Major Mistake, Looking for Solution
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkfnord23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Major Mistake, Looking for Solution Reply with quote

I recently blasted by /usr directory with a
chown -R root:users *
because i thought i was in a different directory. So obviously, everything has the wrong permissions. Other than /usr/sbin, which I imagine should be owned by root:root, I have no clue what the exact permissions should be. Note that this includes /usr/bin and the portage directory. Do I need to reinstall? Reinstalling is going to be annoying.

Matt
beowulf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't most things in /usr owned by root:root anyways? Luckily it wasn't chmod command eh :)

Anyways, I ran this command:
Code:

# su -
# cd /usr
# find -not -group root -not -user root -exec ls -l {} \; 2>/dev/null >/root/non.root.files

And came up with this list:
Code:

-rw-r--r--    1 bin      bin          1563 Jan 13 21:54 ./include/gdbm/dbm.h
-rw-r--r--    1 bin      bin          2003 Jan 13 21:54 ./include/gdbm/ndbm.h
-rw-r--r--    1 bin      bin          4744 Jan 13 21:54 ./include/gdbm.h
-rw-r--r--    1 bin      bin          5192 Jan 13 21:54 ./share/man/man3/gdbm.3.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 bin      bin          8696 Jan 13 21:54 ./share/info/gdbm.info.gz
-rwsr-xr-x    1 lp       lp           8996 Jan 20 00:07 ./bin/lppasswd

Maybe the fix is to
Code:

chown root:root /usr/*
chown games:games /usr/games

and then manually fix any files that match the list above? Maybe other's can help flesh out the list...
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out my /usr directory. The vast majority of the files in /usr are owned by root. I see the occasional user/group set as something else, mainly bin, user, 1000, or an individual user name.

Packages that look like they emerge files with user/groups other than root include:

svgalibs
binutils
gdbm
kdemultimedia
xmms-themes

any games program

I think that if you just reemerge these, if you have them installed, the permissions will be set back to where they should be. If you have any package that looks like it's misbehaving, you can always reemerge that package too.

Hope this helps.

And just to tweak the command line advocates out there: this probably would not have happened if you were using a GUI to manage your files. :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: