Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do I start (boot) *one* service in debug mode?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: How do I start (boot) *one* service in debug mode? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have one service, mdraid service that actually starts fine (i.e. all RAID member disks are detected and assembled ok) but shows a red star right after it. The system is minimal, i.e. only text mode and the basic, few commands, no graphics interface. When I start mdraid on the command line everything is fine and there's no red star, disks are indeed properly detected and assembled. Weird.

So I'd like to [auto-]start mdraid in debug mode, just as if I had typed /etc/init.d/mdraid --debug start. Is it possible?

As a corollary I'd also like to know how I can find why the dmraid service seems to return an error, that would spare me some time I recon. Yet my initial question remains as it relates to any situation where I'd want to have one particular service start in debug mode, nice to know if that's possible.

Thanks in advance anyway for any hint or suggestion.

EDIT: Ok, I found out on my own why the mdraid service fails. The reason is I used an initramfs to start the RAID (though I believe it's absolutely useless since my root filesystem is on a partition that is available at startup). When the dmraid service starts the RAID array already exists so the former ends with an error. So I removed dmraid from any runlevel and voilà, no more red star.

My initial question still remains though.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know for the --debug option, that's an option for openrc not for the service itself.
but if you want more verbosity on the service.
Code:
echo 'rc_verbose="yes"' >> /etc/conf.d/mdraid
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
i don't know for the --debug option, that's an option for openrc not for the service itself.
but if you want more verbosity on the service.
Code:
echo 'rc_verbose="yes"' >> /etc/conf.d/mdraid

Thanks krinn, that's quite simple indeed! The --debug option is an openrc feature that is parsed (I believe) by openrc-run to run set -x.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: