[SOLVED] Nest steps
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Nest steps Reply with quote

Hi, all,

Successfully install and booted both laptops (and learning from all the mistakes I made with those two little ones, I'm relatively sure that I have the desktop set up correctly to boot to login as well, although I haven't done so because of a lack of any sort of GUI - I'm writing this from the chroot via SRCD on the desktop).

So, simple question - or is it? My next steps, having followed the handbook through its conclusion, and having read through the entire portage stuff as well as the networking stuff - would those be, seeing as I am interested in GUIs on all three machines - to work through the Xogr wiki / guide (both, really, as they seem complementary) and then XFCE (my personal choice) wiki / guide (again, both)? Or is there something I should be looking at first (as in pre-reqs for GUI / DWM) that I should tackle first?

My goal is to have the laptops for daily use, such as browsing, etc., nothing more, though I have made modules on the slightly more power AMD-based Lenovo in case I ever want to run a virtual machine on it (and run Windows 10 in that VM). The desktop will most definitely be running a VM running WinX (not XP, X - as in Roman numeral 10) as I still need access to Windows, and really, truly do not want to dual boot - I want my Gentoo working all the time, to make it easier to keep the learning process going. But Links is just not for me - and I still have some hardware configs to work through, particularly on the laptops - verifying sound, establishing wireless (both currently wired), etc.

Other than that, it should be a while before I have to post here again - these run throughs on all three machines have proven elightening, and I hope I was not annoying with my questions - most problems I ran into GWMF and I found either a post or three here in the forums with the same exact problem, or else I doubled back and checked multiple references to see if I (inadverntently) missed a step that was necessary for successful completion of whatever my objective was.

I have to say that I found the vast majority of my problems solved right here in the forums, and for those questions I still had to ask, a wide variety of experts stepped up and, as Neddy (and others) is fond of saying, "...taught me how to fish." So, thanks to you all, every single one of you, that responded to my queries, listened to my thoughts and provided better logic, or in more than one case, complementary logic, to guide me, and helped alleviate my confusion when I simply did not understand.

Of course, as my desktop is verifiably ancient in and of itself, I'm due for a refresh - and I'm eyeing the new Ryzen Threadripper II (when it finally comes out) to build a new Beast (Mark VI) of a machine, and I'll probably be back here then as I tackle a Gentoo install on brand new hardware versus tried, tested and true half a (human) generation old hardware lol. But until then, after this question it is most likely gonna be me saying "So long, and thanks for all the fish(ing tips)."
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.

Last edited by johngalt on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I just thought about this - I should probably have said something in the OP, but I forgot...

I decided to be a wise-arse, and take my installations one step further - since they were brand new bare metal installs, I opted to take the plung into the 17.1 multilib-strict profile right at install - the process was easy as pie, and I've had 0 installation issues using 17.1 across all three machines.

I figured, based upon the fact that the news item mentions that this will be a sure thing in the future (as if I really have such a crystal ball) I decided I might as well do it now and save me a ton of headaches later on.

Other than that, nothing too radical - LVM on all three machines, all three using SSDs, and a working single kernel boot (for now - I've got hardware modules to trace down to finalize my kernels for all three). The desktop is going to be a peach, once I get all my data migrated, I have a pair of Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB Mech drives that I can throw into a RAID on the desktop for use with things that people often recommend placing on platters versus SSD NAND....

Anyhoo, though I'd throw that in there, just in case anyone is wondering why it seemed to take me 2 months to get Gentoo installed 8O
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started working through Xorg, and will tackle XFCE once I have X working. After that - well, I get to figure out new things to play with and / or break.

Amen.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngalt,

You will find lots of broken stuff on the forums or in #gentoo on irc.freenod.net that you can fix.
There is no need to break your own stuff :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - found a couple already lol.

But I was referring purely to my own machines - I learn faster when I break something (or it inadvertently breaks itself, for whatever reason) and I then have to go find the fix(es).

Amen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: