View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maf
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Why is libreoffice not modular? Reply with quote

Hi guys, something tells me this has been answered already, but I found nothing, so I have to ask: Why the hell is libreoffice not modular? Are there any technical/political reasons for it? I'm pretty sick of having to recompile this monster as whole when all I have been using for years are Writer and Calc.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases, the Gentoo maintainers will not make substantial alterations to the upstream project. The likely explanation is that upstream does not support it, so the Gentoo maintainers would need to add it through distribution-specific patches. If the upstream build system is modular, then it may simply be that no one has cared enough to expose that functionality in the ebuild. In that case, it might be easy to change.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. I've just checked in Lubuntu 18.04 ( a.k.a. Bionic Beaver :roll: ) on my family's PC, and LibreOffice is modular:

Code:
$ apt -q list libreoffice* | grep installed

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-base/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
libreoffice-base-core/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-base-drivers/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-calc/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
libreoffice-common/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
libreoffice-core/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-draw/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
libreoffice-help-en-gb/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
libreoffice-help-en-us/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
libreoffice-help-es/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
libreoffice-help-pt/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
libreoffice-help-pt-br/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
libreoffice-impress/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
libreoffice-java-common/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-l10n-en-gb/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-l10n-en-za/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
libreoffice-l10n-es/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
libreoffice-l10n-pt/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
libreoffice-l10n-pt-br/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-math/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-style-galaxy/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-style-tango/bionic,bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
libreoffice-writer/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]

(That particular installation has British English, US English, Brazilian Portuguese and Castilian Spanish locales installed, hence the multiple help packages and l10n packages).

Fitzcarraldo's blog
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Why is libreoffice not modular? Reply with quote

Maf wrote:
Hi guys, something tells me this has been answered already, but I found nothing, so I have to ask: Why the hell is libreoffice not modular? Are there any technical/political reasons for it? I'm pretty sick of having to recompile this monster as whole when all I have been using for years are Writer and Calc.

To the point! Excellent idea!
The only flaw: Writer and Calc both are the big chunk to compile (I estimate more than 80%)
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Interesting question. I've just checked in Lubuntu 18.04 ( a.k.a. Bionic Beaver :roll: ) on my family's PC, and LibreOffice is modular:
Are you sure that is modular at build? Most of the binary distributions have the ability to build one upstream project, then generate a group of installable packages from the resulting build output. (This is something I wish Gentoo supported.) The Ubuntu maintainer may have run a monolithic build, then created separate debs for each of the major components. To be modular in Gentoo in the sense requested, it must be possible to instruct the build system to skip whole programs.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wager that is something of a systemd/udev situation. The binaries may be easily separable but the build process is not. Just my speculation.

Would anyone care for a Jelly Baby?

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:

Binary distributions split a lot - AFTER building. With LibreOffice, not even that is possible - a single binary is produced. So whatever Ubuntu does, it is not that, and you'll have to look at package file lists and sizes to know what their splitting actually means. localc, lowriter etc. are simply wrappers around the monolithic libreoffice binary...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: