Strangeness with bittorrent downloads
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarball
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Strangeness with bittorrent downloads Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently downloading a couple of bittorrent files. If I do ls -l in the directory where the download is being written is claims the file is 1.8GB in size (this is the size of the complete file) but if I do du -sh ./file it displays the actual amount downloaded (eg 762MB). Can anyone explain why ls reports the size as the complete file size but du reports the actual size.

Also, I just noticed that ls -l reports the total directory size correctly but still reports that the file is 1.8GB

Cheers
Sgaduuw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ls -l" shows you the size that has been allocated by bittorrent for your download
"du -sh" will show you the size that is actually in use on your disk
Tarball
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how could bittorrent allocate 1.8GB without creating a file of that size on the disk?

Also, why would ls -l report total directory size of 700MB but list one of the files as 1.8GB???
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that bittorrent will create a file of emptyness that is the size of the final file, and as parts are downloaded their added in bit by bit. This makes sure that the download can't be stopped halfway through because of a lack of disk space, and I'm sure it does other funtions as well. Of course, this will play tricks on your mind while the file is downloading, but that's a small price to pay for whatever you're getting ;).
Tarball
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, still not got my head around this. How would you create a 1.8GB file of 'emptyness'. Even if the file is all zeros surely it is still going to be occupying 1.8GB of disk space???
Kenadin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't exactly know how the filesystem stuff works, but Bittorrent needs to tell the computer it needs a certain amout of space for the file you are downloading and your computer will allocate that space for the file. This is done because the file is not downloaded sequentually with bittorrent. It downloads different segments of the file from different host at the same time so you could be downloading the end of the file and the beginning at the same time and therefore that space must be already allocated so it can be placed in a correct spot to prevent fragmentation. Dunno if that helps, but thats my understanding of it.
Random Task
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way (I think) it works is that your filesystem sets aside 'blocks' that represent the space that your torrent file(s) will occupy. Then as you actually get the stuff the real information will get 'filled in'.

I noticed this when I had to write a simple ftp client for school. I would always write 'x' blocks and yet the file came out bigger than the original. Then I found out that I wasn't specifying the right 'block' size for the final packet, it wasn't the standard 2000 bytes it was say 1500 bytes (this is only an example).

Hope I haven't confused you too much!

You're so drunk you're seeing double...
I've got two guns, one for each of ya!
-Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, Tombstone
Darian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some filesystems can store sparse files more efficently. A sparse file is a file that contains mostly zeros. I know xfs and reiserfs do this. I would supsect that any journaled filesystem could do it because data written to the disk is already being stored up in the journal (where it could be analized for this sort of property) before getting written to the filesystem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: