View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdl313
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Lost root password after attempting profile update Reply with quote

I recently attempted to update the desktop/plasma profile of my AMD64 installation. For unknown reasons, binutils failed to emerge. Before continuing on, I had to shut down my machine (probably a bad move). After that, KDE fails to install, apparently because dbus does not start up. I get messages such as,
"Unknown username "root" in message bus configuration file. Could not get password database information for UID or current process. User "???" unknown or no memory to allocate password entry. Failed to start message bus: Could not get UID and GID for user name "messagebus"."
This is followed by messages that /usr/bin/dbus-daemon, dbus, and a series of services failed to start. I wind up with a black screen just showing the mouse pointer. I am unable to log in from a terminal as root or user....my passwords are not recognized.
I tried a chroot with a live CD into my root partition. The /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/nsswitch files were present. I backed them up and replaced them with same files from my daily backup, but this had no effect. Also could not change my root password.
Would incomplete update of profile have caused this? Corruption of binutils programs? Would appreciate any suggestions for getting back into root so that I can update system.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's binutils that would have caused this kind of failure. It's probably something else.

So I don't understand, after you shutdown and restarted, you were able to login and restart the install, but after KDE fails, now you can't login at all?

The packages dealing with authentication are:

- sys-libs/pam
- sys-apps/shadow

These should not be using dbus, it would be some other authentication mechanism that's using dbus (like consolekit.) If pam completely broke, it may cause problems like this.

Since you're completely locked out, probably have to work from a chroot for now. Are there any etc-update/dispatch-conf configurations that are pending (especially pam)?

Did you compile and start using a new kernel recently?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of weirdness can happen when you run out of hard disk space or inodes and end up with filesystem corruption. Just my 2¢.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a similar problem re-emerging shadow fixed it for me. Maybe worth a try.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pam uses the pie flag. Did it re-emerge OK? Try re-emerging pam and openssh in a chroot.

The first time I switched to 17.0 it took forever. The second time, instead of re-emerging everything I did this:
Code:
eselect profile {number of 17.0/Desktop}
. /etc/profile
emerge -1v gcc
emerge -1v sys-devel/libtool
emerge -1v binutils
emerge -1v glibc
emerge -1a /lib*/**.a /usr/lib*/**.a
emerge -auvND world
The next to the last step emerged 39 packages, The last step emerged pam and openssh.

I'm told by moderators that the order is critical.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: