Openmosix and distcc...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Openmosix and distcc... Reply with quote

Ok i am very seriously thinking about instaling the openmosix sources and building a 5 box cluster to boot up my little network. My question is simple and i'm probably just beeing a bit blind about it.
Well the question is this, i know that the cluster will handle high load processes however will it also distribute the compile tasks between the nodes or do i have to use distcc the regular way to do this?
Thanks in advance
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use distcc because compile processes usually do not live long enough for omosix to migrate them.
You might be interested to know that the openmosix-howto has just been reviewed.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openmosix-howto.xml
There is also a new diskless-howto, just in case.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/diskless-howto.xml
This thread might interest you as well
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=54913
renfield
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I await for people to solve my problem on the other thread, might as well help out.

Distcc does that, openmosix don't handle compile as a proces needs to run several seconds before it migrates, and according to the openmosix howto (if i remember), compiles are composed of diffrent mini porocesses that happens to fast before openmosix can catch em. Install both anyway if you want.
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the incredibly fast response guys.
neysx i've been looking at the how-to for a few days now and that was one of my biggest doubts. It looks like that the possibility of combining both openmosix and distcc will grant huge processing power to the cluster and that's great.
So off i go to build my cluster.
Thanks again guys
|Quantum|
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: What about this Reply with quote

I started clustering a few days ago.
It didn't escape my attention that there is an API to control the process of migrating under OpenMosix.
My question: isn't it possible to create a Mosix-aware make (or pmake)? The new make could for example query available nodes dynamically and dispatch parallel builds directly to the available nodes (or let OpenMosix do it, in any case make them migrate at once).
If not, why isn't it possible to let OpenMosix migrate directly on command? (but it *is* possible, otherwise there wouldn't be a command like 'migrate'...).

In the meantime I've configured my make to do -jx , where x = twice the number of available processors. This way I stress the host-cpu more, which results in more and slower processes, which can consequently migrate afterall. It works more or less for me ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: