BOINC. LHC@home. Gnome. Systemd. [solved-ish]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unheatedgarage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: BOINC. LHC@home. Gnome. Systemd. [solved-ish] Reply with quote

Greetings.

A couple of years ago I had this running smoothly in Ubuntu, but at some point something got borked. I fiddled with it but kind-of gave up. After getting into Gentoo I tried again but still had the same results.

LHC@home uses Virtualbox for all of its projects except for Sixtrack, so I’ve been able to crunch for them in that respect. The problem is, there’s some conflicting information: on BOINC’s download page https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php they say:

Quote:
If available, we recommend that you install a distribution-specific package instead.

Okay. This is what I’ve been doing, but it’s somewhat misleading if you want to get LHC@home to recognize that Virtualbox is installed. A little deeper down on their faq they explain http://lhcathome.web.cern.ch/im-getting-lots-errors-and-i-have-boinc-installed-servicedaemon-problem

Quote:
BOINC must not be installed as a service (Windows) or a daemon (GNU/Linux) because this project uses Virtual Machines. When BOINC is installed as a service or a daemon it runs as an unprivileged user and cannot run any virtual machine.
[...]
For GNU/Linux users the recommendation is to use the official BOINC GNU/Linux installer instead of the packaged ones for your distribution.

After reading this over a few times, it started to dawn on me what the problem was, so:

I stopped and disabled the boinc.service

Code:
sudo systemctl stop boinc.service && sudo systemctl disable boinc.service

And I fired up boinc from the command line

Code:
boinc_client

At this point, clicking on the boinc icon just sent me to the old client with the same tired error messages, but opening the manager from a new terminal worked.

Code:
boincmgr

I was then greeted with the new client that recognizes Virtualbox. I then had to reconnect to the LHC@home project and things have been rolling along nicely ever since, just having to remember to manually restart the client after each reboot.

All of this feels hacky. Learning more about systemd in my spare time, it’d be cool to set up an automatic service that uses my privileged user account. Or, I was thinking I could go into dconf and get Gnome to fire it up. Old Ubuntu made it super easy to use commands for startup applications, but I’m not finding anything similar on this system; gnome-tweak-tool doesn’t seem to offer anything like that. Has anyone used the official BOINC installer? Would that be the best way forward?

Anyhoo, I’m working on it. If anyone has any guidance it’d be much appreciated. I’ll update here if I find anything.

Peace. Love. Happiness.

Last edited by unheatedgarage on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: BOINC. LHC@home. Gnome. Systemd. Reply with quote

Quote:

At this point, clicking on the boinc icon just sent me to the old client with the same tired error messages, but opening the manager from a new terminal worked.

Maybe a bit of redundant information but I think this has happened because the path in your desktop file leads to the older version. Try change that and see how it fires up?
unheatedgarage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip, ZappingLinux,

Something assures me you’re right, and I would have pressed your approach, but I’ve run into issues with GNOME’s Rygel server, which has been taking up my time. So much so, that I have (like hákarl) submitted to the stench of defeat and bailed on GNOME entirely. I write this now from a crispy-clean LXDE desktop, and I’m hanging my head in shame.

After using it for almost 2 years, there were a lot of things I grew to love about gnome—it was the foundation for the Unity that brought me into the Linux world, after all, but there were so many dependencies and whatnot that it began to grow gluttonous in my eyes. As I was sifting through the Rygel quagmire I began to see its grotesqueness. The whole reason why I left Ubuntu in the first place was because of the absurd dependencies. (this is how I’m rationalizing it. Shhhh. Leave me be.)

So here I stand, flag planted on a hilltop. Not a white flag, but a flag nonetheless...

Still on systemd, though. It’s challenging, but I liken it to the old argument about points v.s. electronic ignition—carburetors v.s. fuel-injection—drum v.s. disk brakes, etc.

As far as the whole BOINC thing goes, it’s good enough.

My Dad and I used to frequent the motorcycle scene. We were Guzzi riders. The running joke was about BMW riders who were effete snobs—their noses too buried in their gadgets to get down the road. The contrary were the Guzzisti—grizzled old men who were all-to-eager to use a hose-clamp and an innertube to fix a problem. In fact, Guzzi riders mostly rally around that concept. These would be the guys sitting around a campfire, nodding in agreement, saying “good enough”.

Gentoo, too, has such a community. A community that rallies around the lost; the broken, offering encouragement and help at every corner.

I’ve been using that analogy with my Dad (who introduced me to computers, and linux), comparing Gentoo with the other systems, but that really doesn’t do it justice. There’s a quiet elegance to Portage and the USE flag system that makes it hard to sum up in a few words, so I’ll just leave it at that.

Thanks again, ZappingLinux. The leaves are changing and falling here, and people are getting out their holiday decorations. It's that time-of-year. Happy Halloween to you and your loved ones.

And a happy Halloween to everyone else out there. Thank you for your help over the years. Know that you are loved, wherever you are!
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unheatedgarage wrote:
Thank you for the tip, ZappingLinux,

Something assures me you’re right, and I would have pressed your approach, but I’ve run into issues with GNOME’s Rygel server, which has been taking up my time. So much so, that I have (like hákarl) submitted to the stench of defeat and bailed on GNOME entirely. I write this now from a crispy-clean LXDE desktop, and I’m hanging my head in shame.

After using it for almost 2 years, there were a lot of things I grew to love about gnome—it was the foundation for the Unity that brought me into the Linux world, after all, but there were so many dependencies and whatnot that it began to grow gluttonous in my eyes. As I was sifting through the Rygel quagmire I began to see its grotesqueness. The whole reason why I left Ubuntu in the first place was because of the absurd dependencies. (this is how I’m rationalizing it. Shhhh. Leave me be.)

So here I stand, flag planted on a hilltop. Not a white flag, but a flag nonetheless...

Still on systemd, though. It’s challenging, but I liken it to the old argument about points v.s. electronic ignition—carburetors v.s. fuel-injection—drum v.s. disk brakes, etc.

As far as the whole BOINC thing goes, it’s good enough.

My Dad and I used to frequent the motorcycle scene. We were Guzzi riders. The running joke was about BMW riders who were effete snobs—their noses too buried in their gadgets to get down the road. The contrary were the Guzzisti—grizzled old men who were all-to-eager to use a hose-clamp and an innertube to fix a problem. In fact, Guzzi riders mostly rally around that concept. These would be the guys sitting around a campfire, nodding in agreement, saying “good enough”.

Gentoo, too, has such a community. A community that rallies around the lost; the broken, offering encouragement and help at every corner.

I’ve been using that analogy with my Dad (who introduced me to computers, and linux), comparing Gentoo with the other systems, but that really doesn’t do it justice. There’s a quiet elegance to Portage and the USE flag system that makes it hard to sum up in a few words, so I’ll just leave it at that.

Thanks again, ZappingLinux. The leaves are changing and falling here, and people are getting out their holiday decorations. It's that time-of-year. Happy Halloween to you and your loved ones.

And a happy Halloween to everyone else out there. Thank you for your help over the years. Know that you are loved, wherever you are!

No problem buddy! Wish you all the best and happy halloween to you too! :D
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unheatedgarage - thank you for this. I've been trying to get Cosmology@home to run virtualbox projects on my system for several months & couldn't figure out why boinc couldn't recognize virtualbox. Disabling the openrc boinc service and just running "boinc_client --daemon" as user fixed it.
unheatedgarage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<excellent_smithers_mr_burns.jpg>

I'm so glad that worked out for you. Seriously, that'll be the best Christmas present this year.

Apparently this wasn't a Gnome/systemd thing, as I still have to do it on my XFCE layout, and it's a thing for you too, so it must just be a Boinc thing. So I can mark this as "kind'a/sort'a/pretty much/for the most part...solved?

[solved-ish]

Hope you had a hearty Thanksgiving. I know I'll be eating turkey (in some form or another [pot pie, anyone?]) for the next few weeks. So let us rub our bellys in content and watch our boincs crunch in glee, for now is the season that sets upon us.

A heartfelt Merry Christmas to you, Section_8, and in case I forget to post on New Years Eve, here's my gratuitous drunken "I love you man!" to everyone else in Gentooland too:

I LOVE YOU MAN
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: