Afraid to sync after Github hack
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Afraid to sync after Github hack Reply with quote

Where did the topics about it go?
I posted in a topic in this forum yesterday, where did it go?
If it was moved, why isn't there a placeholder topic telling people that it moved to new place?

I don't like this one bit. Are you trying to suppress comments on the issue?

Still, I haven't synced since 4 days and I don't like that.
Is it safe to sync?

This is a big issue why is it handled so poorly?
As if that's "no big deal, business as usual".
It's not it IS a BIG DEAL.

There was also a thread by some guy posting a bash script to compare repos, in portage and programming forum of this forum, and it's gone too.
What is going on here?

Last edited by dalu on Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its right here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1083230.html

yes its fine to sync, as long as you're using an official rsync mirror https://www.gentoo.org/support/rsync-mirrors/

the only affected tree was the one on github which users shouldn't be syncing against anyways.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Afraid to sync after Github hack Reply with quote

dalu wrote:
Where did the topics about it go? I posted in a topic in this forum yesterday, where did it go? If it was moved, why isn't there a placeholder topic telling people that it moved to new place?

dalu ... threads get merged so that related discussions are in one place, that happens frequently, nothing unusual.

dalu wrote:
I don't like this one bit. Are you trying to suppress comments on the issue?

If those comments are speculative overreactions then it's probably best to do that, because the last thing you need in these situations is the blind leading the blind ... but, no, nothing has been "suppressed" ... and I should know, I'm the head honcho in the conspiracy :)

dalu wrote:
This is a big issue why is it handled so poorly? As if that's "no big deal, business as usual". It's not it IS a BIG DEAL.

No, it's absolutely not "a big deal", as hacks go its so trivial an issue that it makes any overreaction seem worse than the issue itself.

dalu wrote:
There was also a thread by some guy posting a bash script to compare repos, in portage and programming forum of this forum, and it's gone too.

No, it's not gone, it's here ... but as I explain later in that thread (here, here and here) the comparison of the manifests isn't going to reveal anything (because the manifests were most likely not regenerated).

dalu wrote:
What is going on here?

Nothing ... unless you have evidence to the contrary?

best ... khay
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No supported sync source was affected. So before you panic, simply check where you sync from, and if you can't make sense of the information on gentoo.org, just ask if you are fine with your setting.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalu,

To try to keep all the information and speculation in one place, mods merge threads. When threads are merged there is no 'ghost' moved from post as that would defeat the purpose.
Mods usually lead a merged post to say that things have been merged.

This will soon be yesterdays news. While its hot now, having hundreds of threads doesn't help the usability of the forums now or in the future.

The one thread that I (I don't speak for the forums admin/mods team) would like to keep, is sticky to make it easy to find.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: