Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxfluesterer wrote:
I think, it would be easier to begin new installation than to follow (slow) reinstallation of xfce4-terminal.
I disagree. Terminal emulators are generally lightweight, so it's almost certainly less trouble to fix this than to recompile everything.
linuxfluesterer wrote:
And as I said, one error I had, was the absence of the following program / app / routine while emerging this xfce4-terminal:

window.h: no file or directory

In Google I found an explanation, that this routine is necessary for the Windows OS (or I'm wrong?).
You are thinking of windows.h, plural. It is an easy mistake to make, since Microsoft named a major product line after such a generic term.
linuxfluesterer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
linuxfluesterer wrote:
I think, it would be easier to begin new installation than to follow (slow) reinstallation of xfce4-terminal.
I disagree. Terminal emulators are generally lightweight, so it's almost certainly less trouble to fix this than to recompile everything.
linuxfluesterer wrote:
And as I said, one error I had, was the absence of the following program / app / routine while emerging this xfce4-terminal:

window.h: no file or directory

In Google I found an explanation, that this routine is necessary for the Windows OS (or I'm wrong?).
You are thinking of windows.h, plural. It is an easy mistake to make, since Microsoft named a major product line after such a generic term.

You're right. I found the same issue (quoted):

-->I got this error under Ubuntu 16.10:

make profile-build ARCH=x86-64-bmi2

tt.cpp:28:21: fatal error: windows.h: No such file or directory
#include "windows.h" <---

here:
https://github.com/Zerbinati/SugaR/issues/1
with the difference, I tried to emerge xfce4-terminal with Gentoo gcc and Gentoo on board tools.

So, how can I solve this issue with Gentoo emerging xfce4-terminal? I mean, why do I receive this error (and other Gentoo users don't)?

-Linuxfluesterer
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know, is this during build of vte (a dependency of xfce4-terminal), some other dependency, or xfce4-terminal itself? This is why I want to see the full context, and then someone can try to see if they can replicate the problem...

Does vte at least build, can you run vte?

---
EDIT:

Took a quick grep through ncurses, vte, and xfce4-terminal and didn't see any references to windows.h ... did not allow them to build so if this was in a generated file, I would not get it...
linuxfluesterer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I still don't know, is this during build of vte (a dependency of xfce4-terminal), some other dependency, or xfce4-terminal itself? This is why I want to see the full context, and then someone can try to see if they can replicate the problem...

Does vte at least build, can you run vte?

---
EDIT:

Took a quick grep through ncurses, vte, and xfce4-terminal and didn't see any references to windows.h ... did not allow them to build so if this was in a generated file, I would not get it...

I can't say much here. Just, tried to go on emerging xfce4-meta and received a new error, while emerging sub package /media-gfx/exiv2
Code:

/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131/src/basicio.cpp:53:22: fatal error: process.h: No such file or directory
 # include <process.h>
                      ^
compilation terminated.
distcc[30639] ERROR: compile /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131/src/basicio.cpp on localhost failed
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/exiv2lib.dir/build.make:471: src/CMakeFiles/exiv2lib.dir/basicio.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131/src/convert.cpp: In function 'bool {anonymous}::convertStringCharsetIconv(std::__cxx11::string&, const char*, const char*)':
/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131/src/convert.cpp:1553:31: error: invalid conversion from 'const char**' to 'char**' [-fpermissive]
                               &inptr,
                               ^~~~~~
In file included from /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131/src/convert.cpp:59:0:
/usr/include/iconv.h:42:15: note:   initializing argument 2 of 'size_t iconv(iconv_t, char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)'
 extern size_t iconv (iconv_t __cd, char **__restrict __inbuf,
               ^~~~~
distcc[30644] ERROR: compile /var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131/src/convert.cpp on localhost failed
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/exiv2lib.dir/build.make:567: src/CMakeFiles/exiv2lib.dir/convert.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131-abi_x86_64.amd64'
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:238: src/CMakeFiles/exiv2lib.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131-abi_x86_64.amd64'
make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2
 * ERROR: media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131-abi_x86_64.amd64'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131'

>>> Failed to emerge media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/temp/build.log'
 * Messages for package media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319:
 * ERROR: media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131-abi_x86_64.amd64'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/exiv2-0.26_p20180319/work/Exiv2-exiv2-876b131'

I think, for a beginner, I receive too many errors which confuse me in learning using Gentoo and I do not understand why I do receive such errors on my Gentoo.
Therefor I had asked for a clean installed basic Gentoo, which does not produce errors when simply just installing xfce
And, I saw, that some of the sub packages are about Plasma (kde-plasma-breeze, kde-frameworks...) Why, pls, are there packages of Plasma in a minimal installation of xfce? I'm really confused, because I did not want to emerge many, many packages for a minimal desktop.

-Linuxfluesterer
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen so many build errors like this when merging xfce4 which I've done many times through portage now, it almost brings me back to the time when I had to build individual dependencies manually. Most of the compilation problems should have been worked out by the portage maintainers so you shouldn't see these problems.

Which version/datestamp of the minimal installer CD did you start with?
Are you using overlays?
How old is your portage mirror? (cat /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp )
Could you post your emerge --info ? Any special USE flags, masks, or accept_keywords are being used?

Is the rest of your system up to date? What other outstanding packages do you need to update?

One important debug step is to disable distcc, disable pump mode, etc. to see if it helps. A lot of the time it does help -- indicating a distcc problem, possibly with the remote machines.
linuxfluesterer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Update to XFCE with Systemd Reply with quote

Hallo friends.
I'm astonished about more than 1300 reads of this, my thread, though I found out, that in a bit mind, this topic has been asked about 2 years before, which could have solved my problem also:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7944310.html?sid=4ee3d3590e8373eaef5b0753d21f00ec

I read the authors suggestion
(Quote):" Since not exists a desktop/systemd profile, imo the best way is setting systemd profile (for the proper settings of systemd) and than add desktop use flag manually in make.conf. You can see default desktop profile use flag in /usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/make.defaults ."

.. but this did not work for me...

In between, I was busy with looking for an older laptop, stronger than my Core2Duo, now I have found acore i5 DualCore with 4 threads and 2,6 GHertz of speed.
Then I began at zero, cleaned my hdd, took my Gentoo live boot USB stick and now, I will forget about the XFCE, which troubled me too much.

I intent to install a Gentoo with Systemd / Plasma profile on this stronger laptop.

So, this means, I will close this thread as [UNSOLVED]

But due to dependency problems with Plasma I will open another thread with a new topic here in this forum.

At any rate, thank you for your help here in this thread.

-Linuxfluesterer
grumblebear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running xfce4 and systemd on a desktop profile for a long time without problems. Instead of fiddling with use flags the other way round, the only thing to do is emerging systemd and blocking openrc with
Code:
echo '-*sys-apps/openrc' >> /etc/portage/profile/packages

Maybe in the meantime I have forgotten one or two steps but basically that should still work.
linuxfluesterer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumblebear wrote:
I am running xfce4 and systemd on a desktop profile for a long time without problems. Instead of fiddling with use flags the other way round, the only thing to do is emerging systemd and blocking openrc with
Code:
echo '-*sys-apps/openrc' >> /etc/portage/profile/packages

Maybe in the meantime I have forgotten one or two steps but basically that should still work.

While I began to install a Systemd Plasma environment, I searched around for further XFCE/Systemd environment and found something similar with blocking.
I haven't tried that, maybe next time on another low power laptop.
Anyway, I would like to know, why isn't openrc automatically blocked, when installing / setting profile systemd due to obviously inconsistence?

However, thank you for your (I assume) helpful hint.

-Linuxfluesterer
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having both installed will not cause compilation/emerge issues.

I'm beginning to think there were some custom edits to the installation that are causing the issues at hand... Manual "upgrades" out of portage will cause assumptions to fail and cause these kinds of issues... though of course it's not certain that they are causing them.
grumblebear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Update to XFCE with Systemd Reply with quote

linuxfluesterer wrote:

I read the authors suggestion
(Quote):" Since not exists a desktop/systemd profile, imo the best way is setting systemd profile (for the proper settings of systemd) and than add desktop use flag manually in make.conf. You can see default desktop profile use flag in /usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/make.defaults ."

.. but this did not work for me...

I just made a suggestion for a simpler recipe to create a clean desktop/systemd profile. And for completeness, I forgot an important instruction:
Add to your use flags in make.conf "-openrc systemd".
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to try a systemd/gnome profile, at least that's what works for me. I think all my systemd boxes have Gnome 3 installed but I don't really use it...
n05ph3r42
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, would this help, but noticed, that you have intel HD GPU. There is a bug, related to xf86-intel-video and xfwm-4.13. https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=614564 Try to disable opengl flag for xfwm4.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh not a good sign for my laptop...it doesn't like gdm due to lack of entropy, now xfce4 has problems too?

Alas the OP is having build problems, not runtime problems, so not quite there to deal with graphics problems, yet :)
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfce is basically gnome light, so I would go with the gnome profile (which should pull in systemd).
prffzc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirm this solution worked for me too - recompiling xfwm4 without opengl.

Problems were:
frozen workspace (could not move to another one - ctrl+1 did not do anything)
unusable windows or actually one the on top window was usable
linuxfluesterer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
It takes a lot to make a Gentoo box unrecoverable, but more information is needed to help debug.
Screenshots will be necessary, or post lines from build.log ... The location of build.log should be specified in the merge failure output. Post the exact location of the file too, since that path contains the exact package that's being built and have trouble.

Consider, pls. I started with a new installed Gentoo, with selecting profiles to begin with an easy constellation, fast and efficiently.
However, today I don't need this constallation (XFCE with Systemd) anymore, because I already have installed (emerged) a complete Plasma 5.13.4. To pronounce: with your help and support here.

So, thank you, again.

-Linuxfluesterer
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: