View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: dwm suddenly refuses to start properly Reply with quote

OK, that's new:
I try to start dwm over LightDM, the .profile file (containing feh) is visibly executed and the dwm process is running, but there is no bar and not a single hotkey works. I can't do anything except kill dwm to get back to LightDM and choose a different window manager.

Is there a log to debug that?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check Xorg.log. Or else start your desktop session from the Command line, using startx or just X command and see if the problem persists. The startx command is usually already going to have the session set to the same as your login manager (lightdm), but if you use X then you will need to specify the session as an argument in the command. Of course the first thing to do would be to quit the session or service for xdm so that you can start a X session from a tty.

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the first thing I checked, but there are no errors in it.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or else start your desktop session from the Command line, using startx or just X command and see if the problem persists. The startx command is usually already going to have the session set to the same as your login manager (lightdm), but if you use X then you will need to specify the session as an argument in the command. Of course the first thing to do would be to quit the session or service for xdm so that you can start a X session from a tty.
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a simple way to use startx without disabling LightDM?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a simple way to use startx without disabling LightDM?

Not sure why you would want to do that, but the short answer is probably not. LightDM runs inside of an X session.,,I am not sure but startx tends to not be kind to starting another server for X when there is one already running. That could be since it is a front end script for the more overall session control via the X command, which is why what you asked is not that terribly complicated to do with X but it wouldn't probably work with startx either. My guess is the problem is with dwm, before posting any configuration or debugging, have you tried to reinstall dwm yet? How does LightDM work with other window managers you mentioned in your original post. If you do not have another window manager installed, just merge i3 or twm to test it with either one. If the problem is with lightdm then those should not work as well.

By the way, with dwm did you make changes to the configuration files? Reinstalling will not always replace all configuration files especially those in your user folder, under /home.

One way to check is to get a list of all files installed by the package, including configuration files, which can be done with equery (portage tools).

Maybe you can narrow it down to a configuration issue or else provide some further error like messages for the situation. Other logs to check would be the system log, user log, and authentication logs in /var/log.
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail fo find any log regarding dwm - and I did, indeed, modify the config.h configuration file; but I restarted dwm since then without a problem. It was only the latest reboot that seems to have broken it for no obvious reason.

Reinstalling with a clean configuration did not help though. :(
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure but I'd be willing to bet the problem is still with that configuration file for dwm...but other things that could be responsible include if you did upgrade your kernel in between the last time it worked and now, and if so then did you remember to also rebuild Xorg drivers they could be responsible for many problems in the described situation.
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't. :(
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use startx to test what happens in another X session. When I initially suggested it and you asked for a simple way to do this I had ruled out this approach because I felt that running a second session was a risk on top of the already possibly compromised first X session which anyone with experience troubleshooting linux desktops knows is a pain.

But if what you want is a simple way that may not be that accurate and could actually distort results at the same time then try running a second session with this command: startx - :1

Just some suggestion about trying to get help from this forum, generally until you post detail about what is going on with your system like either messages or output from the system then a lot of people are not going to waste efforts in to troubleshoot. Finding a log file is sometimes enough, but even that is often not enough. But one thing that could help is if you treat this like faulty software, then start with the following":
Post back with the following:
1)
Code:
emerge --info dwm xorg-server

2) your Xorg configuration files (since the problem as you mentioned originally seems to involve both interfacing with gui both with mouse and keyboard)
3) Also feel free to include configurations for dwm, you mentioned that those were tinkered with, but you have not provided anything here
NOTE: If you need to install a pastebin tool so that you do not need to dump a bunch of text into the message body of the forum thread.

I will explain why the information thus far has not been adequate towards resolving now... Because there is no system messages to refer to in terms of a problem (as I mentioned) that is why at this point even though it doesn't seem like the kernel is at fault, but it very well still could be. What else can you remember in terms of either installations, changes to the system, etc. between the two boots when it did and didn't work?

Something else to think about is that since you can recreate this issue (right?), but each and every time you are trying to launch the X session the same way by using the service setting in openrc (I assume) and the Login Manager. Hence my suggestion that you try it using X or startx from the command line. If you need more specific details about how to specify the window manager, then just try a google search for something like "how to run 2 X sessions with different display managers".

Hopefully this helps more than confuses!

sorry for continuing to edit...I'm done now
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry - I was somewhat busy.
Here's what you asked:

# emerge --info dwm xorg-server | wgetpaste
--> https://paste.pound-python.org/show/eSPwdIxh3kairg6E08sf/

Xorg configuration files
--> I don't seem to have one...? At least xorg.conf.d only has a 20opengl.conf file.

configurations for dwm
--> https://paste.pound-python.org/show/caba7Cjrxl9ZhtNuOraQ/
I only changed the terminal IIRC - but that's what is loaded when compiling.

Quote:
What else can you remember in terms of either installations, changes to the system, etc. between the two boots when it did and didn't work?

That's the funny thing: I did not touch anything related to dwm. I updated my .profile (with an updated statusbar), I tested it and that was that. Uncommenting my changes and defaulting back to dwm's "date" call does not solve the issue here, so I can exclude that it is related. (FWIW, here's my .profile anyway.)

Quote:
since you can recreate this issue (right?)

Yes, I can still not use it.

Quote:
by using the service setting in openrc (I assume) and the Login Manager.

It looks like lightdm just loads the dwm session file, so: yes.
Sorry for another dumb question, but:

Quote:
try a google search for something like "how to run 2 X sessions with different display managers".

That leads me here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/221762/how-to-run-2-x-sessions-with-different-display-managers

However, startx dwm -- :1 vt8 complains that "dwm" would not work ...

Thank you for the details about why my question was too fuzzy. I'll try and learn from it! :)
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]However, startx dwm -- :1 vt8 complains that "dwm" would not work ...
[/quot]
That really should be a telling sign, but just to be sure, since I don't know if the syntax is correct in the above, and I didn't look at the link you provided, but try specifying the ENTIRE PATH TO the location of the window manager. If you don't know what that is, exactly you can use the which command (I think) to figure it out, or else check with equery f which packages were installed by dwm.

Somehow I don't think this command is doing what we want it to do. In this format that is, since I don't know that it will work when I typed something similar into my terminal it started another "default" window manager. But when I changed it to the full file path that way worked.

Give it a try and if that seems to fix it, then I think we can narrow it down to a faulty session file probably for the login manager...skipping forward, do you want to provide the configuration for lightdm if you haven't already? Somewhere that will show which sessions it is reading when launching a new session. I think it is called lightdm.conf (did you attach that already?!)
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm:

Code:
$ which dwm
/usr/bin/dwm

Could that work?

Code:
$ startx /usr/bin/dwm -- :1 vt8

8O

Now I have a non-working dwm with .profile (the feh background image is visible but nothing else is) on TTY7 and a working dwm without .profile (no status bar modifications, no background image, English keyboard layout - dwm itself works nicely) on TTY8. Good! So what's next? Since I already ruled out the possibility of a broken .profile, something seems to break the "usual" way to start dwm.

lightdm.conf (I did not modify it AFAIK):
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/OEgR8cPV3RayPwC4PnYZ/

Since a Window Maker session works and a dwm session does not, it might be relevant to attach the dwm session file as well:

/etc/X11/Sessions/dwm:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/iRJwyk4yxcqeor5opWRI/

I don't have a $HOME/.dwm directory anymore - so it should only start dwm. I wonder why it does not. The lightdm.log files won't help, except for a missing driver (which I only recently removed and I might need to recompile something) in x-0.log, everything seems normal:

/var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/9x87gAkDM52vtyUfjrzj/

/var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/bmMJLLvDk5mPY8wNkmTP/

/var/log/lightdm/x-0.log:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/y6QC4EAD49PZZN4lSZBg/

We're getting closer, I guess. For now, I'll take a nap. :)
Thank you for your time!
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ‘pun’guin well here is my best advice. Startx and dwm work so have you considered just reinstalling lightdm?

It looks like your config file for that is the default because every line is commented out. So that does not mean anytgingbif gor example a library is missing or broken dependency or something in Portage. So I would like to see the package info (once again) for lightdm. And I would still recommend double checking the functionality of dwm is perfect, or compromised in amy way using the start approach

And then please post if you have not already the package build info for lightdm, using emerge —info lightdm (is what i think the package atom name is)

Additional note: Your setup sounds very similar to my own except that i use SLiM so in case your unhappy with lightdm in this case maybe just try eith a new login managr
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Startx and dwm work so have you considered just reinstalling lightdm?

I just did. It did not fix the problems.

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
It looks like your config file for that is the default because every line is commented out.

Probably. I tend to not configure things just for configuring them.

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
So I would like to see the package info (once again) for lightdm.

So, emerge --info lightdm?
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/OQ2mcX6EpWBA8dPPG9ua/

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
And I would still recommend double checking the functionality of dwm is perfect, or compromised in amy way using the start approach

The hotkeys work, the bar works, there is not so much functionality to test. :)

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Your setup sounds very similar to my own except that i use SLiM so in case your unhappy with lightdm in this case maybe just try eith a new login managr

I actually switched from SLiM to LightDM because SLiM seems to be abandoned now.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in a bit of a spot with this one. lightdm is running in a "service" mode since just like gdm, sdm, or xdm it relies on openrc service usually, unless you are using some other configurtion which is highly unlikely.

Therefore at this point, to recap
1. You've tested dwm and it works with your X configuration and server (no problems there)
2. You've reinstalled lightdm and the problem has not been fixed
3. It is time now to check further configurations because emerge or reinstall will not fix a problem by itself that you setup with either overrides or wrong configurations. (Luckily X works and you won't have to mess with that, which means this should be an easy find I think).

My suggestion is either include some debugging like the rc.log is where I would suggest starting, and also include session files within the folders that lightdm uses to launch a session of dwm. Since we have isolated the problem to something having to do with the interplay between both lightdm and dwm, the best thing would be to include the session files located in /usr/share/sessions, or in /etc/X11/ where there could be something happening there as well.

A quicker way to identify if the problem with lightdm is related to a bigger issue (e.g. GUI, X11, toolkit issue) would be to test it with another window manager besides lightdm. Have you done so?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the lightdm wiki page, and based on the need for dbus, could you please include the following output:
Code:
$ rc-update
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a file at
Quote:
session-wrapper=/etc/lightdm/Xsession
, this was from the default confgurtion you posted. Seems like it could be related if not responsible for some issues (if it exists then include here)
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
My suggestion is either include some debugging like the rc.log is where I would suggest starting

Where would I find that file?

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
the best thing would be to include the session files located in /usr/share/sessions, or in /etc/X11/ where there could be something happening there as well.

Hmm, I actually posted the dwm session file above. But for completeness reasons:
sessions.tbz (this will be deleted some day)

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
A quicker way to identify if the problem with lightdm is related to a bigger issue (e.g. GUI, X11, toolkit issue) would be to test it with another window manager besides lightdm. Have you done so?

I use Window Maker from LightDM in order to use Gentoo, and there is no issue with it.

Code:
rc-update

Output:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/1nLUf4VLl08qqMn8Mx6g/
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Do you have a file at
Quote:
session-wrapper=/etc/lightdm/Xsession

Yes, I do. Seems to be the default one.
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/gWgrSdgYg2QGMS30pYtX/
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STRIKE ALL BELOW (see next post for more info)
Set rc logging to verbose mode in /etc/portage/make.conf I believe.

Then in terms of the default configuration files here is what you need to understand...a default config is just that (it is a configuration that may work in most default situations). What it is not is perfect. If you need to test and alter things in that configuration for your setup there is really only one of two ways to go.

The preferred way of the forum for troubleshooting is going to be to institute more debug information in the log (either rc.log, or if lightdm has a log as /var/log/lightdm.log), but I also would advise experimenting with the configurations but only after saving a backup file.

That way this thing that could have probably been fixed already by now (hence needing to see some errors from system output) would be more efficiently handled, instead of this cat and mouse game :)- IT SEEMS WE'RE PLAYING HERE.

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the runaround. I guess you are definitely after getting this solved with the approach of logs, as your OP says.

Try turning on rc logging.

It is not as I mentioned in make.conf

But in /etc/rc.conf
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the rc.conf entry. rc_logger is set to "NO" though - would it still work?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set to yes and then try restarting service for xdm. At worst you may just try to reboot after making the change to rc.conf. But I think it should work right away. What your looking for is something in rc.log that would show how come xdm is hanging like if it can't load the keyboard, or something like that.

If that doesn't show anything then it may be time for some more X debugging, but that seems like a waste given the situation you described of other window managers all seeming to work in conjunction with lightdm.

I haven't actually checked around to see, but it may be worth noting the possibility of another source somewhere that better describes a proper config for lightdm (tiny application running behind the larger environment of GUI and X session etc.) in terms of how to propery configure that for dwm specifically.
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set both rc_logger and rc_verbose to "YES", restarted xdm - and: no log file. I have not modified the commented out path "/var/log/rc.log", so one should think that it should be there - but it is not. :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: