Arcade Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abarrett79
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Arcade Gentoo Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm looking to make a livecd for an arcade machine. I'm looking to have a few emulators, movie player, and a music player. Easiest way seems to be in X. What I'm looking for is any tips or tricks on what to cut out of gentoo for the livecd, and also any suggestions for a ui. I would like to use a html file as an interface if it's possible, another thought I had was using a joystick as a pointing device. I will be using a TV screen for a display, so resolution will be limited to 640x480. Any help/pointers are much appreciated.

TIA
Andy
abarrett79
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of talking to myself....
I didnt realize how much room gentoo took up when installing. with a stage 2 tarball and emerge sync/ emerge -u portage i'm almost up to a gig already :(
obviously i can suck out the compilers when its all set, right?
I'm also deleting the manpages and docs. Where else can I cut some fat?
Also, has anyone had luck with mame? Is there an alternative to icc?
And what kind of specs does it take to run n64, its dog slow here, and my puter isnt very old!
blue.sca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps a good way to see, whats needed is to view some knoppix cds. they run x and even kde and few apps on one cd.
of course you could delete the whole portage tree, all sources etc.

[edit]
god f*cking english and its similar sounding words ;)
teknomage1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knoppix uses a compressed file sytem on the cd to store ~1.4 gigs of data on a normal cd. Once you delet the portage distfiles and portage itself --i mean what's the use without a compiler...---you might get some space back. And then there's dietlibc and some other stuff to shrink files. And you don't really need gnome or kde when ou just want to play gams so maybe a box wm could save some space...
FRiO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in doing this... I'm thinking of using Xfce4 for a WM as it's nice, light, and easy to use via a TV interface (mmm, big icons for launchers :D). Plus, that way you can use GXMame and the GTK menu for MPlayer...

As to weight, I found that compressing a full portage tree (admittedly, with packages up to stage 3 built) took up 650 megs. So get rid of portage and the compilers entirely once it's made, that'll save you some space. Also clear out /var/tmp - where all the compile temp files are stored. Some may be there by mistake.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: