.
As for hwaccel, here is a HD4000 Intel, so my guess is that it shouldn't be useful (might be wrong).

Thks 4 ur attention.

Same for me, had to disable PGO again to be able to read anything.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google says somewhere that pgo forces -O3 optimisations.
AFAIR pgo used to launch program requesting user to handle it before a second compilation cycle.

It didn't request user handle of the program.
I don't understand why and how pgo works.

Maybe there is a way to restore that old pgo behavoir with pgo disabled as a build flag but forced somewhere else at portage level.

As a side note pgo shrinked binary size from ~101 to ~78, which is possibly too much...

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I used pgo, it worked like, it first compiled Firefox, then it opened the compiled Firefox to run some tests (during build), made adjustments and compiled it again with different settings. So during the compilation it would just open a new firefox session, run some tests, and continue compiling. It took twice as long to build firefox with pgo on. I havent used it in a while though.

The thing with system- flags is that it doesnt use libs that Firefox ships, and it _can_ lead to problems (like garbled fonts for example). However, the libs that firefox ships are usually quite old and might have security issues. I personally only use system-libvpx, havent run any tests how the other system- flags affect my usage. It works well enough with these.

Code:

USE="dbus gmp-autoupdate hwaccel pulseaudio startup-notification system-libvpx -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -hardened -jack (-neon) -nsplugin -pgo (-selinux) (-system-cairo) -system-harfbuzz -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-libevent -system-sqlite {-test} -wifi"
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info I'll tryout hwaccel a few of the system ones and avoid pgo and see if I get an improvement.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: